Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the crappiest sounding amp you've owned?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the crappiest sounding amp you've owned?

I was just thinking back to when I first started playing my parents bought me a lilttle Dean Markly practice amp. Even before I knew about tone, I knew that ****************ing thing sounded horrible. Sounded like farting into a paper bag.

I later upgraded to a Crate GX60
    ORANGE CONGLOMERATE
    VTM VANDALS

Originally Posted by cobrahead1030

Gibsons are like that crazy ex gf, the one you'd wanna strangle on a daily basis...but was dynamite in bed.

She always calls up during a dry spell, and ya have to hit it one more time.

Originally Posted by Mr. Brady

This is the reason modelers don't sound good. They don't have a standby switch modelled so the virtual tubes never get a chance to warm up.

Some small Gorilla brand. In the 1980s.

Comment

Some small Gorilla brand. In the 1980s.

Comment

5 watt all-plastic SS Harmony amp
        Originally Posted by Rampage

**************** cleans, play distortion?

Originally Posted by RiffDaemon

The scratchy high-end sounds like a wreck in Excitebike

Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

I had a nightmare experience like yours, Nerine, when I was in my late 20's/early 30's and was doing the tag-team thing with my buddy over the toilet. Now that was something----

Guitars:
        Fender-Hamer-Michael Kelly-Starfield-Ibanez

Amps/Cabs
        Drive-Eminence-Electro Harmonix-Fender-Jet City-Kustom-VHT-Yamaha

FX
        ISP-Keeley-Pigtronix

Comment

5 watt all-plastic SS Harmony amp
          Originally Posted by Rampage

**************** cleans, play distortion?

Originally Posted by RiffDaemon

The scratchy high-end sounds like a wreck in Excitebike

Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

I had a nightmare experience like yours, Nerine, when I was in my late 20's/early 30's and was doing the tag-team thing with my buddy over the toilet. Now that was something----

Guitars:
          Fender-Hamer-Michael Kelly-Starfield-Ibanez

Amps/Cabs
          Drive-Eminence-Electro Harmonix-Fender-Jet City-Kustom-VHT-Yamaha

FX
          ISP-Keeley-Pigtronix

Comment

Line 6 Spider Jam.

I didn't know much about anything when I owned it, and I barely ever played through an amp for the first 3 years I played because it sounded so bad. It took me awhile to figure out it was the amp's fault tho. I remember there was a recording feature on it, so I took a few recordings of myself and put them on my mp3 player. Almost broke down into tears. Literally. Funny thing was at the time, I thought it was my playing that sounded bad. Looking back, my playing was fine for a beginner guitrist, the amp just sounded like total ****************.

Edit: The fact that I didn't know how to dial in a good tone at the time probably didn't help either, but still...
            If you think this forum sucks visit here:http://www.guitarampboard.com/index.php started by user guitarbilly74

Comment

Line 6 Spider Jam.

I didn't know much about anything when I owned it, and I barely ever played through an amp for the first 3 years I played because it sounded so bad. It took me awhile to figure out it was the amp's fault tho. I remember there was a recording feature on it, so I took a few recordings of myself and put them on my mp3 player. Almost broke down into tears. Literally. Funny thing was at the time, I thought it was my playing that sounded bad. Looking back, my playing was fine for a beginner guitrist, the amp just sounded like total ****************.

Edit: The fact that I didn't know how to dial in a good tone at the time probably didn't help either, but still...
              If you think this forum sucks visit here:http://www.guitarampboard.com/index.php started by user guitarbilly74

Comment

That I have owned? Hmmm, I generally buy sweet amps.

Comment

That I have owned? Hmmm, I generally buy sweet amps.

Comment

My first amp was a Holmes. I have not seen one in maybe 25 years. It was awful
                    My various guitar build • repair • maintenance threads

My Custom Guitar page

Some of my motion graphics ****************

My metal band, Sulaco
                    Download Sulaco, "Build and Burn" for free or pay in any format you want

My instrumental Prog band, BML

1981 Marshall 2203
                    Marshall DSL50

Comment

My first amp was a Holmes. I have not seen one in maybe 25 years. It was awful
                      My various guitar build • repair • maintenance threads

My Custom Guitar page

Some of my motion graphics ****************

My metal band, Sulaco
                      Download Sulaco, "Build and Burn" for free or pay in any format you want

My instrumental Prog band, BML

1981 Marshall 2203
                      Marshall DSL50

Comment

I had a Dean Markely "stack" practice amp. It was a 1x10 combo with a 1x10 cab under it. It too sounded like utter dog****************.

However, with a DOD Thrash Master pumping up front it went from dog**************** to **************** YEAH! Seriously, dumbest, lamest sounding pedal I ever had into the lamest amp I had and it sounded like god. It's the one time in my entire life where I can honestly say two wrongs made a right. I've got friends that still ask me why I got rid of that rig because they remember how amazing it sounded.
                        Originally Posted by Murdoch

HCAF Y U NO TALK MAPS

Three dicks in an ass, n00b.

Originally Posted by Dr.Picklebottom

wtf is next? lets talk about our favorite nsync album. i love them all because i was really making strides in my dress making business at the time...

Comment

I had a Dean Markely "stack" practice amp. It was a 1x10 combo with a 1x10 cab under it. It too sounded like utter dog****************.

However, with a DOD Thrash Master pumping up front it went from dog**************** to **************** YEAH! Seriously, dumbest, lamest sounding pedal I ever had into the lamest amp I had and it sounded like god. It's the one time in my entire life where I can honestly say two wrongs made a right. I've got friends that still ask me why I got rid of that rig because they remember how amazing it sounded.
                          Originally Posted by Murdoch

HCAF Y U NO TALK MAPS

Three dicks in an ass, n00b.

Originally Posted by Dr.Picklebottom

wtf is next? lets talk about our favorite nsync album. i love them all because i was really making strides in my dress making business at the time...

Comment

Oh wait, the Laney Cub. It sounded ok by itself but sucked hard in a band.

Comment

Oh wait, the Laney Cub. It sounded ok by itself but sucked hard in a band.

Comment

Working...
                              X