mesa cabs

mystixboi1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got 2 4x12s and they are both very solidly built. I've cranked my head before, and they seem to be noise/rattle free, which is great for recording. Definitely road-worthy construction wise. Way more solid feeling than the Marshall cabs I've seen. In terms of options, I think they offer more sizes and custom colors and materials than most companies as well. Finally, according to the regional sales manager for the midwest, they are still using US (actually, British made I think) made Celestion speakers, and refused to substitute the Chinese ones. If this is still true, then it should be a pretty important factor to consider...this was as of 5 months ago when I ordered thou....

Sorry to sound like a fricken Mesa rep. I'm not I swear! It just happens to be the rig I own....

• Members

Hello, I would agree with the other posts that MESA cabs are built well and they have a custom shop approach to all their instruments. I have put other makers cab's side to side with the MESA and usually there is no comparison with a few exceptions. The sound is good but not great. Versatile but not really good for anyone one style of music which is a bummer to me. If you want a really tight jackhammer metal tone look elsewhere. I'm not sure if it's the speakers or what but they just don't have the fast response. Cleans have alot of resonance however. For fast articulate palm mutes try VHT in my opinion. For alternative rock the mesa excels. Obviously this is only my opinion and maybe some haven't had these problems with the cabs but all I can say is I tried everything I could to tighten up my sound with them and it wouldn't happen.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarman967

If you want a really tight jackhammer metal tone look elsewhere. I'm not sure if it's the speakers or what but they just don't have the fast response. . .I can say is I tried everything I could to tighten up my sound with them and it wouldn't happen.

Which cab where you playing through? If it was a Roadking or Recto, those are oversized and tend to accentuate the low mids and bass. As I said before, they make smaller cabs that give a more traditional, high-mids sound which some people might prefer. This might not even matter so much in a 2x12 configuration, which is smaller to begin with.

Also, how loud were you playing and where were you standing with respect to the speakers? The oversized cabs tighten up a lot as you get louder, and the only time I've noticed any muddiness was when I was off to the side of the speakers.

• Members

Hey Paulcaster I think everything you said is correct from what I've found. I am using the oversized and the tradional smaller cabs are tighter sounding and would be great cabs if they didn't have v30's in them. I hate those speakers. I didn't know that the cabs tighten up as you get louder and thank-you for the tip. I wasn't playing the cab at bedroom levels however as I would expect them not to perform up to snuff at that range. I have difinitely experienced the boomy-ness you describe when standing to the side of the cab. I hate this, not even my Marshall 1960 cab suffered from this. When your right in front of the cab it sounds defined and you can hear all the frequencies but as soon as you take a step or two to the side it sounds muffled and bass heavy. I assume that running in stereo would help if not eliminate this and I assume this is what the pro touring guys have going on. For the average guy who just spent $800+ for a cab though it's kinda dissapointing. I'm not saying this is a horrible cab I'm just comparing the cab to others in it's price range and I think MESA gets a free pass alot of the time because of the name and the range of artists that have used them. You don't hear alot about the Pittbull Fatbottom and it blows the MESA away for tightness and cutting through in a band. Just some thoughts I wanted to share for anyone that wants to buy MESA just a default move.

• Members

Obviously, the comments about amount of bass have a lot to do with all the other equipment you are using and how you EQ everything. The room you play in has a huge effect as well. I've got the Roadking head which has a gain, channel volume, and master output. I use the channel volume maxed out on the clean channel, the channel volumes on the other 3 channels match channel 1 volume wise (so now everything is as loud as possible, but still balanced across the 4 channels) and then turned up the master volume at least 1/2 way up.....um, I have very forgiving neighbors....

The reason I suggested turning up is because with a lot of higher power heads, they sound really bassy at low volumes, and only start cutting at higher volumes....maybe it's the head that's tighening up and not the cab. But it seems to me the oversized Mesas were designed to produce more bass than the average cab at any volume, so if you don't like that sound, go with the traditional size. I'd love to eventually get a traditional 4x12 loaded with greenbacks.

I'm not a metal player, so I'm not doing super fast, palm muted riffs or anything. I like a deep "whoomp" more than a metalic "chunk" if that makes any sense. As for farting out, I haven't noticed that at all...

So you guys both think cabs get flubbier as the volume goes up? I've always felt speakers operate at an optimal volume, where all frequencies are coming through as best as they possibly can.

• Members

Very well said Paulcaster and again I would agree with everything you said. I liked my Mesa cab more when I wasn't trying to do the fast palm mutes. It does have whoop that's for sure. I think your right that it is indeed the head since the cab is really only translating that sound through the speakers. the 25watt greenbacks would probably contribute more to the sound than the V30's in this regard.

• Members

I only have had a Rectoverb widebody combo (great cab tone, but kinda so-so on amp tone there) and a Mesa 1 x 12" widebody 3/4 back cab with a Celestion Black Shadow 90 that just kills.

I dumped the rectoverb, kept the widebody cab for small gigs, etc. With a 50 or 100 watt head, that thing sounds almost as good as a tight 4 x 12.

Brian

• Members

Hey SuperPA I agree the 90's are the way to go. I don't know why MESA stopped using them in there 412's but I've heard conflicting reports. Most popular is that they decided to cash in on the v30's that were outselling everything else and the tone of the cabs have suffered a little since. Some people like the speakers but I think they're very mediocre.

• Members

Originally posted by PRMike

The cabs don't tighten up with volume, unles you mean you'e barely running your amp (like volume 1 maybe) Than you need to turn it up. The over sized cabs tend to be muddy and will even fart with too much bass. I was a huge mesa cab fan until I got my Krank and their cabs make Mesa cabs laughable.

I agree that the Krank cabs are great but they too are oversized so I don't think that is the reason they sound better than the Mesa's (if that is your opinion of course), it probably has more to do with the speakers they use which are emminence. I have never heard a Mesa cab fart out before, if one is it's probably becasue it needs tightening not becasue of cab design.

• Members

Prmike, I don't know why you even bother to post on here since everyone thinks you're an asshole and doesn't respect your opinion whatsoever. And I realize you say you don't work for Krank, but all signs seem to point to the fact that you do. Why don't you do us all a favor and eat {censored} and die mother{censored}er.

• Members

yeah because anyone that is busy doing this for a "living" has nothing but time on their hands so they could post on a board a lot. I guess if I thought where I was posting was just full of kids that didn't know what they were talking about and 30 year old burnouts I probably wouldn't waste my time posting there. As far as the solid wood thing I can see where that would make a little difference, but it wouldn't make a cab sound tighter and not fart out. The amount of resonance you would get from solid wood as opposed to plywood isn't huge and especially when you're talking about how much air is being pushed from these speakers. If your theory was correct than home speaker manufacturer's wouldn't use particle board or plywood and would use solid woods.

• Members

not really...home theaters reproduce sound they don't look for tone..wood adds a tone. Companies also don't use it cause it costs them more...if there isn't a big deifference than why does everybody always search for the old cabs.. it's not cause they want 30 year old speakers.
just to prove it that way though.. i'm 90% sure Bose uses solid wood and not particle board and they have the best home theater sound period..

• Members

not really...home theaters reproduce sound they don't look for tone..wood adds a tone. Companies also don't use it cause it costs them more...if there isn't a big deifference than why does everybody always search for the old cabs.. it's not cause they want 30 year old speakers.

just to prove it that way though.. i'm 90% sure Bose uses solid wood and not particle board and they have the best home theater sound period..

i hate BOSE, at least for home audio use (never critically listened to them for home theatre use, though)

dude, why are you catching so much heat? and why the constant Krank plugs?

• Members

it's the same reason people will pay $200,000 for a 59 les paul. A lot of the guitar community live by the credo that anything older is better. In some cases that is true, but usually it is because that is what the bands they listened to growing up used and therefore that is what they percieve as being the "holy grail" of tone. I'm not saying you're completely wrong about the solid wood thing, i'm just saying that it doesn't make that big of a difference. I personally don't think the Mesa cabs are boomy, but I still think it would be more the speakers in the cabs and the amount of airspace they work better with if that is what you perceive. Just like subwoofers if you put a speaker that was designed to work in a foot qubic box. If you put it in a two cubic foot box the sound is going to be different and depending on your taste it could be a good change or a bad one.

• Members

Ok, now i'm absolutely sure you have no idea what you're talking about. If you're on a limited budget than I guess bose speakers would do, but pretty much every audiophile I know wouldn't even have those speakers in their homes. Most people I know prefer paradigm, B & W, Definitive technologies, monitor audio or a lot of other brands that are a lot better than bose. And at their price point I do not believe that they use solid woods, but it wouldn't matter because like you said they just reproduce sound, not like a guitar cabinet that reproduces the sound coming from your head right.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

it's the same reason people will pay $200,000 for a 59 les paul. A lot of the guitar community live by the credo that anything older is better. In some cases that is true, but usually it is because that is what the bands they listened to growing up used and therefore that is what they percieve as being the "holy grail" of tone. I'm not saying you're completely wrong about the solid wood thing, i'm just saying that it doesn't make that big of a difference. I personally don't think the Mesa cabs are boomy, but I still think it would be more the speakers in the cabs and the amount of airspace they work better with if that is what you perceive. Just like subwoofers if you put a speaker that was designed to work in a foot qubic box. If you put it in a two cubic foot box the sound is going to be different and depending on your taste it could be a good change or a bad one.

And I say you still make no sense because if you take a Mesa Traditional Cab and a Mesa Standard cab the speakers are THE SAME. Therefore proving it's the oversized cab in their case which makes it fart out..but scientifically looking at it, it's the extra air space which doesn't allow for the response of a smaller cab, or resonance of a wooden cab so the speakers work to try and make that bass and fart out.

The fact you've never played an original solid birch marshall compared to a new one just makes this pointless cause you have no understanding to the complete difference, but the Mesa cab example does show it's not the speakers.

Archived