Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok just scored some "rough" A2 , we'll see how it goes ...
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2"><br />
    <br />
    &quot;Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.&quot;<br />
    Nikola Tesla</font></div>

Comment

ok just scored some "rough" A2 , we'll see how it goes ...
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2"><br />
      <br />
      &quot;Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.&quot;<br />
      Nikola Tesla</font></div>

Comment

hmm, i'm going to try this on some SDs. easy cheap solderless tinker. will try a2, a3 & a5 - both positions.

Comment

hmm, i'm going to try this on some SDs. easy cheap solderless tinker. will try a2, a3 & a5 - both positions.

Comment

I swapped a ceramic into my JB-7 from a Custom-7, replacing the stock Alnico 5. I was always trying to get that last bit of oomph from the JB.

Swapping a ceramic into a JB turns it into what they call a Distortion Lite, or a JB+. The JB uses an Alnico 5 stock, and the Distortion uses a double thick ceramic. I only had a single thick ceramic, but I swapped it in and reinstalled and I'm very pleased with the result.

The Alnico 5 went into the Custom, which turned it into a Custom 5.
            Stupednous is the disease. And I'm the solution.

Comment

I swapped a ceramic into my JB-7 from a Custom-7, replacing the stock Alnico 5. I was always trying to get that last bit of oomph from the JB.

Swapping a ceramic into a JB turns it into what they call a Distortion Lite, or a JB+. The JB uses an Alnico 5 stock, and the Distortion uses a double thick ceramic. I only had a single thick ceramic, but I swapped it in and reinstalled and I'm very pleased with the result.

The Alnico 5 went into the Custom, which turned it into a Custom 5.
              Stupednous is the disease. And I'm the solution.

Comment

ENdtime should chime in, he's done some magnet swaps too.
                Find me and the rest of the guise here: www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

• extollo
                  extollo commented
                  Editing a comment

i have a beater with dimarzio sd's in both positions & tried a couple swaps.

a2 in the neck - generally favorable - smoother lead tone, clearer cleans overall

a5 in the bridge - generally unfavorable -  brighter and buzzier, loss of some thickness.  (was hoping lower output would reduce the rattiness) .   I'm going to mess around with this a bit more & maybe try an A3 in there.  Leaning toward going back to the ceramic though.  edit #1: getting better results after pickup height & level adj - still pondering on this.

to compare I was A/Bing some rerecorded DI tracks in a DAW.  lot's of factors of course in the results - guitar itself, pickup height, gain into daw.  tried to keeps things identical in the recording.

Working...
              X