So I tried out the new Marshall JMD-1

toelessfoot

• Members

I went to the store to try the Spider Valve to see if I could use it for small gigs, and while it sounded great, the same lack of dynamics, as in the Spider IV, were present and would probably make it tough to hear the amp live.

I then noticed that the store had a JMD-1 100 watt head and so I tried it out through a 1960. It sounded pretty good, and didn't have any of the compression/dynamics issues from the spider valve. There was also a JVM next to it, so while the JMD1 tones were fresh in my memory I played through the JVM to see if I would notice any any glarring differences and I didn't. It seemed like maybe the edge of breakup tones were better in the JVM but otherwise they both sounded great.

So the new Marshall JMD-1 looks like it could fit the bill, plus it has sweet side handles for the load in/out.

marshall-jmd1-storypic.jpg

• Members

I wonder why side handles on 2x12 combos are so rare. I mean those things usually weigh a friggin ton, and they have a {censored}ing plastic strap on the top or something
:facepalm:

Amen...

Course I don't play combo's for that exact reason... I like my back just the way it is.

• Members

I don't understand. The lack of dynamics etc. I actually starve for a 3-4 channel amp and it still won't light a candle to any midi tube preamp or a pod or whatever for having multiple variations even of just the marshall sounds in the same time.

Why does somebody have to switch from clean to rythm just with his playing? It is a hassle to me, my amp does it (EL-84's) and I am already thinking of adding a clean-clean amp (maybe solid state). Then I got my bluesy sound on the edge of breakup, then rock rythm heavy rythm lead etc.

I cannot understand why a "lack of dynamics" is something that will not allow an amp to be heard live. A simple peavey bandit is not the most dynamic amp in the world and damn if it doesn't sound loud. It kicks several small tube amps butt in that department even live and it also is a 112 combo.

The modelling thing however? Open up a flextone see how small everything is (and why not in the house it will do the job) and then you understand why it gives a power amp speaker cabinet knobs and pod sounds in a price just above the recent pods...

If the JMD does not run out of steam it will be heard. And if you say it sounds as good or close to a JVM in reasonable volumes with reasonable price then :thu: for marshall.

I also love the idea of side handles. The JVM 410c could be on my list just for that!

• Members

Why the hell would anyone in their right mind use a modelled Mode Four or Haze?

Though I'm skeptical about the price and generally quality (especially based on Marshall's recent stuff), the modelling side of things was apparently done by Softube - and if you've ever played Vintage Amp Room you'll understand why that's a good thing.

Every clip I've heard of this amp sounds like fuzzy, harsh {censored} - even the official demo.

At first I thought it was just recording quality/compression, but it's the same horrible sound in every video so far.....

EooMTY32Sd8

8GVsoF9_ioc

[YOUTUBE]E3a4eCc71cI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]XSvTngzccAo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]RRdR8WgrdsQ[/YOUTUBE]

:facepalm:

• Members

I don't understand. The lack of dynamics etc. I actually starve for a 3-4 channel amp and it still won't light a candle to any midi tube preamp or a pod or whatever for having multiple variations even of just the marshall sounds in the same time.

Why does somebody have to switch from clean to rythm just with his playing? It is a hassle to me, my amp does it (EL-84's) and I am already thinking of adding a clean-clean amp (maybe solid state). Then I got my bluesy sound on the edge of breakup, then rock rythm heavy rythm lead etc.

I cannot understand why a "lack of dynamics" is something that will not allow an amp to be heard live. A simple peavey bandit is not the most dynamic amp in the world and damn if it doesn't sound loud. It kicks several small tube amps butt in that department even live and it also is a 112 combo.

The modelling thing however? Open up a flextone see how small everything is (and why not in the house it will do the job) and then you understand why it gives a power amp speaker cabinet knobs and pod sounds in a price just above the recent pods...

If the JMD does not run out of steam it will be heard. And if you say it sounds as good or close to a JVM in reasonable volumes with reasonable price then
:thu:
for marshall.

I also love the idea of side handles. The JVM 410c could be on my list just for that!

ummm.... wat?

• Members

ummm.... wat?

Doesn't sound like English as a first language does it?

I thought using Babelfish to translate that comment to German then back again would help me make more sense of it, but apparently not.

I don' t understand. The lack of dynamics etc. I verhungere really for 3-4 a channel ampere and it still won' T-light candle to any Midi Schlauchvorverst

• Members

A couple of those youtube clips do sound pretty unpleasant, but I had a pretty good time with it in store and it wasn't as fizzy or thin as those clips would imply.

It is modeling marshalls though and in my experience marshall are brighter and thinner sounding than most amps.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I gotta say, having gigged with the SV212 aand the SV212 Mkii and now the JMD501, that the JMD gives me everything I want in the core amp tone. Yes the effects are a bit limited and lacking in variety, compared with what you can get with the SV series, but I just played a show last night with the JMD501 and the clean tone (hit with a boost from the Z.Vex Super Hard On) was absolutely amazing with my Strat. Likewise, I was able to dial in some picture-perfect Marshall distortion tones for the lead parts that were unreal to hear on the live stage.

To be sure, there is a lot of experimentation to be done with this amp! It's no simple matter getting the tones you want. There is so much diversity that it's not easy to find "the best" tone for your music instantly. I have played around 15 shows with it and am still learning new tricks and tones. You can't gauge its depth at home, only the gig will really tell you what's what. At least that has been my experience. I try to dial in some approximate tones at home, then I tinker with them at the gig in the setting of the band mix. I did that agan last night to find the new lead tone I used. It doesn't sound that great by itself at home, but it sounded just perfect in the context of the band mix. I never experienced anything even close to that level of satisfaction with the SV series, either Mki or Mkii.

I also owned the HD500/DT25 combo and sold that upon buying the JMD501 and comparing them side to side. I did make one mod to the JMD501, which was to replace the **bleep** stock speaker with an Eminence Texas Heat. I also have a Cannabis Rex which I haven't even tried yet because I'm enjoying the Texas Heat in this amp so much. I mic it with an SM57 about halfway between the center and edge and it sounds fantastic through the PA. YMMV.

Archived