X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend179
    View Post

Reason I use 16gb is so I can run a RAMdisc with the last 8gb.

Kooter, what I mean is that the motherboard and processor you have selected are workstation quality- they support and do a lot of things that you'll never ever use unless you're doing programming or video editing. You're spending a lot of money on components you'll never ever ever use, when there are cheaper (yet still massively overkill) components out there that would let you put cash into other things that WILL net you a noticeable upgrade (second video card).

Its not gonna be just a gaming computer. I want to do video editing and once I get this computer, I am going to teach myself how to program and website build again. I used to have a site years ago, and have been out of the loop. I have a website idea (music related) that I want to pursue and I want the best of everything so I will get motivated and strap down to at least try to build the ****************in website. It's a killer idea, that I know everybody on here would use.
    I'm reaching up and reaching out.
    I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me.
    And following our will and wind, we may just go where no one's been.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend179
      View Post

Reason I use 16gb is so I can run a RAMdisc with the last 8gb.

Kooter, what I mean is that the motherboard and processor you have selected are workstation quality- they support and do a lot of things that you'll never ever use unless you're doing programming or video editing. You're spending a lot of money on components you'll never ever ever use, when there are cheaper (yet still massively overkill) components out there that would let you put cash into other things that WILL net you a noticeable upgrade (second video card).

Its not gonna be just a gaming computer. I want to do video editing and once I get this computer, I am going to teach myself how to program and website build again. I used to have a site years ago, and have been out of the loop. I have a website idea (music related) that I want to pursue and I want the best of everything so I will get motivated and strap down to at least try to build the ****************in website. It's a killer idea, that I know everybody on here would use.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kooter82
        View Post

Mmkay, most everything (and I really do mean most) you want to do could be done with a less expensive rig. If you've got the cash, that's a gnarly system and it'll serve you well. Almost anything will do website design nowadays.
        1975 Gibson Grabber
        2002 G&L L-2000
        2001 SWR Mo'Bass
        Ampeg 610
        MXR M-80

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/72-Parasite.mp3

Comment

View Post

Mmkay, most everything (and I really do mean most) you want to do could be done with a less expensive rig. If you've got the cash, that's a gnarly system and it'll serve you well. Almost anything will do website design nowadays.
          1975 Gibson Grabber
          2002 G&L L-2000
          2001 SWR Mo'Bass
          Ampeg 610
          MXR M-80

Comment

View Post

I know that its overkill, but every PC i do buy is always overkill. My alienware was WAYYYY ahead of its time and lasted me for 10 plus years without a hitch until a while back.

But why not go overkill? Wont it just be better in the long run?

I think the biggest reason to not go crazy is that between the top of the line and a run of the mill system, there isn't much in it. If you can save a grand and have 95% of the performance, why waste the cash? I built my system based on the best prices I could find because I discovered that there hasn't been much advancement in the past 2 years or so. I built a system for a family member with the i5-2500 almost 2 years ago and I just built my i5-3570k system a couple of weeks ago. The performance (when not overclocked) is almost identical.

If you aren't super technical, then I understand having it built. But in this case, I think you are throwing money out there and just wasting it. Rev is right, go back to the 1155 based system and get a second graphics card. If you get an Asus board in there, FanControl2 works amazingly well.
            Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Great Transactions with: blima, draggboy, Pilot08, Elixirmm, Christobevii3, Sixtonoize (actually his friend)

Comment

View Post

I know that its overkill, but every PC i do buy is always overkill. My alienware was WAYYYY ahead of its time and lasted me for 10 plus years without a hitch until a while back.

But why not go overkill? Wont it just be better in the long run?

I think the biggest reason to not go crazy is that between the top of the line and a run of the mill system, there isn't much in it. If you can save a grand and have 95% of the performance, why waste the cash? I built my system based on the best prices I could find because I discovered that there hasn't been much advancement in the past 2 years or so. I built a system for a family member with the i5-2500 almost 2 years ago and I just built my i5-3570k system a couple of weeks ago. The performance (when not overclocked) is almost identical.

If you aren't super technical, then I understand having it built. But in this case, I think you are throwing money out there and just wasting it. Rev is right, go back to the 1155 based system and get a second graphics card. If you get an Asus board in there, FanControl2 works amazingly well.
              Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Great Transactions with: blima, draggboy, Pilot08, Elixirmm, Christobevii3, Sixtonoize (actually his friend)

Comment

I'd +1 on a Cosmos II if it's an option, it's a fantastic, sturdy, quiet case with tons of options. I'm in a HAF X right now and my next case will be a Cosmos II.
                1975 Gibson Grabber
                2002 G&L L-2000
                2001 SWR Mo'Bass
                Ampeg 610
                MXR M-80

Comment

I'd +1 on a Cosmos II if it's an option, it's a fantastic, sturdy, quiet case with tons of options. I'm in a HAF X right now and my next case will be a Cosmos II.
                  1975 Gibson Grabber
                  2002 G&L L-2000
                  2001 SWR Mo'Bass
                  Ampeg 610
                  MXR M-80

Comment

I'm about medium technical right now. lol

I understand where both of you are coming from.

If, hypothetically speaking, I asked you to build the system for me, what would the price you could build that exact system for? Do you think that I am getting seriously boned out of 1000 dollars for that rig? Why not get the top of the line stuff, if I can afford it? Isn't it just going to be that much more compatible in the future?

I'm looking ahead....not just whats suitable for now.

Comment

If, hypothetically speaking, I asked you to build the system for me, what would the price you could build that exact system for? Do you think that I am getting seriously boned out of 1000 dollars for that rig? Why not get the top of the line stuff, if I can afford it? Isn't it just going to be that much more compatible in the future?

Comment

View Post

You're not blowing 1000 dollars. They're a builder (and get discounts on parts) and their price is fair. What we're saying is that the difference between a 1500 dollar system and a 2500 dollar system is 5 percent performance. It's like in the guitar world- is a Blackmachine really 4 thousand dollars better than a Prestige Ibanez?

If you've got the money, that's gonna be a monster rig that will chew up and spit out every single thing that you can throw at it. It's a waste of money IMO (my last rig cost me 900 dollars total, and it plays everything maxed out at 120+fps), but if you want to, I'll be mad jelly.

I'm not a huge fan of the case selected, and watercooling is a recipe for disaster if you're not an enthusiast. fitting corrodes? Bolt loosens over time? Gasket breaks? Kiss your pc goodbye.
                        1975 Gibson Grabber
                        2002 G&L L-2000
                        2001 SWR Mo'Bass
                        Ampeg 610
                        MXR M-80

Comment

View Post

You're not blowing 1000 dollars. They're a builder (and get discounts on parts) and their price is fair. What we're saying is that the difference between a 1500 dollar system and a 2500 dollar system is 5 percent performance. It's like in the guitar world- is a Blackmachine really 4 thousand dollars better than a Prestige Ibanez?

If you've got the money, that's gonna be a monster rig that will chew up and spit out every single thing that you can throw at it. It's a waste of money IMO (my last rig cost me 900 dollars total, and it plays everything maxed out at 120+fps), but if you want to, I'll be mad jelly.

I'm not a huge fan of the case selected, and watercooling is a recipe for disaster if you're not an enthusiast. fitting corrodes? Bolt loosens over time? Gasket breaks? Kiss your pc goodbye.
                          1975 Gibson Grabber
                          2002 G&L L-2000
                          2001 SWR Mo'Bass
                          Ampeg 610
                          MXR M-80

Comment

the rig im on now cost me 950, built it myself, and it runs everything i throw at it without a hitch. i5 2400, 8 gigs of ram, hd 6850 video card. if i got a second card, or upgraded my current, i could more than likely run any game on the full settings and have no problems whatsoever. as it is, i run almost full settings and still never drop below 60 fps, which is fine with me.

no OCing needed (components run faster than hell anyway now...3.1Ghz and 4 cores? why should i need to OC? LOL). and strictly air cooled. i have no need for liquid cooling, its more a gimmick IMO. the only time i had heat related problems was when i neglected to clean the side fan and my graphics card was getting unhappy.

if you want to spend the money, go ahead. but as was stated, you can build a PC that is 95% of the performance for MUCH less. and it will still run everything you throw at it for a while. but its your cash! and its not hard to build it yourself, its mainly just sticking parts in the case and plugging them in. but take your time and route the wires to make it clean, know what i mean?
                            LUCIAN SCOTT : THORNS AND LIES AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD NOW!
                            http://www.myspace.com/lucianscott

http://www.soundclick.com/kisforkate

Gear :
                            ESP LTD Alexi Scythe
                            Jackson RR3
                            Music Man Sub 1
                            Jackson DX10 Dinky
                            Schecter Hellraiser FR
                            Pod XT Live
                            Peavey Rockmaster (Broken)
                            Peavey Classic 120
                            Sansamp PSA-1
                            Mesa Single Rectifier
                            Peavey Ultra Plus
                            Marshall JCM800 4x12
                            Laney AOR 4x12

Good Business With : Shreder75; Drucifer; Juggernaut; mc_carlini

Comment

the rig im on now cost me 950, built it myself, and it runs everything i throw at it without a hitch. i5 2400, 8 gigs of ram, hd 6850 video card. if i got a second card, or upgraded my current, i could more than likely run any game on the full settings and have no problems whatsoever. as it is, i run almost full settings and still never drop below 60 fps, which is fine with me.

no OCing needed (components run faster than hell anyway now...3.1Ghz and 4 cores? why should i need to OC? LOL). and strictly air cooled. i have no need for liquid cooling, its more a gimmick IMO. the only time i had heat related problems was when i neglected to clean the side fan and my graphics card was getting unhappy.

if you want to spend the money, go ahead. but as was stated, you can build a PC that is 95% of the performance for MUCH less. and it will still run everything you throw at it for a while. but its your cash! and its not hard to build it yourself, its mainly just sticking parts in the case and plugging them in. but take your time and route the wires to make it clean, know what i mean?
                              LUCIAN SCOTT : THORNS AND LIES AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD NOW!
                              http://www.myspace.com/lucianscott

http://www.soundclick.com/kisforkate

Gear :
                              ESP LTD Alexi Scythe
                              Jackson RR3
                              Music Man Sub 1
                              Jackson DX10 Dinky
                              Schecter Hellraiser FR
                              Pod XT Live
                              Peavey Rockmaster (Broken)
                              Peavey Classic 120
                              Sansamp PSA-1
                              Mesa Single Rectifier
                              Peavey Ultra Plus
                              Marshall JCM800 4x12
                              Laney AOR 4x12

Good Business With : Shreder75; Drucifer; Juggernaut; mc_carlini

Comment

1. 32GB of RAM lol

2. That case is an abomination...but as long as you like it, go nuts.

3. Would not buy from CyberPower. They may be inexpensive, but I can't recall seeing a single person saying anything good about them. Source the parts and build it yourself if possible.
                                VHT | Reeves | Fender

Good transactions

Comment

Working...
                                X