OT: Anyone else interested in Valve's Piston gaming console?

thefyn

• Members

I think dusting off counter strike on my home theater would be a riot:

xi3-piston-03-580x386.jpg

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/s...t-ces-2013018/

Valve grabbed the headlines last year with a number of announcements, not least of which was the introduction of Big Picture Mode and a move to support Linux with Steam. Gabe Newell also confirmed in December that Valve will be releasing a Steam games console, and an early version of the so-called Steam Box has appeared at CES.

Valve isn

• Members

Performance still seems a question, especially in a tiny box like that. You can easily fit a pretty good dual or quad core CPU in that but a proper graphics card might be more difficult. AMD has some half decent integrated graphics, Intel doesn't though their next CPU is supposed to at least improve that. Mobile GPUs are still not that great.

• Members

Performance still seems a question, especially in a tiny box like that. You can easily fit a pretty good dual or quad core CPU in that but a proper graphics card might be more difficult. AMD has some half decent integrated graphics, Intel doesn't though their next CPU is supposed to at least improve that. Mobile GPUs are still not that great.

• Members

AMD APU's certainly haven't nearly reached the level of performance of actual video cards, but they aren't bad, and it's rumored both the new xbox and playstation will sport some form of them.

I had to replace my wife's laptop earlier this year, and just out of my curiosity I got her one with and AMD A6. I forget the model#, but it was the 1.9/3.5ghz one. It's a low-end processor for all intents and purposes, the laptop was $400.

I installed skyrim on her laptop just for {censored}s and giggles and by god, if it didn't run skyrim at a useable framerate at medium settings. I jogged all about Windhelm just to see how it handled having multiple NPC's around, and it did skip a few frames, but nothing even CLOSE to as terrible as when I tried to play SWTOR on my 5-year-old "almost cut it but just baaaaaaarely missed minimum requirements" laptop. I didn't have FRAPS to check but I'd say it was low 20's. I'm sure it might have to be adjusted to low settings to keep from bogging down once you've got a half dozen enemies after you, but still...I was pleasantly surprised.

• Members

AMD APU's certainly haven't nearly reached the level of performance of actual video cards, but they aren't bad, and it's rumored both the new xbox and playstation will sport some form of them.

I had to replace my wife's laptop earlier this year, and just out of my curiosity I got her one with and AMD A6. I forget the model#, but it was the 1.9/3.5ghz one. It's a low-end processor for all intents and purposes, the laptop was $400.

I installed skyrim on her laptop just for {censored}s and giggles and by god, if it didn't run skyrim at a useable framerate at medium settings. I jogged all about Windhelm just to see how it handled having multiple NPC's around, and it did skip a few frames, but nothing even CLOSE to as terrible as when I tried to play SWTOR on my 5-year-old "almost cut it but just baaaaaaarely missed minimum requirements" laptop. I didn't have FRAPS to check but I'd say it was low 20's. I'm sure it might have to be adjusted to low settings to keep from bogging down once you've got a half dozen enemies after you, but still...I was pleasantly surprised.

Archived