VOX AD50VT 212

stewiesguitar

• Members

im looking for an amp. and too be honest not a big one. just something to learn on ad pay around at my house.

but on another forum i go on, some gave me an offer and i think its a pretty good offer.

he said that he would sell me a VOX AD50VT 212 for 275 plus shipping.

the problem is, that i dont know anythin about that amp. so tell me what you think. please

• Members

The AD50 is a bit more versatile because I know you can play out with it. Not sure about those others. Sooner or later you'll want to, and when you do, that amp will handle it.

well i new to playing. and im just learning. really looking for something that sounds good and that i can kick around in my room.

and if i do ever play out. (i already klnow the band that i would if the would let me) :) they use a PA system.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

OK FOLKS... when you google this VOX AD50VT 212 ... this is the blog that comes up... so I would give some NICE PRODUCTIVE ADVICE About this amp....

For Starters, I will say I'm and Older Fender Tone and Reverb kinda Freak, and I now LOVE this amp... But Im kinda a Gear Tinker'er... I did several Mods to this amp that are Very Easy...  But when I bought this off Craigslist about 2 years ago, I took this to band practice instead of my Fender Halfstack (cuz this amp is very manageable and light).. Attempting to use the onboard effects and distortion... It was miserable trying to get a good distortion that would cut through. kinda just muddy and the presents wasn't good and clear.. I tryed pretty hard to like it... but OMG It was VERY disappointing... to the point of almost selling this BA JEM...

when I picked it up off craigslist, the man said his kids blew the speakers a while ago and he recently replaced them with Celestions.. when he read the back of the amp it said External Speaker 8ohms 52watts,, so he bought 2 x 8 ohm G12F-60's which when wired stock it ran the amp at 4 ohms.. 

I also cut a 8x14" Port in the back, Thought opening the back would make a difference (and this is when i discovered the 8ohm speakers were not 16ohm speakers). That being said i decided it has not blown up yet so whatever. OMG was I right about opening the Back of this amp..  because I had already given up on trying to use the distortion on this amp.. It sucks (might be ok for the Marshall lovers).. But PEDALS... omg this amp comes alive,, seriously a VERY GOOD FENDER Tweed Blackface Model with decent digital REVERB.. Tremolo is a bit Fake..  I do think the Marshall Models are good too.. I just like the fender tones myself.. I wasnt happy with the AC Models, but then again I'v never been a fan of VOX tube amps.. LOL funny I bought one on a whim..only because i bought it cheaper than the price of the two new speakers that were in it..

If you are asking if you should buy this amp... $200 at most if it still has original speakers in it...

Be very carefull carrying this amp,, The Handle's break on EVERY one eventually,, the Metal LOOP thing snaps right off...

I'v ran this amp alot at 4 ohms turned almost all the way up with NO Problems.. and recently swaped the speakers to Celestion G12S-50's 16ohms run parallel for its original 8 ohm load...  but yet have to try at a gig sorry..

I'v also set this amp on a 16 ohm 4x12 using the external speaker jack (Because I originally hated the sound of this amp b4 I opened the back).. Also very impressive and Clean. with No Problems at several Gigs when i needed a big sound....

suggestions:

01 -take the back off and see if its better... Not sure if Original Speakers will sound better being open.. But if you like it.. cut a Nice size hole in the back....

02 - replace speakers with almost anything higher quality.. It will Mismatch either way without a problem. 16 or 4 ohm load is ok

03 - The Handle WILL Break.. Be Careful.

04 - Pick a Model that you like, and Use PEDALS.. This Amp LOVES pedals straight in the front, onboard effects not to great, Plus the footswitch setup sucks with the effects... But in a studio, these might be usable.. one take at a time..

05 - Tip the amp back at an angle ..

Archived