Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do all Blues Jrs buzz loudly (even at 2 with nothing plugged in)?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do all Blues Jrs buzz loudly (even at 2 with nothing plugged in)?

I have a Blues Jr III that I bought months ago at Best Buy on closeout. It has never been "cranked" and I have it at the absolutely lowest volume where it will just start to make sound (2 on the master) and this thing buzzes even without a guitar even plugged into it.  The preamp is way down at 4 and the master is just cracked until it becomes audible.  I'm talking voluem levels so low that someone can sleep down the hall. 
    Turned to giging levels the buzz is absolutely ridiculous.

I previously owned a couple Blues Jr NOS models and returned them to GC because one had beroken knobs, one BUZZED worse than this one and one smelled like it was melting down (that's what happens becaquse GC accepts any and every return and resells broken stuff).

Do all Blues Jrs buzz like this or have all 4 that I have come in contact with been faulty?

I have a bunch of Bill M mods to install that woudl void the warranty so I want to get a warranty repair done first to fix this buzz.

Any experience?

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">DR Strings &gt; '97 Mexi Strat: USACG neck &amp; Super Vee Blade Runner &gt; Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom, Fender Original '57/'62 &gt; Barber Direct Drive &gt; Soldano Astroverb &gt; WGS RETRO 30 (replaced Vintage 30) in Avatar 2x12. DD-5 Delay, Chorus. Fender Blues Junior III (BillMAudio mods in the mail) </font></div>

And my soldano astroverb is plugged into the same wall outlet and doesn't buzz at all even with high preamp settings.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">DR Strings &gt; '97 Mexi Strat: USACG neck &amp; Super Vee Blade Runner &gt; Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom, Fender Original '57/'62 &gt; Barber Direct Drive &gt; Soldano Astroverb &gt; WGS RETRO 30 (replaced Vintage 30) in Avatar 2x12. DD-5 Delay, Chorus. Fender Blues Junior III (BillMAudio mods in the mail) </font></div>

Comment

I have experienced that problem and cured it by changing to a better grade of preamp tube.

Comment

• JetCityMatt
        JetCityMatt commented
        Editing a comment

Oh thank you!  That's smart thinking!
        I've got some old Groove Tubes 12AX7Cs I can pop in there!

Thanks I'll try it when I get up tomorrow!

Working...
    X