I would like to buy one of them mini tube heads. Which are good?

omni

• Members

I don't want to spend much. I want something that is fun playing through with lots of gain but with a good tone. Any recommendations? I ain't going to Guitar Center to try them out. I'll order online. I like high gain but with nice tone.

• Members

How small and how much are you looking to spend?

I thoroughly enjoyed my blackstar HT5 when I had it. It's not exactly my favorite tone or anything, but it sounded plenty good for a small amp.

Egnater tweakers are fun as well, but if you're looking for high gain as in modern metal territory, I don't think it's the best option. But, for more classic rockish type stuff, it's nice.

I played a mini recto once in a music store and thought it was pretty killer, but it's about a grand new.

• Members

How small and how much are you looking to spend?

I thoroughly enjoyed my blackstar HT5 when I had it. It's not exactly my favorite tone or anything, but it sounded plenty good for a small amp.

Egnater tweakers are fun as well, but if you're looking for high gain as in modern metal territory, I don't think it's the best option. But, for more classic rockish type stuff, it's nice.

I played a mini recto once in a music store and thought it was pretty killer, but it's about a grand new.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by omni

View Post

I don't want to spend much. I want something that is fun playing through with lots of gain but with a good tone. Any recommendations? I ain't going to Guitar Center to try them out. I'll order online. I like high gain but with nice tone.

Reason Bambino is pretty nice. I've had mine for a couple years now.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by omni

View Post

Reason Bambino is pretty nice. I've had mine for a couple years now.

• Members

The Micro Terror is tempting as hell. I also like that little Kustom one. From the online vids I think the Greta would be fun. VHT6 looks like what I would typically prefer, but I havn't tried it.

The main reason I havn't bought a small tube head is I dont have a cab. But since Im getting my Bassman overhauled thats about to change.

I can see the real possibility of a Tiny Terror(or the head cabinet version with the effects loop) in my future. I grown to really appreciate the sounds an Orange puts out, not quite like anything else IMO.

• Members

The Micro Terror is tempting as hell. I also like that little Kustom one. From the online vids I think the Greta would be fun. VHT6 looks like what I would typically prefer, but I havn't tried it.

The main reason I havn't bought a small tube head is I dont have a cab. But since Im getting my Bassman overhauled thats about to change.

I can see the real possibility of a Tiny Terror(or the head cabinet version with the effects loop) in my future. I grown to really appreciate the sounds an Orange puts out, not quite like anything else IMO.

• Members

What type of high gain are we talking about?

I picked up an Egnater Tweaker 15 watt head and it covers so much ground. I love how it sounds on the vintage USA setting (I was looking at other cleaner type amps when I decided on this). However, I switched it over to the modern British settings and this thing rips without pedals! I would say that it will definitely cover modern hard rock, but I am not sure about modern metal [since I don't play that music]...

It has been super fun!

Cole

• Members

What type of high gain are we talking about?

I picked up an Egnater Tweaker 15 watt head and it covers so much ground. I love how it sounds on the vintage USA setting (I was looking at other cleaner type amps when I decided on this). However, I switched it over to the modern British settings and this thing rips without pedals! I would say that it will definitely cover modern hard rock, but I am not sure about modern metal [since I don't play that music]...

It has been super fun!

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Robson780

View Post

Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18. /thread

I tested a 808-type od on a TB 36.

Sounded really nice, and went from AC/DC crunch to satanrock with a press on the pedal smile.gif

Cool sounding amp.

Archived