new emg solderless....damn you damn you to h3LL

magh8

• Members

so my guitar player decided to go back to EMG and I told him I would hook it up for him...
everything went smooth then it happened..the pickup wire for the bridge was too short and the middle barely made it....EMG need to use longer wiring with the solderless systems apparently...gonna call them monday and see if they can send me a couple neck position wire connectors...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by madrigal77

View Post

icon_lol.gif I actually like the solderless system. I'm a ret@rd and try as I may, can't solder. I found the solderless system to be a breeze. It wish it was standard in all pickups.

You know, why hasn't this become a standard practice? Is there something inherently better about having to solder each wire separately? De-noobify me plox!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by madrigal77

View Post

icon_lol.gif I actually like the solderless system. I'm a ret@rd and try as I may, can't solder. I found the solderless system to be a breeze. It wish it was standard in all pickups.

You know, why hasn't this become a standard practice? Is there something inherently better about having to solder each wire separately? De-noobify me plox!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by chad_sux View Post
my problem with it is...if I need a new pot or extra wire length for a regular pickup.. I go to the local electronics store and pick stuff up... if I need a new pot or extra wiring for an EMG solderless system, I have to contact them, pay whatever they want to charge me for it and wait for it to get here etc...

I just like the convenience of being able to work with parts that are readily available locally (or anywhere for that matter).

• Members
my problem with it is...if I need a new pot or extra wire length for a regular pickup.. I go to the local electronics store and pick stuff up... if I need a new pot or extra wiring for an EMG solderless system, I have to contact them, pay whatever they want to charge me for it and wait for it to get here etc...

I just like the convenience of being able to work with parts that are readily available locally (or anywhere for that matter).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post

Fair point. But if this becomes a standard practice, then those parts will be readily available anyway as they would replace the current standard. As I understand it, the solderless system is a series of wires, pots and pickups that are connected like you would the wire harness in your car and each individual part is removable and replaceable without having to remove the rest of the parts that you aren't replacing.

Basically, as the new standard becomes the solderless system, your problem of not being able to find parts quickly becomes a non-issue. Or am I missing something? I mean, it's less likely that you'll be able to go to Radio Shack and pick up these items, but all of the music/guitar shops would have them...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post

Fair point. But if this becomes a standard practice, then those parts will be readily available anyway as they would replace the current standard. As I understand it, the solderless system is a series of wires, pots and pickups that are connected like you would the wire harness in your car and each individual part is removable and replaceable without having to remove the rest of the parts that you aren't replacing.

Basically, as the new standard becomes the solderless system, your problem of not being able to find parts quickly becomes a non-issue. Or am I missing something? I mean, it's less likely that you'll be able to go to Radio Shack and pick up these items, but all of the music/guitar shops would have them...

• Members

THIS!! If they were standard, all music shops worth a damn would carry them in various lengths, and you could just go down there and grab it just like any other part.

• Members

THIS!! If they were standard, all music shops worth a damn would carry them in various lengths, and you could just go down there and grab it just like any other part.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by chad_sux

View Post

Is there something inherently better about having to solder each wire separately? De-noobify me plox!!

First thing that comes to mind is that a soldered connection won't get oxidized over time, a quick connect type will and will eventually fail.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by chad_sux

View Post

Is there something inherently better about having to solder each wire separately? De-noobify me plox!!

First thing that comes to mind is that a soldered connection won't get oxidized over time, a quick connect type will and will eventually fail.

• Members

I don't hate solderless, but it sure leads to messy as {censored} wiring. And unless your guitar has the EMG style jack and not a barrel like most Ibanez guitars, you have to solder anyway.

ibanez02.jpg

Soldered connections in this axe would have been 20x neater IMO!

• Members

I don't hate solderless, but it sure leads to messy as {censored} wiring. And unless your guitar has the EMG style jack and not a barrel like most Ibanez guitars, you have to solder anyway.

ibanez02.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by satannica View Post

ibanez02.jpg

Jesus, Where does the battery go?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by satannica View Post

ibanez02.jpg

Jesus, Where does the battery go?

Archived