Mark IV buzzing/rattling

beno

• Members

Hey all,

I've had my amp for years now, had the tubes in place for maybe 2 or so years. When I turned in on today and started playing, I noticed a strange buzz/rattle coming through when I strummed the strings loudly. It was most prominent in the clean channel, but also audible through both the Rhythm 2 and Lead channels. After a while it seemed to go away, but it was pretty annoying while it persisted.

What would cause this? Is this the symptom of a power tube needing replacement?

Any help/advice appreciated!

Thanks!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by les_paul View Post
Do you rock EL-34s in the outer sockets?

EDIT: Also, what brand of tubes are you using?
Nope, I'm rocking 6L6 all 4 sockets and they're JJ's. Does it sound like a tube issue though, or possibly something else?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by les_paul View Post
Do you rock EL-34s in the outer sockets?

EDIT: Also, what brand of tubes are you using?
Nope, I'm rocking 6L6 all 4 sockets and they're JJ's. Does it sound like a tube issue though, or possibly something else?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vila View Post
Sounds like a microphonic pre-amp tube. Use the eraser end of a pencil and tap each tube starting with V1 when the amp is on. If the tube is microphonic you will hear it come through. good luck. thumb.gif
Ok great! Thanks!

Just to clarify, by come through you mean the affected tube will be more audible through the speaker when tapped when compared to the other tubes?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vila View Post
Sounds like a microphonic pre-amp tube. Use the eraser end of a pencil and tap each tube starting with V1 when the amp is on. If the tube is microphonic you will hear it come through. good luck. thumb.gif
Ok great! Thanks!

Just to clarify, by come through you mean the affected tube will be more audible through the speaker when tapped when compared to the other tubes?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by beno View Post
Ok great! Thanks!

yes. you will hear a rattle sound come through your cab if you have a microphonic preamp tube and it is tapped. good luck! thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by beno View Post
Ok great! Thanks!

yes. you will hear a rattle sound come through your cab if you have a microphonic preamp tube and it is tapped. good luck! thumb.gif

• Members

Ok so I tried the tapping thing, and indeed one of the tubes was coming through more prominently than the others when I tapped them, but when I switched the tube for another one it seemed just as prominent. Even tried yet another one and still same thing. It seemed to fix the buzz/rattle, but maybe that one particular slot is supposed to come in through more? I had to do this on the Lead channel b/c on all other channels I could barely make anything out when I tapped the tubes...

• Members

Ok so I tried the tapping thing, and indeed one of the tubes was coming through more prominently than the others when I tapped them, but when I switched the tube for another one it seemed just as prominent. Even tried yet another one and still same thing. It seemed to fix the buzz/rattle, but maybe that one particular slot is supposed to come in through more? I had to do this on the Lead channel b/c on all other channels I could barely make anything out when I tapped the tubes...

• Members

I don't know where this myth came from that preamp tubes shouldn't make sound when tapped on. That is not true at all. Preamp tubes (and specially V1) will ALWAYS make sound if tapped on. V1 will be louder than the rest (because it's hitting more stages of amplification). Hit it with a pencil and you will hear a loud "thunk". What you don't want is one that rings out with a high pitched bell-like sound (along with the normal thunk) when tapped on. THAT is the sound of a microphonic tube.

• Members

I don't know where this myth came from that preamp tubes shouldn't make sound when tapped on. That is not true at all. Preamp tubes (and specially V1) will ALWAYS make sound if tapped on. V1 will be louder than the rest (because it's hitting more stages of amplification). Hit it with a pencil and you will hear a loud "thunk". What you don't want is one that rings out with a high pitched bell-like sound (along with the normal thunk) when tapped on. THAT is the sound of a microphonic tube.

• Members

Definitely check V1. Try replacing the tube to see if the sound goes away.

Check the speaker leads and make sure all the connections are solid.

I'm almost certain this a tube issue, but while you're at it, you may want to make sure the reverb tank is plugged in correctly, and the springs aren't damaged.

• Members

I'm almost certain this a tube issue, but while you're at it, you may want to make sure the reverb tank is plugged in correctly, and the springs aren't damaged.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fretout View Post

Well all tubes made a thump sound, V1 most prominently, as OverDriven said, but still no high pitched sound. Changed it anyway.

Speaker leads seem fine.

Reverb tank not sure, but I keep my reverb at 0 anyway.

After changing V1 and power tubes the rattle/buzz went away.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fretout View Post

Well all tubes made a thump sound, V1 most prominently, as OverDriven said, but still no high pitched sound. Changed it anyway.

Speaker leads seem fine.

Reverb tank not sure, but I keep my reverb at 0 anyway.

After changing V1 and power tubes the rattle/buzz went away.

Archived