Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cover band dudes: do you have the same level of ambition you do with original bands?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cover band dudes: do you have the same level of ambition you do with original bands?

Is it wrong to be as much of a perfectionist in a cover band situation as you are in an original band? In most original bands I have been, ocd attention to detail combined with the generally shallow pool of players has killed every band at one point or another. I am in a cover band now that is doing really good. Problem is I like to overanalyze things (understatement lol). I don't want to overthink this band, but my inner-competition with myself is leading me down the path again. Is ambition and perfectionism in a cover band context wrong?

I wouldn't know. I am not a perfectionist with anything anymore. Been there, done that but at this point I just want to have fun and not worry about this type of thing. I guess it all depends on where you are as a musician. I stopped taking myself seriously around '98
    http://www.guitarampboard.comLike my band on FB: http://www.facebook.com/thefew1All prices include shipping to ConUS.

Comment

I wouldn't know. I am not a perfectionist with anything anymore. Been there, done that but at this point I just want to have fun and not worry about this type of thing. I guess it all depends on where you are as a musician. I stopped taking myself seriously around '98
      http://www.guitarampboard.comLike my band on FB: http://www.facebook.com/thefew1All prices include shipping to ConUS.

Comment

That is a good outlook to have Billy. It's not necessarily that i take myself seriously, but moreso i just start analyzing every aspect wanting to better it. So far, I have done pretty good by my standards. Things just make me twitch from time to time lol

Comment

That is a good outlook to have Billy. It's not necessarily that i take myself seriously, but moreso i just start analyzing every aspect wanting to better it. So far, I have done pretty good by my standards. Things just make me twitch from time to time lol

Comment

I can't see how perfectionism would ever be bad

I like to see cover bands that can pull off a truly accurate cover. It's rare.
            Main Rig:
            LTD EC1000
            Peavey 6505+
            Mesa/Boogie Recto 2x12 with V30's
            TC Nova System

FOR SALE:
            Spools of Canare GS-6 - The most transparent cable I've come across. Click for details.
            M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card

Good transactions with Digital Jams, Dimebag11, Greazygeo, ENdtime, Fagmotron 3000, thenakedarab, TheAmazingBlob, ZOMBIELAND, mike59271, LoopQuantum.

Comment

I can't see how perfectionism would ever be bad

I like to see cover bands that can pull off a truly accurate cover. It's rare.
              Main Rig:
              LTD EC1000
              Peavey 6505+
              Mesa/Boogie Recto 2x12 with V30's
              TC Nova System

FOR SALE:
              Spools of Canare GS-6 - The most transparent cable I've come across. Click for details.
              M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card

Good transactions with Digital Jams, Dimebag11, Greazygeo, ENdtime, Fagmotron 3000, thenakedarab, TheAmazingBlob, ZOMBIELAND, mike59271, LoopQuantum.

Comment

Perfectionism in a cover band as fine as long as you're not annoying with it. Harping on the bass player because his fill in *insert generic song that nobody knows the bassline to here* is one note different from the original, is a recipe for disaster, and will not end well.
                Good Transactions with: Hank Lady, JonathanD, thinkpad20, leod_74, GodBlessTexas, JerryP, ed_sped2, Sixtonoize, TheChopsyWanker, Silvertongue

Originally Posted by Hank Hill

Don't you realize you're not making Christianity any better, you're just making Rock and Roll worse.

Originally Posted by jnurp

My ex confided to me when we were madly in love that her ex before me was literally hung like a pringles can. That was one of the worst moments of my life.

Comment

Perfectionism in a cover band as fine as long as you're not annoying with it. Harping on the bass player because his fill in *insert generic song that nobody knows the bassline to here* is one note different from the original, is a recipe for disaster, and will not end well.
                  Good Transactions with: Hank Lady, JonathanD, thinkpad20, leod_74, GodBlessTexas, JerryP, ed_sped2, Sixtonoize, TheChopsyWanker, Silvertongue

Originally Posted by Hank Hill

Don't you realize you're not making Christianity any better, you're just making Rock and Roll worse.

Originally Posted by jnurp

My ex confided to me when we were madly in love that her ex before me was literally hung like a pringles can. That was one of the worst moments of my life.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Sex Panther
                    View Post

It's not to that level, moreso just trying to keep things as professional as possible without being a dickface about it

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Sex Panther
                      View Post

It's not to that level, moreso just trying to keep things as professional as possible without being a dickface about it

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by CaViTaTioN
                        View Post

Be specific, what sort of things do you do that would make someone think you are a dickface?
                        Diddlybo
                        -----------------------------------------------
                        Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
                        My current amp selection:
                        Carr Slant6V, Allen Accomplice, Rivera R-30 Thirty-twelve, Fender ChampII, Tech21 Trademark 10

Good HCAF transactions with hal9000, guitup, Anibas and ARS.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by CaViTaTioN
                          View Post

Be specific, what sort of things do you do that would make someone think you are a dickface?
                          Diddlybo
                          -----------------------------------------------
                          Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
                          My current amp selection:
                          Carr Slant6V, Allen Accomplice, Rivera R-30 Thirty-twelve, Fender ChampII, Tech21 Trademark 10

Good HCAF transactions with hal9000, guitup, Anibas and ARS.

Comment

Moreso just the desire to practice more often, switch up the setlist, run songs together; basic level above first-time cover band stuff. Players are all great and great guys to boot, just always looking for ways to better ourselves I guess.

Comment

Moreso just the desire to practice more often, switch up the setlist, run songs together; basic level above first-time cover band stuff. Players are all great and great guys to boot, just always looking for ways to better ourselves I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X