Reduce amp brightness at listening distance

S J B

• Members

Hey Guys,

I've been stepping out into the audience space more recently before the show to check my tones at listening distance and have been increasingly concerned about the brightness and thinning effect distance has.

It's a classic case of the tone sounding great when you stand on stage in front of it, but when the sound actually travels and develops and is received by the audience, it's completely different.

I usually tilt back about 40 degress to help with that, but still the same effect about 10-20 feet in front. 40 watt 6L6 combo, heavily modified, 1x12 alnico jensen. Various humbucker and single coil guitars. Pretty clean and mildly overdriven mostly, up to rock crunch.

Any suggestions out there? Plexi baffling might be overkill as we don't generally mic the amps on smaller gigs. I've heard of these little felt discs you place on the grill clothe over the cone, but haven't heard many reviews...

Cheers

• Members

**bleep**p>**bleep**p>**bleep**p>The best thing about the HC3.0 thing is that none of the horrible things in this thread ever happened. **bleep**p> **bleep**p>The worst thing is that it thinks "HC3.0" is html and won't let me post this message, and when I edited it and tried again it won't let me post because I tried to post more than one time within 3,600 seconds! **bleep**p> **bleep**p>

Archived