Sour Mash cabs....

colejustesen

• Members

So I have an itch to get a new cab... I have been scouring the local Craigslist for a good deal, but yet to find anything. I was watching a Peavey XXX cab, but it is not as wide as my Marshall head. There also is a Marshall 1936, but I have heard they aren't the best sounding cabs; and depending on where/when they were made determines whether it was MDF or birch plywood...

So as I was searching I came across the Sour Mash brand and they make a 1936 knock off for what seems like a decent price. I am not wanting it loaded; as I have speakers that I will load into it.

I would get one that looks like this if I did go through them

1936%20modern,lrg%20check-1000x1000.jpg

love.gif

Do any of you have experiences with Sour Mash? If so, what is your opinion?

I also came across Seismic Audio and Studio 7, but I don't know anything about them... Whereas Sour Mash I swear I have heard/read about before.

Thanks wave.gif

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Van_Muddlestein View Post
I had a marshall style 6x12 from them for a while. It was pretty great. They make very solidly built cabinets.
Quote Originally Posted by Cibyl View Post
I have one of their 1x12 cabs. Solid, sounds good.
Thanks guys! They look well made, but I haven't seen any pictures of them other than what is on their website. I was worried about build quality; though you have squashed any doubts!

I have heard some negative feedback on the Marshall 1936 cabinet; so it makes me wonder if that negative feedback is due to the components of the cab or the shape/design. The reason I mention this is because if the shape/design is the factor I don't know if the Sour Mash would be right for me either. That being said, what I have heard of the Marshall 1936 cab on YouTube sounds good to my ears.

Cole

• Members
I had a marshall style 6x12 from them for a while. It was pretty great. They make very solidly built cabinets.
Thanks guys! They look well made, but I haven't seen any pictures of them other than what is on their website. I was worried about build quality; though you have squashed any doubts!

I have heard some negative feedback on the Marshall 1936 cabinet; so it makes me wonder if that negative feedback is due to the components of the cab or the shape/design. The reason I mention this is because if the shape/design is the factor I don't know if the Sour Mash would be right for me either. That being said, what I have heard of the Marshall 1936 cab on YouTube sounds good to my ears.

Cole

• Members

Cole

• Members

Cole

• Members

I have a Sour mash 1960 "TB" . It's basically a 1960TV, but a bottom cab, instead of an angled cab, and it's an inch or 2 deeper than a 1960TV.

Gret construction. Solid sounding. Tolexed well. Sounds killer. Nice & resonant. No farts or rattles. Vintage purists / cork sniffer types would prolly frown on it, but it works great & sounds great to me. Ive gotten lots of compliments on it.

My broe bought it, with a matching to cab 4 or 5 years ago. He kept the angled cab & sold me the bottom.

It had Salt & Pepper cloth (kinda had a yellowish tint to it..like an Egnater cab has) that I changed out in favor for re-issue Marshall Bluesbreaker cloth. I ran the cloth vertical, instead of horizontal, to look more like a mid 60's Marshall bottom cab.

• Members

I have a Sour mash 1960 "TB" . It's basically a 1960TV, but a bottom cab, instead of an angled cab, and it's an inch or 2 deeper than a 1960TV.

Gret construction. Solid sounding. Tolexed well. Sounds killer. Nice & resonant. No farts or rattles. Vintage purists / cork sniffer types would prolly frown on it, but it works great & sounds great to me. Ive gotten lots of compliments on it.

My broe bought it, with a matching to cab 4 or 5 years ago. He kept the angled cab & sold me the bottom.

It had Salt & Pepper cloth (kinda had a yellowish tint to it..like an Egnater cab has) that I changed out in favor for re-issue Marshall Bluesbreaker cloth. I ran the cloth vertical, instead of horizontal, to look more like a mid 60's Marshall bottom cab.

• Members

• Members

Archived