Speaker mix. I have V30's, G12T-75's, and ET65's...

eyeball987

• Members

I am mainly a rock type of player using Marshall'ish tones. Think Tesla, Ratt, Dokken, Maiden, with a good bit of AIC / Cantrell etc...

I have a Marshall 1960A with 75's that sounds good but, I like my other cab with Scumback M75's much better.

I mixed some ET65's in there and liked it a little bit better. Now I have a pair of V30's coming in tonight.

What would you load up into that cab? V30's and 75's seem to have a following. What about V30's and the 65's? Too bright maybe?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Hunter

View Post

Even though the 75/30 is a nice combination, ET65's sound better to me.

65's mix great with other speakers, but on their own sound killer. Nice & creamy, but with plenty ok kick & a super smooth top.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Hunter View Post
Even though the 75/30 is a nice combination, ET65's sound better to me.
Great. Decision time.

I just hate having to tear the cab apart over and over again. I really like ET65's but have heard good things about the V30 / 75 mix and pretty much nothing about V30's and 65's mixed.

• Members

I just recently did an X-Pattern on my 1960B cab with 2 75s and 2 Hellatone 30s, which are Avatar's rebranded Celestion G12H30 speakers that have been broken in for 15 hours. Sounds amazing. I personally prefer the G12H30 over the V30 as the G12H30 isn't as shrill on the high end/upper mids.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by eyeball987 View Post
Great. Decision time.

I just hate having to tear the cab apart over and over again. I really like ET65's but have heard good things about the V30 / 75 mix and pretty much nothing about V30's and 65's mixed.
FWIW, I have two identical Emperor 4x12's. One has ET65's, and the other has Retro 30's+G12T75's in an X pattern.

The ET65 cab sounds better. It's smoother, louder, and more focused. It's totally in your face without being harsh at all, and if I had the time to trade the retro30's/G12T75's for another quad of ET65's, I would.

P1010050.jpg

• Members

I've heard good things about the V30/ET65 mix from many on here.

I've done the V30/T75 mix and its alright. Good from brutal type stuff but can be hard to dial in (as is the case in general with speaker mixing).
My biggest issue with this is the differences in efficiency. The V30s are significantly louder than the T75s.

All that said as cool as speaker mixing can be I think its a bad call in general. Sound guys at gigs are only going to mic one speaker and the sound coming from that one speaker is going to be different than the sound coming from the front of your cab, therefore you'll probably end up dialing in and getting a different tone than what the audience ends up hearing.

I'd just go with 4 matched speakers if it were me, the amp you're playing would determine which speakers those should be.

• Members

My gigging out days are pretty much done. I am only dealing with in the room sound anyway. I would like to run the 2X12 and 4X12 together but one is 8 ohm and the other 16 ohm. I don't want to fool around with re-wiring them for a match so one at a time it is.

I don't like V30's on their own but want a touch of their flavor so a mix will work for me. The Scumbacks in my 2X12 are by far my favorite with the 65's not too far behind so having the mixed 4X12 will give me another taste to choose from on a day to day basis.

Thanks for the input! V30's and ET65's it shall be.

Loaded. The ROCK will happen tonight.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by eyeball987 View Post
I am mainly a rock type of player using Marshall'ish tones. Think Tesla, Ratt, Dokken, Maiden, with a good bit of AIC / Cantrell etc...

I have a Marshall 1960A with 75's that sounds good but, I like my other cab with Scumback M75's much better.

I mixed some ET65's in there and liked it a little bit better. Now I have a pair of V30's coming in tonight.

What would you load up into that cab? V30's and 75's seem to have a following. What about V30's and the 65's? Too bright maybe?

That's what i have in my cab V30/ET65 and love it! Sounds awesome! Not bright...a great balance!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bass_n_drums

View Post

That's what i have in my cab V30/ET65 and love it! Sounds awesome! Not bright...a great balance!

Great! That is good to know because I really don't want to have to take all of those screws out of the cab again. I will report back after I push some air through them tonight.

Archived