Does anyone here NOT like Van Halen?

Nerine

• Members

I updated my iPhone today and removed all Van Halen tracks from it.

I think I have to say that I am just not a fan. Never really have been.

I think the songs kill it for me. Like very few of them.

There's no denying Eddies influence on guitar playing, but even so, I still feel a bit 'meh' about it all.

Don't really care that much for it.

Anyone else not an avid VH fan?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My mom got me two albums for Christmas when I was a kid. Diver Down and Led Zeppelin IV. I don't care much for VH these days, but I'm still a fan of LZ. Led Zeppelin just seemed to speak to me musically.

Eventually I went on to purchase 1984 and their first self titled album. But after 1984 I lost interest. When Sammy joined up I thought their songs matured and were more enjoyable. But, these days, I don't really actively try to listen to them.

• Members

I don't like Dave's squeals in the songs and I didn't like the later stuff with Dave & lots of keyboards. The Van Hagar era does nothing for me. So, no, I'm not a big VH fan.

I have tons of respect for Eddie as a guitarist, both leads and rhythm.

• Members

Great songs, but even with that i just could not get into them. The tread that fine line of of hard rock/pop music with some 80's glam way to close for me. There songs just seem to sound like they are geared for 14yr olds. Eddie was ok though, but Michael Anthony was the true monster in the band :o If you can find any of his bass tracks give them a listen :eek:

• Members

I understand that music tastes are different for everyone, you dont dig em you dont dig em lol, {censored} happens and it sounds like you at least respect him the band and body of work :idk:

That said the CD they put out 2 months ago is their best "work" in a longtime and eats up most of the Hagar era VH (which wasnt bad but ok imo) this recent CD just surprised me and kicks all kinds of ass imo. I was expecting a 5-6 or so (scale 1-10) and they gave me a solid 8 maybe a 9, its a KICKASS CD!

:rawk:

• Members

Being a punk... I love when other punks talk {censored} about EVH, so I can bust their balls... about how Eddie's playing was non-conformist, his guitar and gear ethos were DIY and lead to revolutionizing the industry, and knew how to make a Marshall go ballistic...

Other than that... Van Halen as a band, mostly suck...

• Members

I used to listen to Dave and Sammy VH all the time and liked all the albums. Maybe I burnt myself out or something because now I don't care to listen to any of it. I don't even have enough intrest to listen to the latest album. I think I've heard 3 songs from it and didn't really care for them.

• Members

I'm not a big DLR fan but pretty much all of the DLR era stuff is great and I really love 5150 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge out of the Hagar era. In recent years I have probably listened to the latter album more than the others (edit - this is saying something about how good the songs are IMO, because I really don't like the sound of that album). I don't listen to the radio and I purposefully don't listen to any of these albums until they feel distant enough to experience again with some real enjoyment.

Archived