I need some speaker suggestions for the DSL

guitarbilly74

• Members

So while I love the K85s with the Laney, I am thinking they are a bit too thumpy and bass heavy with the Marshall. I've used the DSL with 75's and V30's in the past with good results so no need to discuss them, I know they will work... but I am also interested in other suggestions. Basically I am looking for a lot of clarity and cut while keeping a good amount of (tight) low end. smile.gif

• Members

CL-80's/BL-80's... because I've recently discovered these and will be recommending them on every "recommend me a speaker" thread until I get tired of them icon_lol.gif

But seriously, I'm thinking an interesting thought. Seeing as how I plan to swing by and try out your K85's on Saturday I can bring my new XL cab with V30's and maybe you won't care to try any new speakers because you'll be reminded of why they're one of your favorite speakers and then we can do a straight swap icon_lol.gif

• Members

CL-80's/BL-80's... because I've recently discovered these and will be recommending them on every "recommend me a speaker" thread until I get tired of them icon_lol.gif

But seriously, I'm thinking an interesting thought. Seeing as how I plan to swing by and try out your K85's on Saturday I can bring my new XL cab with V30's and maybe you won't care to try any new speakers because you'll be reminded of why they're one of your favorite speakers and then we can do a straight swap icon_lol.gif

• Members

I have used GT-75's, V-30's and Greenbacks on a regular basis with my DSL.

Out of those 3, I like the GT-75's the least. (Kind of harsh top end)

V-30's i did like for the 5-months i used a cab at a rehearsal studio.

Overall i like the smooth creaminess of the Greenback for this amp.

icon_lol.gif

reeses-smooth-n-creamy-fullsize.jpg

• Members

I have used GT-75's, V-30's and Greenbacks on a regular basis with my DSL.

Out of those 3, I like the GT-75's the least. (Kind of harsh top end)

V-30's i did like for the 5-months i used a cab at a rehearsal studio.

Overall i like the smooth creaminess of the Greenback for this amp.

icon_lol.gif

reeses-smooth-n-creamy-fullsize.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R View Post

that's a good idea actually, I am open to it smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R View Post

that's a good idea actually, I am open to it smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

So while I love the K85s with the Laney, I am thinking they are a bit too thumpy and bass heavy with the Marshall. I've used the DSL with 75's and V30's in the past with good results so no need to discuss them, I know they will work... but I am also interested in other suggestions. Basically I am looking for a lot of clarity and cut while keeping a good amount of (tight) low end. smile.gif

Weber FC12 (Fane clones) idn_smilie.gif I think they made my JCA100H cut through damn well. Ask KCTigerChief what he thinks of them.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

Weber FC12 (Fane clones) idn_smilie.gif I think they made my JCA100H cut through damn well. Ask KCTigerChief what he thinks of them.

• Members

I really don't like to X pattern speakers because 100% of the venues I play will use a single mic so it's kind of pointless and a pain in the butt to be honest. I had a cab with V30/75s at one point and I remember I'd eq the sound from the amp and the FOH would sound completely different. Then I adjust the way I wanted in the FOH and the stage sound would not be good. I pretty much gave up on it after a while.

I love Greenbacks but they are kind of smooth sounding and since I removed C12 from the Marshall, the amp sounds really thick now and I need speakers that will go in the opposite direction...

• Members

I really don't like to X pattern speakers because 100% of the venues I play will use a single mic so it's kind of pointless and a pain in the butt to be honest. I had a cab with V30/75s at one point and I remember I'd eq the sound from the amp and the FOH would sound completely different. Then I adjust the way I wanted in the FOH and the stage sound would not be good. I pretty much gave up on it after a while.

I love Greenbacks but they are kind of smooth sounding and since I removed C12 from the Marshall, the amp sounds really thick now and I need speakers that will go in the opposite direction...

Archived