Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The challenge to overcome is trying to find a good system which is as universal as possible to allow fancy wiring combinations if you want them, but also be straightforward if you want some more run of the mill stuff. This is where just soldering straight connections makes things nice and easy, but some people appear to be solderphobic. However, trying to get versatile solutions but maintaining sensible wire lengths and good low-resistance connections is another problem.

The EMG solution is adequate, IMO, you can do everything you can do with a soldered setup, but if you have a small-ish cavity then you'll have problems. My mate tried in vain to fit one into an old BC Rich Ironbird with a long thin cavity. In the end, I soldered it for him; the solderless kit was just too big to cram everything in.
    Zazas Zazas Nasatanada Zazas

Good transactions:
    StevePage (b)
    Deadeye Dom (s)
    Maiden_Fan (s)
    metareal (s)
    YourGuitarHero (b)
    Ratae Coritanorum (b)
    ¤ Matt ¤ (s)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by satannica
      View Post

I don't hate solderless, but it sure leads to messy as **************** wiring. And unless your guitar has the EMG style jack and not a barrel like most Ibanez guitars, you have to solder anyway.

Soldered connections in this axe would have been 20x neater IMO!

I had EMG's installed in a guitar recently and they used the solderless wiring. It looks just like the cluster**************** that you show in the picture.

Also, and this could totally be my imagination, but the output seems lower than my other EMG equipped guitars that were installed via the old fashion method. Anyone else experience this?
      Amps:Framus Dragon, 5150, Mesa Mark IV, Mesa Triple Recto, FJA XXX, FJA PV RM -->Mesa 50/50, PV Ultra 120, FJA PV Penta, FJA DoubleCross, FJA Windsor, GK MLE Head, GK 2100SEL, Marshall 9100

Cabs:3 Marshall 1960B, 2 Avatar 2x15, 2 Laney 4x12's, Mesa Recto 4x12 & 1x12, various 2x12's

Good Trades With: Exocaster, ams2ek, Chrisman926, Digital Jams, thesplawnster, Soulcrusher_X, meadows.83, Vinhoff, John Busbee, rebornself27, MadCow, mincy, Guitarted, The Riffer, Keebz, guitarbilly74

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by satannica
        View Post

I don't hate solderless, but it sure leads to messy as **************** wiring. And unless your guitar has the EMG style jack and not a barrel like most Ibanez guitars, you have to solder anyway.

Soldered connections in this axe would have been 20x neater IMO!

I had EMG's installed in a guitar recently and they used the solderless wiring. It looks just like the cluster**************** that you show in the picture.

Also, and this could totally be my imagination, but the output seems lower than my other EMG equipped guitars that were installed via the old fashion method. Anyone else experience this?
        Amps:Framus Dragon, 5150, Mesa Mark IV, Mesa Triple Recto, FJA XXX, FJA PV RM -->Mesa 50/50, PV Ultra 120, FJA PV Penta, FJA DoubleCross, FJA Windsor, GK MLE Head, GK 2100SEL, Marshall 9100

Cabs:3 Marshall 1960B, 2 Avatar 2x15, 2 Laney 4x12's, Mesa Recto 4x12 & 1x12, various 2x12's

Good Trades With: Exocaster, ams2ek, Chrisman926, Digital Jams, thesplawnster, Soulcrusher_X, meadows.83, Vinhoff, John Busbee, rebornself27, MadCow, mincy, Guitarted, The Riffer, Keebz, guitarbilly74

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHed
          View Post

I'm glad someone mentioned this!

I ran my volt meter on the new solderless vs. the old school EMG's and I noticed that the ohms were WAAAAAY different. I prefer the old soldered pots because they were louder!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHed
            View Post

I'm glad someone mentioned this!

I ran my volt meter on the new solderless vs. the old school EMG's and I noticed that the ohms were WAAAAAY different. I prefer the old soldered pots because they were louder!

Comment

Yeah, it does make a rats nest in there, but you're not going to be seeing it, so who cares? As far as tone, I ripped mine out of a guitar where they were hard wired and used the solderless to install them in the new one, and I didn't notice any difference in volume, ect..
              Originally Posted by James Hetfield

I AM THE TABLE!!

Guitars:
              LTD EC256:EMG's, Tonepros, Grovers
              Agile PS900 Blue Flame
              Ibanez Acoustic: V300CW
              Amps:
              EVH 5150 III 100w
              EVH 5150 III 4x12
              Effects:
              POD HD300
              MXR 10 Band EQ

Good Transactions: cadfael, kev324, sahlomonic, Lucius

Comment

Yeah, it does make a rats nest in there, but you're not going to be seeing it, so who cares? As far as tone, I ripped mine out of a guitar where they were hard wired and used the solderless to install them in the new one, and I didn't notice any difference in volume, ect..
                Originally Posted by James Hetfield

I AM THE TABLE!!

Guitars:
                LTD EC256:EMG's, Tonepros, Grovers
                Agile PS900 Blue Flame
                Ibanez Acoustic: V300CW
                Amps:
                EVH 5150 III 100w
                EVH 5150 III 4x12
                Effects:
                POD HD300
                MXR 10 Band EQ

Good Transactions: cadfael, kev324, sahlomonic, Lucius

Comment

What components did you measure from and to? I've noticed no tonal differences at all.

Good transactions:
                  StevePage (b)
                  Deadeye Dom (s)
                  Maiden_Fan (s)
                  metareal (s)
                  YourGuitarHero (b)
                  Ratae Coritanorum (b)
                  ¤ Matt ¤ (s)

Comment

What components did you measure from and to? I've noticed no tonal differences at all.

Good transactions:
                    StevePage (b)
                    Deadeye Dom (s)
                    Maiden_Fan (s)
                    metareal (s)
                    YourGuitarHero (b)
                    Ratae Coritanorum (b)
                    ¤ Matt ¤ (s)

Comment

I was just making **************** up, I'd love to learn how people measure pickups and pots and stuff

Comment

I was just making **************** up, I'd love to learn how people measure pickups and pots and stuff

Comment

Ive never had a problem with the EMG solderless stuff. Truth be told , every time a customer asked me to install them , I knew it was going to be a breeze and I never once had an issue. I also love the fact that if you ever want to try a different EMG , you don't have to fiddle around in the control cavity. Just pull the pickup out and attatch the multipin to the new one.
                          ----------------------------------------
                          1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom- Wine Red
                          1971 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
                          1995 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                          2010 Fender American Tele
                          2011 Fender Am. Std Strat
                          1984 Marshall JCM 800 2203
                          1974 Marshall JMP Superlead
                          Orange Rockerverb 100 MK II
                          Peavey JSX
                          Peavey XXX
                          Line 6 Spider IV 75 (2) for the cover band
                          Orange cabs
                          Beer & Whiskey

Comment

Ive never had a problem with the EMG solderless stuff. Truth be told , every time a customer asked me to install them , I knew it was going to be a breeze and I never once had an issue. I also love the fact that if you ever want to try a different EMG , you don't have to fiddle around in the control cavity. Just pull the pickup out and attatch the multipin to the new one.
                            ----------------------------------------
                            1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom- Wine Red
                            1971 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
                            1995 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                            2010 Fender American Tele
                            2011 Fender Am. Std Strat
                            1984 Marshall JCM 800 2203
                            1974 Marshall JMP Superlead
                            Orange Rockerverb 100 MK II
                            Peavey JSX
                            Peavey XXX
                            Line 6 Spider IV 75 (2) for the cover band
                            Orange cabs
                            Beer & Whiskey

Comment

I used the EMG preamp 3 way switch instead of the separate board. Wasn't a cluster fk at all.

Comment

I used the EMG preamp 3 way switch instead of the separate board. Wasn't a cluster fk at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X