English Mastiffs

Hapless

• Members

Had one. Great dogs. If you havw carpets, kiss those goodbye...slobber will be everywhere. I had a Neopolitan. The dog was so smart it could open doors if be could push them open, but if he accidentally shut himself in a room, he would freak out and bust brought the door. 3 doors later, new locks were installed...

• Members

Had one. Great dogs. If you havw carpets, kiss those goodbye...slobber will be everywhere. I had a Neopolitan. The dog was so smart it could open doors if be could push them open, but if he accidentally shut himself in a room, he would freak out and bust brought the door. 3 doors later, new locks were installed...

• Members

i have a english mastiff / st bernard mix. best dog i have ever known or been around. he is so loyal and loving. great with other dogs, cats and kids. i think the 150 comment is a little low, maybe for females but yogi is over 170 and many get to over 200lbs. drool is a factor as well as increased costs for food and medications and they have a shorter life span which is sad. they love a daily walk but are pretty happy just lounging around protecting their home base and being near their pack. they love the winters, generally the summer is too hot for yogi at least. i love yogi so much its crazy, he is such a good friend.

photo-33.jpg
photo-41.jpg
photo-42.jpg
photo-58.jpg
photo-8.jpg
photo-9.jpg
IMG959248-1.jpg
photo-12.jpg
fgdf.jpg

• Members

i have a english mastiff / st bernard mix. best dog i have ever known or been around. he is so loyal and loving. great with other dogs, cats and kids. i think the 150 comment is a little low, maybe for females but yogi is over 170 and many get to over 200lbs. drool is a factor as well as increased costs for food and medications and they have a shorter life span which is sad. they love a daily walk but are pretty happy just lounging around protecting their home base and being near their pack. they love the winters, generally the summer is too hot for yogi at least. i love yogi so much its crazy, he is such a good friend.

photo-33.jpg
photo-41.jpg
photo-42.jpg
photo-58.jpg
photo-8.jpg
photo-9.jpg
IMG959248-1.jpg
photo-12.jpg
fgdf.jpg

• Members

Of mastiffs I've owned a Dogue De Bordeaux (French Mastiff - Hooch from Turner & Hooch), a Fila (Brazilian Mastiff) and we currently own 2 Bullmastiffs.

Mogul, the DdB male, weighed about 135-145lbs and was a great DdB who died too young due to cancer. He was a great dog! I left him with my ex as I couldn't care/have for him and my American Bulldog. Tricia the twat, fed him and provided for Mogul but when his cancer first manifested she did nothing until it was too late. The vet told me that if she'd've seen Mogul 3 - 5 weeks earlier she believes she couldn've saved him as the tumor would've still be operable, that she believed Tricia was guilty of felony animal abuse. I miss him to this day and I'm sorry that I left him die with that f*cking bitch.

Rakshasa, the Fila male, was a little outta spec in size (the breeder also bred mastiffs and I believe there was some hybridization done) as he was 210 lbs and 33". A "normal" Fila isn't that tall or that heavy as they're not really able to work in their native jungles at the size. Rak died @ 10 due to complications of surgery. He bloated, we caught it within 10 mins, he survived the surgery we were told he'd be home the next day and he died overnight. Rak was an amazing boy who loved Karen, would've died to protect her and the house.

JB and Hooch (male & female) are bullmastiffs both from the ABA Rescue. JB is like 150 ish and a good boy too. Hooch is 120 lbs and a great girl.

All Mastiffs have a mature mind, they are very intelligent, they are very powerful, and they are very devoted but they are mature dogs. They're not going to bounce like a Terrier, they're not OMG WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO like a Border Collie, they're not as sharp as a Belg Mal/Terv/Sheepdog. They are more logical than that, they love you and they'll do all to please you but in their time, just like a human. You know how if you ask someone a favor, they do it but they typically wrap up something first? That is a mastiff as compared to other breeds. They're on it, but on their time table.

A word of caution, beyond any health issues that might pop up (hips, bloat, elbows, entropian), they are like having cattle in the house. Rak @ 210 was like having a sofa walking around, a red brindle sofa but a sofa nonetheless.

I prefer American Bulldogs, they're more the size of a foot rest than a sofa, are far more biddable, can work longer/harder, are harder tempered, and a little healthier, but I wouldn't say no to a sound mastiff breed. I'd prefer a Fila, not one as large as Rak though!

If you have further questions, lemme know.

Derek

• Members

Of mastiffs I've owned a Dogue De Bordeaux (French Mastiff - Hooch from Turner & Hooch), a Fila (Brazilian Mastiff) and we currently own 2 Bullmastiffs.

Mogul, the DdB male, weighed about 135-145lbs and was a great DdB who died too young due to cancer. He was a great dog! I left him with my ex as I couldn't care/have for him and my American Bulldog. Tricia the twat, fed him and provided for Mogul but when his cancer first manifested she did nothing until it was too late. The vet told me that if she'd've seen Mogul 3 - 5 weeks earlier she believes she couldn've saved him as the tumor would've still be operable, that she believed Tricia was guilty of felony animal abuse. I miss him to this day and I'm sorry that I left him die with that f*cking bitch.

Rakshasa, the Fila male, was a little outta spec in size (the breeder also bred mastiffs and I believe there was some hybridization done) as he was 210 lbs and 33". A "normal" Fila isn't that tall or that heavy as they're not really able to work in their native jungles at the size. Rak died @ 10 due to complications of surgery. He bloated, we caught it within 10 mins, he survived the surgery we were told he'd be home the next day and he died overnight. Rak was an amazing boy who loved Karen, would've died to protect her and the house.

JB and Hooch (male & female) are bullmastiffs both from the ABA Rescue. JB is like 150 ish and a good boy too. Hooch is 120 lbs and a great girl.

All Mastiffs have a mature mind, they are very intelligent, they are very powerful, and they are very devoted but they are mature dogs. They're not going to bounce like a Terrier, they're not OMG WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO like a Border Collie, they're not as sharp as a Belg Mal/Terv/Sheepdog. They are more logical than that, they love you and they'll do all to please you but in their time, just like a human. You know how if you ask someone a favor, they do it but they typically wrap up something first? That is a mastiff as compared to other breeds. They're on it, but on their time table.

A word of caution, beyond any health issues that might pop up (hips, bloat, elbows, entropian), they are like having cattle in the house. Rak @ 210 was like having a sofa walking around, a red brindle sofa but a sofa nonetheless.

I prefer American Bulldogs, they're more the size of a foot rest than a sofa, are far more biddable, can work longer/harder, are harder tempered, and a little healthier, but I wouldn't say no to a sound mastiff breed. I'd prefer a Fila, not one as large as Rak though!

If you have further questions, lemme know.

Derek

• Members

We went and looked at the litter tonight. Probably going to be getting a male they named Dozer due to the fact that when they were still on the tit, he'd bulldoze the rest of the pups off mom. They brought dad out for us to see. HOLY {censored}ING {censored} that dog is huge. Pictures just don't do them justice. Amazing animals.

• Members

We went and looked at the litter tonight. Probably going to be getting a male they named Dozer due to the fact that when they were still on the tit, he'd bulldoze the rest of the pups off mom. They brought dad out for us to see. HOLY {censored}ING {censored} that dog is huge. Pictures just don't do them justice. Amazing animals.

• Members

I have a 165lb Cane Corso. I can't say enough good things about Mastiffs. Pretty much what is said is true. Be prepared for drool and large food and vet bills. Also, if you have no experience with a large breed, take it to obedience classes. If you're not the alpha, then you have no business with a large dog.

• Members

I have a 165lb Cane Corso. I can't say enough good things about Mastiffs. Pretty much what is said is true. Be prepared for drool and large food and vet bills. Also, if you have no experience with a large breed, take it to obedience classes. If you're not the alpha, then you have no business with a large dog.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by facefirst View Post
Cane's are a great example of a working sized dog, love them!

+ a trillion to alpha statement. I don't doubt that Hap'll be able to handle his new puppy when he (the dog not Hap) reaches Cyclopean dimensions. Hap's a law dog, I'm sure he knows his way about exerting his authority.

Derek

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by facefirst View Post
Cane's are a great example of a working sized dog, love them!

+ a trillion to alpha statement. I don't doubt that Hap'll be able to handle his new puppy when he (the dog not Hap) reaches Cyclopean dimensions. Hap's a law dog, I'm sure he knows his way about exerting his authority.

Derek

Archived