Jackson Soloist SLX

VKiller

• Members

Was thinking about picking up one of these inexpensive shredders. I'm sure the pickups could use a swapping out and I'm not so sure about the Floyd Rose Special trem. These are about 1/4 of the price of a SL2....wondering if they're decent! Any opinions?

2916220503_frt_wmd_001.png

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by VKiller View Post
Was thinking about picking up one of these inexpensive shredders. I'm sure the pickups could use a swapping out and I'm not so sure about the Floyd Rose Special trem. These are about 1/4 of the price of a SL2....wondering if they're decent! Any opinions?

Play it for yourself and see - it matters not what anyone else thinks but you.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by VKiller View Post

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Northernrebel View Post
The knife edges on the FR specials don't last very long IMO.

If you use your floyd a lot, you are better off going with an original.

Dull/knicked/{censored}ed-up knife edges will lead to tuning problems, and you can only file them so many times.
This. My liscensed FRs worked great until they wore out, now theyre barely holding together and Ill be buying replacements soon. Go with an OFR if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by LynchProtoge View Post
No, shut up. If the thing is going to ware out/break, its better to know what you're getting into.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Northernrebel View Post
The knife edges on the FR specials don't last very long IMO.

If you use your floyd a lot, you are better off going with an original.

Dull/knicked/{censored}ed-up knife edges will lead to tuning problems, and you can only file them so many times.
This. My liscensed FRs worked great until they wore out, now theyre barely holding together and Ill be buying replacements soon. Go with an OFR if you can.

No, shut up. If the thing is going to ware out/break, its better to know what you're getting into.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post

Dude, go dry hump a lawnmower or something. If he gets a bad floyd thats an easy fix. The overall guitar is whats to be considered, not just one single part that may or may not be bad.

Do you even play? STFU & GTFO

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post

Dude, go dry hump a lawnmower or something. If he gets a bad floyd thats an easy fix. The overall guitar is whats to be considered, not just one single part that may or may not be bad.

Do you even play? STFU & GTFO

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mamberg View Post
I guess we're back to 'you get what you pay for' (why does that sound familiar?)

do you want to spend the money for an SL2, or do you want the quality level of an SLX?
The quality factor is subjective. It always buggers me how so many musicians have such snotty/snobbish/smug attitudes about gear, and fail to accept the long standing principle that one mans junk is another mans treasure.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mamberg View Post
I guess we're back to 'you get what you pay for' (why does that sound familiar?)

do you want to spend the money for an SL2, or do you want the quality level of an SLX?
The quality factor is subjective. It always buggers me how so many musicians have such snotty/snobbish/smug attitudes about gear, and fail to accept the long standing principle that one mans junk is another mans treasure.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LynchProtoge

View Post

How is your Daisy Rock guitar treating you?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LynchProtoge

View Post

How is your Daisy Rock guitar treating you?

• Members

Floyd Rose Special is the korean FR, right?

I think the only difference between it and the OFR is it has zinc saddles and block instead of steel/brass.

edit: yeah - from the Floyd Rose site

"The Floyd Rose Special is our Authentic version of a licensed Floyd Rose tremolo system manufactured in Korea exclusively for Floyd Rose. The Floyd Rose Special maintains the construction parameters and features of an Original Floyd Rose, while utilizing zinc alloy saddles in place of steel and a zinc alloy sustain block in place of brass. The design specifications and high quality materials of the Special Series Floyd Rose bridge will hold up to the demands of today's performers."

I have one of these on my Floyd Rose discovery guitar and it's awesome.

• Members
I'll just call bull{censored} on this right now.

If you are a bedroom player, then yeah, the quality factor MAY be subjective......especially if re-tuning your guitar every ten minutes is no big deal. But if you are a a working semi-pro or pro, and you don't want to have to re-tune your guitar between every song in a set, then you get an original Floyd with real hardened steel parts. And please don't tell us how great the licensed floyd is on your garbage 6 month old guitar .......blah, blah, blah. Go put 10,000 cycles on it, then come back here and tell us how it doesn't know what the {censored} return to zero is.

Nothing "snobbish" about that. Just common sense.

Archived