Another Dreaded Ohm Question

Dawgone88

• Members

Let's say I have a combo that has an external speaker output that is labeled minimum 8 ohm.  I connect this to a cabinet that has an input and an output.  Both are labeled 8 ohm.  How does chaining these together affect the ohms? Can these cabinets be daisy chained together?  Thanks in advance.

Cabinet Back

• Members

Connecting another speaker to the output will half the ohms to 4, so any head you are using to drive this stack will need to be able to handle a 4ohm load.

Another option if your head has a 16ohm output is to make a serial box to connect the 2 speakers in series.

• Members

Dawgone88 wrote:

Let's say I have a combo that has an external speaker output that is labeled minimum 8 ohm.  I connect this to a cabinet that has an input and an output.  Both are labeled 8 ohm.  How does chaining these together affect the ohms? Can these cabinets be daisy chained together?  Thanks in advance.

Cabinet Back

So the combo says you can only connect to another 8 ohm, you plug this in and want to plug in another 8 ohm right?  You're plugging a 4 ohm load into the 8 ohm only output jack on the combo?  Don't.

Derek

• Members

I'm not sure I understand you - you want to plug (1) cabinet into the back of the combo?

If the jack on the combo says 8 ohm minimum - then you are fine to plug the cabinet pictured into it. Just run a SPEAKER cable (not instrument cable) from the output jack on the combo to the left jack on the cabinet - it says 8 ohm minimum - its an 8 ohm cabinet, so you are fine.

If you are asking if you can plug in (1) cabinet - and then daisy chain ANOTHER cabinet to that one - then you are plugging a 4 ohm load into the 8 ohm jack on the combo - probably not good.

Archived