X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought this vintage tube amp...

Here's a Maas-Rowe Carillons Model 500 50 watts church carillon tube amp.

xxx

xxx

Can anyone give me some pointers about that speaker output? What is it called and how does it work?

xxx

Attached Files
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><b>PLAY</b><br />
    <br />
    <b><a href="http://www.jimmystgermain.com" target="_blank">Alternate tunings blog</a></b><br />
    <br />
    <b>Indépendantiste Québecois<br />
    Athée intégriste</b><br />
    </font></div>

Cool! Looks like a PA amp from a church. Looks like you're missing a power tube. It has a tube rectifier. Looks to be 2 channel at about 35 to 50 watts per channel but the channels share one preamp. If you're thinking about making this a guitar amp you want to either take it to a tech or use it as a base to learn about building/repairing amps yourself. Lots of old PA amps have been successfully converted to great sounding guitar amps.
    '78 Hamer Sunburst, Gibson LP Special, Electra X410, Fender Strat<br>Fender &quot;The Twin&quot;, '78 Fender Twin, Bugera V22, Marshall JTM 30, Marshall DSL 40C

Comment

this is a Carillon amp, designed to run a set of church bells. I repaired these when I was in High School....which was the last time I saw one.  These are not unlike 60's era Bogen school PA amps (which I also worked on). These amps are not easily modified for modern musical use or hi-fi, but it can be done...the output connector can be replaced with an XLR or a 1/4" jack, but check the resistance and wattage before you hook a loudspeaker to it! THE output resistance is variable depending on how it was connected. The chime out put has a fixed output resistance,...IIRC there are two other modules tha tshould go along with the Maas 50W...but I could be wrong, it has been a long time...

I don't have specific specs/diagrams available, but I converted some of these as bass amps and PA amps in the past...they generally do not work well for guitar, although they could be repurposed, I suppose. Oh, yeah...be very wary of the capacitors on  that beast!!!

_"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

Working...
      X