Cover band dudes: do you have the same level of ambition you do with original bands?

CaViTaTioN

• Members

Is it wrong to be as much of a perfectionist in a cover band situation as you are in an original band? In most original bands I have been, ocd attention to detail combined with the generally shallow pool of players has killed every band at one point or another. I am in a cover band now that is doing really good. Problem is I like to overanalyze things (understatement lol). I don't want to overthink this band, but my inner-competition with myself is leading me down the path again. Is ambition and perfectionism in a cover band context wrong?

• Members

That is a good outlook to have Billy. It's not necessarily that i take myself seriously, but moreso i just start analyzing every aspect wanting to better it. So far, I have done pretty good by my standards. Things just make me twitch from time to time lol

• Members

That is a good outlook to have Billy. It's not necessarily that i take myself seriously, but moreso i just start analyzing every aspect wanting to better it. So far, I have done pretty good by my standards. Things just make me twitch from time to time lol

• Members

Perfectionism in a cover band as fine as long as you're not annoying with it. Harping on the bass player because his fill in *insert generic song that nobody knows the bassline to here* is one note different from the original, is a recipe for disaster, and will not end well.

• Members

Perfectionism in a cover band as fine as long as you're not annoying with it. Harping on the bass player because his fill in *insert generic song that nobody knows the bassline to here* is one note different from the original, is a recipe for disaster, and will not end well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sex Panther

View Post

It's not to that level, moreso just trying to keep things as professional as possible without being a dickface about it smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sex Panther

View Post

It's not to that level, moreso just trying to keep things as professional as possible without being a dickface about it smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by CaViTaTioN

View Post

Be specific, what sort of things do you do that would make someone think you are a dickface?

• Members

View Post

Be specific, what sort of things do you do that would make someone think you are a dickface?

• Members

Originality is what it is. So you are more prone to be concerned with accuracy etc. Originality is what sets you apart from others music or guys in cover bands. Otoh your style of play is easier to accommodate as players and vocally. Cover bands (better ones) have to accommodate so much more in genre, playing and vocal ability. Cover bands have longer nights with many sets. Original bands generally share a bill and pick an hour's worth (1 set) of material to play.

Cover bands is just a party band most of the time. All patrons except one or two musicians in the back of the room with their arms folded will give two {censored}s about how you "accurately" cover a song or accurately play a solo..

I never cared (more laid back approach) most of the time in any of my cover bands. The more you were as entertainers and players is what mattered most. Sounding like the cd or original material you are covering doesn't. I hate bands like that. Most bands like that have no "entertainment value" unless they are a tribute band.

Are you a Dream Theater cover band or Progressive original band? If so, yes it will matter more. Your audience will expect accuracy since the style is known for it.

• Members

Originality is what it is. So you are more prone to be concerned with accuracy etc. Originality is what sets you apart from others music or guys in cover bands. Otoh your style of play is easier to accommodate as players and vocally. Cover bands (better ones) have to accommodate so much more in genre, playing and vocal ability. Cover bands have longer nights with many sets. Original bands generally share a bill and pick an hour's worth (1 set) of material to play.

Cover bands is just a party band most of the time. All patrons except one or two musicians in the back of the room with their arms folded will give two {censored}s about how you "accurately" cover a song or accurately play a solo..

I never cared (more laid back approach) most of the time in any of my cover bands. The more you were as entertainers and players is what mattered most. Sounding like the cd or original material you are covering doesn't. I hate bands like that. Most bands like that have no "entertainment value" unless they are a tribute band.

Are you a Dream Theater cover band or Progressive original band? If so, yes it will matter more. Your audience will expect accuracy since the style is known for it.

• Members

View Post

Moreso just the desire to practice more often, switch up the setlist, run songs together; basic level above first-time cover band stuff. Players are all great and great guys to boot, just always looking for ways to better ourselves I guess.

That's not perfectionism, that's a must if you wanna get paid and get people to watch you.

• Members

View Post

Moreso just the desire to practice more often, switch up the setlist, run songs together; basic level above first-time cover band stuff. Players are all great and great guys to boot, just always looking for ways to better ourselves I guess.

That's not perfectionism, that's a must if you wanna get paid and get people to watch you.

• Members

i would differentiate between "perfectionism" and "ambition". you can have ambition to be a perfectionist, and your perfectionism can aid in any professional ambitions you have as a cover band.

but i would think that the ambitions are different for a cover band vs an all original band. namely constant paid booking and consistent turnout, a local business really, for cover band, and as logarithmically a rise in universal popularity as possible, or at least some really cool recordings/live sets you are truly happy with for an orginal band.

• Members

i would differentiate between "perfectionism" and "ambition". you can have ambition to be a perfectionist, and your perfectionism can aid in any professional ambitions you have as a cover band.

but i would think that the ambitions are different for a cover band vs an all original band. namely constant paid booking and consistent turnout, a local business really, for cover band, and as logarithmically a rise in universal popularity as possible, or at least some really cool recordings/live sets you are truly happy with for an orginal band.

• Members

Weigh the benefits of perfection against the incoming gig money.

I generally take the effort to learn the song for the most part but don't care about getting it perfect. That was in the 3 figure pay per gig situation. I guess if it was my full time job and I was making a lot more then I'd re-evaluate.

I have no moral or personal desire to perfect cover songs.

• Members

Weigh the benefits of perfection against the incoming gig money.

I generally take the effort to learn the song for the most part but don't care about getting it perfect. That was in the 3 figure pay per gig situation. I guess if it was my full time job and I was making a lot more then I'd re-evaluate.

I have no moral or personal desire to perfect cover songs.

Archived