Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cover band dudes: do you have the same level of ambition you do with original bands?

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originality is what it is. So you are more prone to be concerned with accuracy etc. Originality is what sets you apart from others music or guys in cover bands. Otoh your style of play is easier to accommodate as players and vocally. Cover bands (better ones) have to accommodate so much more in genre, playing and vocal ability. Cover bands have longer nights with many sets. Original bands generally share a bill and pick an hour's worth (1 set) of material to play.



    Cover bands is just a party band most of the time. All patrons except one or two musicians in the back of the room with their arms folded will give two ****************s about how you "accurately" cover a song or accurately play a solo..



    I never cared (more laid back approach) most of the time in any of my cover bands. The more you were as entertainers and players is what mattered most. Sounding like the cd or original material you are covering doesn't. I hate bands like that. Most bands like that have no "entertainment value" unless they are a tribute band.



    Are you a Dream Theater cover band or Progressive original band? If so, yes it will matter more. Your audience will expect accuracy since the style is known for it.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originality is what it is. So you are more prone to be concerned with accuracy etc. Originality is what sets you apart from others music or guys in cover bands. Otoh your style of play is easier to accommodate as players and vocally. Cover bands (better ones) have to accommodate so much more in genre, playing and vocal ability. Cover bands have longer nights with many sets. Original bands generally share a bill and pick an hour's worth (1 set) of material to play.



      Cover bands is just a party band most of the time. All patrons except one or two musicians in the back of the room with their arms folded will give two ****************s about how you "accurately" cover a song or accurately play a solo..



      I never cared (more laid back approach) most of the time in any of my cover bands. The more you were as entertainers and players is what mattered most. Sounding like the cd or original material you are covering doesn't. I hate bands like that. Most bands like that have no "entertainment value" unless they are a tribute band.



      Are you a Dream Theater cover band or Progressive original band? If so, yes it will matter more. Your audience will expect accuracy since the style is known for it.

      Comment


      • #18






        Quote Originally Posted by CaViTaTioN
        View Post

        Moreso just the desire to practice more often, switch up the setlist, run songs together; basic level above first-time cover band stuff. Players are all great and great guys to boot, just always looking for ways to better ourselves I guess.




        That's not perfectionism, that's a must if you wanna get paid and get people to watch you.
        Good Transactions with: Hank Lady, JonathanD, thinkpad20, leod_74, GodBlessTexas, JerryP, ed_sped2, Sixtonoize, TheChopsyWanker, Silvertongue







        Originally Posted by Hank Hill


        Don't you realize you're not making Christianity any better, you're just making Rock and Roll worse.











        Originally Posted by jnurp


        My ex confided to me when we were madly in love that her ex before me was literally hung like a pringles can. That was one of the worst moments of my life.

        Comment


        • #19






          Quote Originally Posted by CaViTaTioN
          View Post

          Moreso just the desire to practice more often, switch up the setlist, run songs together; basic level above first-time cover band stuff. Players are all great and great guys to boot, just always looking for ways to better ourselves I guess.




          That's not perfectionism, that's a must if you wanna get paid and get people to watch you.
          Good Transactions with: Hank Lady, JonathanD, thinkpad20, leod_74, GodBlessTexas, JerryP, ed_sped2, Sixtonoize, TheChopsyWanker, Silvertongue







          Originally Posted by Hank Hill


          Don't you realize you're not making Christianity any better, you're just making Rock and Roll worse.











          Originally Posted by jnurp


          My ex confided to me when we were madly in love that her ex before me was literally hung like a pringles can. That was one of the worst moments of my life.

          Comment


          • #20
            i would differentiate between "perfectionism" and "ambition". you can have ambition to be a perfectionist, and your perfectionism can aid in any professional ambitions you have as a cover band.



            but i would think that the ambitions are different for a cover band vs an all original band. namely constant paid booking and consistent turnout, a local business really, for cover band, and as logarithmically a rise in universal popularity as possible, or at least some really cool recordings/live sets you are truly happy with for an orginal band.
            great deals with Urinate Forever and stratedge09






            Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis


            Ya'll n****s is gay



            Cheers, Lucius.




            the.Orange.congolomorate Thunderverb 50 sucka!
            SG ARMY

            Comment


            • #21
              i would differentiate between "perfectionism" and "ambition". you can have ambition to be a perfectionist, and your perfectionism can aid in any professional ambitions you have as a cover band.



              but i would think that the ambitions are different for a cover band vs an all original band. namely constant paid booking and consistent turnout, a local business really, for cover band, and as logarithmically a rise in universal popularity as possible, or at least some really cool recordings/live sets you are truly happy with for an orginal band.
              great deals with Urinate Forever and stratedge09






              Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis


              Ya'll n****s is gay



              Cheers, Lucius.




              the.Orange.congolomorate Thunderverb 50 sucka!
              SG ARMY

              Comment


              • #22
                Weigh the benefits of perfection against the incoming gig money.







                I generally take the effort to learn the song for the most part but don't care about getting it perfect. That was in the 3 figure pay per gig situation. I guess if it was my full time job and I was making a lot more then I'd re-evaluate.



                I have no moral or personal desire to perfect cover songs.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Weigh the benefits of perfection against the incoming gig money.







                  I generally take the effort to learn the song for the most part but don't care about getting it perfect. That was in the 3 figure pay per gig situation. I guess if it was my full time job and I was making a lot more then I'd re-evaluate.



                  I have no moral or personal desire to perfect cover songs.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    but we NEED perfect renditions of rollercoaster of love. NEED them, or the party cannot and will not continue.
                    great deals with Urinate Forever and stratedge09






                    Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis


                    Ya'll n****s is gay



                    Cheers, Lucius.




                    the.Orange.congolomorate Thunderverb 50 sucka!
                    SG ARMY

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      but we NEED perfect renditions of rollercoaster of love. NEED them, or the party cannot and will not continue.
                      great deals with Urinate Forever and stratedge09






                      Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis


                      Ya'll n****s is gay



                      Cheers, Lucius.




                      the.Orange.congolomorate Thunderverb 50 sucka!
                      SG ARMY

                      Comment


                      • #26






                        Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D
                        View Post

                        but we NEED perfect renditions of rollercoaster of love. NEED them, or the party cannot and will not continue.




                        It's on the list

                        Comment


                        • #27






                          Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D
                          View Post

                          but we NEED perfect renditions of rollercoaster of love. NEED them, or the party cannot and will not continue.




                          It's on the list

                          Comment


                          • #28






                            Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1
                            View Post

                            Originality is what it is. So you are more prone to be concerned with accuracy etc. Originality is what sets you apart from others music or guys in cover bands. Otoh your style of play is easier to accommodate as players and vocally. Cover bands (better ones) have to accommodate so much more in genre, playing and vocal ability. Cover bands have longer nights with many sets. Original bands generally share a bill and pick an hour's worth (1 set) of material to play.



                            Cover bands is just a party band most of the time. All patrons except one or two musicians in the back of the room with their arms folded will give two ****************s about how you "accurately" cover a song or accurately play a solo..



                            I never cared (more laid back approach) most of the time in any of my cover bands. The more you were as entertainers and players is what mattered most. Sounding like the cd or original material you are covering doesn't. I hate bands like that. Most bands like that have no "entertainment value" unless they are a tribute band.



                            Are you a Dream Theater cover band or Progressive original band? If so, yes it will matter more. Your audience will expect accuracy since the style is known for it.




                            I read this and about spit my drink all over my monitor. We do disco funk and retro stuff, so about as far removed from DReam Theater as you can get lol!

                            Comment


                            • #29






                              Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1
                              View Post

                              Originality is what it is. So you are more prone to be concerned with accuracy etc. Originality is what sets you apart from others music or guys in cover bands. Otoh your style of play is easier to accommodate as players and vocally. Cover bands (better ones) have to accommodate so much more in genre, playing and vocal ability. Cover bands have longer nights with many sets. Original bands generally share a bill and pick an hour's worth (1 set) of material to play.



                              Cover bands is just a party band most of the time. All patrons except one or two musicians in the back of the room with their arms folded will give two ****************s about how you "accurately" cover a song or accurately play a solo..



                              I never cared (more laid back approach) most of the time in any of my cover bands. The more you were as entertainers and players is what mattered most. Sounding like the cd or original material you are covering doesn't. I hate bands like that. Most bands like that have no "entertainment value" unless they are a tribute band.



                              Are you a Dream Theater cover band or Progressive original band? If so, yes it will matter more. Your audience will expect accuracy since the style is known for it.




                              I read this and about spit my drink all over my monitor. We do disco funk and retro stuff, so about as far removed from DReam Theater as you can get lol!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I think you have to pick and choose your battles. Theres nothing wrong with making sure songs sound right, especially when doing covers. Like SexPanther said, if your drummer does his fills differently than AVH in your cover of "Jaimes Crying" I don't think people will care as much as your singer injecting a 5 minute acapella interlude in the middle of a Bon Jovi tune....
                                Facebook SoundCloudGood Deals with; STEELKAGE, LenDuffy, Yo_Squig, theemarkmiller and others I've forgottenSPAMDimarzio Paf Pro red- 30$ Shipped(one thread is worn)Ampeg VH140C

                                Comment









                                Working...
                                X