What was the crappiest sounding amp you've owned?

TU BE

• Members

I was just thinking back to when I first started playing my parents bought me a lilttle Dean Markly practice amp. Even before I knew about tone, I knew that {censored}ing thing sounded horrible. Sounded like farting into a paper bag. icon_lol.gif

I later upgraded to a Crate GX60 tongue.gif

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Line 6 Spider Jam.
I didn't know much about anything when I owned it, and I barely ever played through an amp for the first 3 years I played because it sounded so bad. It took me awhile to figure out it was the amp's fault tho. I remember there was a recording feature on it, so I took a few recordings of myself and put them on my mp3 player. Almost broke down into tears. Literally. Funny thing was at the time, I thought it was my playing that sounded bad. Looking back, my playing was fine for a beginner guitrist, the amp just sounded like total {censored}.

Edit: The fact that I didn't know how to dial in a good tone at the time probably didn't help either, but still...

• Members

Line 6 Spider Jam.
I didn't know much about anything when I owned it, and I barely ever played through an amp for the first 3 years I played because it sounded so bad. It took me awhile to figure out it was the amp's fault tho. I remember there was a recording feature on it, so I took a few recordings of myself and put them on my mp3 player. Almost broke down into tears. Literally. Funny thing was at the time, I thought it was my playing that sounded bad. Looking back, my playing was fine for a beginner guitrist, the amp just sounded like total {censored}.

Edit: The fact that I didn't know how to dial in a good tone at the time probably didn't help either, but still...

• Members

I had a Dean Markely "stack" practice amp. It was a 1x10 combo with a 1x10 cab under it. It too sounded like utter dog{censored}.

However, with a DOD Thrash Master pumping up front it went from dog{censored} to {censored} YEAH! Seriously, dumbest, lamest sounding pedal I ever had into the lamest amp I had and it sounded like god. It's the one time in my entire life where I can honestly say two wrongs made a right. I've got friends that still ask me why I got rid of that rig because they remember how amazing it sounded.

• Members

I had a Dean Markely "stack" practice amp. It was a 1x10 combo with a 1x10 cab under it. It too sounded like utter dog{censored}.

However, with a DOD Thrash Master pumping up front it went from dog{censored} to {censored} YEAH! Seriously, dumbest, lamest sounding pedal I ever had into the lamest amp I had and it sounded like god. It's the one time in my entire life where I can honestly say two wrongs made a right. I've got friends that still ask me why I got rid of that rig because they remember how amazing it sounded.

• Members

1980 Marshall JMP 2203. In horrible shape when I got it. Had some 80's hairspray douchebag mods that had been done to it, and was in SEVERE need of a re-tube & re-cap. Razor thin. Noisy. Hissy. No balls. all treble. no low mids. Sounded like the love child of CC Deville & a Poulan Chainsaw. Reeked of cat piss too.

Removed the mods, changed some caps & resistors..new t00bs & proper bias & made it one of the best sounding amps Ive ever owned. Wish I still owned her.

• Members

1980 Marshall JMP 2203. In horrible shape when I got it. Had some 80's hairspray douchebag mods that had been done to it, and was in SEVERE need of a re-tube & re-cap. Razor thin. Noisy. Hissy. No balls. all treble. no low mids. Sounded like the love child of CC Deville & a Poulan Chainsaw. Reeked of cat piss too.

Removed the mods, changed some caps & resistors..new t00bs & proper bias & made it one of the best sounding amps Ive ever owned. Wish I still owned her.

Archived