15" speakers?

Viesczy

• Members

So I'm playing through my Laney TT50C last night, loving the tones from my 4x12 Avatar loaded w Eminence V12s but not the tones from the combo's stock Celestion Lead 80s and I got to thinking...

Why not upgrad the stock speaker to an Em V15L, or another 15"? Give a little better bottom end and as there is mid/upper range for days in Laney amps there isn't anything to lose!

So, who hear is using 15s?

Yeah, I know that I could just drop a different voiced 12 in there, but that combo is 10 years old now and she's due for an upgrade to something new. It not like there's a warranty to void!

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Derek

PS sorry for any multiple posts, the first one(s) went into no man's land it appears. Sorry if it shows up twice or more! DMAN interwebs!

• Members

Havent heard of an Emi v15 but i have used emi's Big Ben and Legend 151. The 151 is darker and mellower while the Big Ben is much more lively and brighter, i like them both really.

Also 15s dont necessarily have more lowend, they just respond a bit differently in fact neither of those speakers has the lowend of a Swamp Thang.

• Members

Havent heard of an Emi v15 but i have used emi's Big Ben and Legend 151. The 151 is darker and mellower while the Big Ben is much more lively and brighter, i like them both really.

Also 15s dont necessarily have more lowend, they just respond a bit differently in fact neither of those speakers has the lowend of a Swamp Thang.

• Members

I have a 2x15" cab that I used for years before grabbing a 1960. The eminence legends in there sounds pretty good, they have a thick low end without getting into bass player territory. They speakers themselves are a bit scooped sounding, but with a treble peak around 4khz. One thing I noticed about them was that they added sick thump when I engaged the octave down on my whammy pedal that wasn't there when I was just running my 1960A.

• Members

I have a 2x15" cab that I used for years before grabbing a 1960. The eminence legends in there sounds pretty good, they have a thick low end without getting into bass player territory. They speakers themselves are a bit scooped sounding, but with a treble peak around 4khz. One thing I noticed about them was that they added sick thump when I engaged the octave down on my whammy pedal that wasn't there when I was just running my 1960A.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by exafro

View Post

If i remember correctly yours is an Avatar right? If so that the same Legends i use and i agree about the scooped sound.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by exafro

View Post

If i remember correctly yours is an Avatar right? If so that the same Legends i use and i agree about the scooped sound.

• Members

Right, it depends on the construction. However, in general the larger a speaker's effective surface area the lower its resonance frequency.

If we are talking about subs or PA speakers sure but most 15s built for guitar really arent all that bassy, theyre just sorta "rounder" sounding.

• Members

Right, it depends on the construction. However, in general the larger a speaker's effective surface area the lower its resonance frequency.

If we are talking about subs or PA speakers sure but most 15s built for guitar really arent all that bassy, theyre just sorta "rounder" sounding.

• Members

Alright so after looking the ole TT50C over, I don't think the 15'll fit in her now. Maybe just speaker swap and a separate 15" cab. She is due for an update.

Now who makes a 15" guitar cab? Avatar doesn't any longer? Maybe one of the JCA 12" and cutting it?

Derek

• Members

Alright so after looking the ole TT50C over, I don't think the 15'll fit in her now. Maybe just speaker swap and a separate 15" cab. She is due for an update.

Now who makes a 15" guitar cab? Avatar doesn't any longer? Maybe one of the JCA 12" and cutting it?

Derek

• Members

Don't tease about the Mesa, that 2x15 would go great with my Road King... then I'd still need one for my TT50C as it would get jealous... 'least that is what I'd tell Karen! wink.gif

Lopo does make a 1x15! $260. I found a couple other places too, got them bookmarked at home.

I love having a mission... of course this is keeping me from the 5150 III (thanks Loop!). frown.gif

Derek

Archived