Update on my used Bugera 333XL flame thrower edition

jhall

• Members

Now it is working perfectly after  getting rid of the burnt molex connector. 

So I tried to get the blexi sound with it by running my Box of Rock in front of it on the clean channel.

OH BABY does it ever cop that Marshall sound this way!!!  You can either get that edge of breakup sound to that fat slightly bass flabby brown sound in spades this way!!

Then on to the OCD in front and it'll give you that late '70s through '80s sound.

The amps own crunch and lead channels go through the rest of the modern up to searing face me,ting metal tones!!

And then there's STILL that really really nice clean channel.

I was also gobsmacked by how good the Danelectro Black Metal pedal sounded in front of the clean channel too.  The cool thing is all these pedals are true bypass so they can all be in tandem in front of the amp.

I did try my G-3 in the loop for time based stuff but I wasn't too impressed with that.

So ...  so far it seems to be a really good amp.  As an aside the pots look flimsy as hell in this thing but they look easy to replace if you should break them.

Actually after having had 4 or so other Bugera amps and poking around inside of them I can't see where the

criticisms are from as they are really easy to work on and removal of the individual circut boards are stupid easy.

• Members

jhall wrote:

So I tried to get the blexi sound with it by running my Box of Rock in front of it on the clean channel.

OH BABY does it ever cop that Marshall sound this way!!!  You can either get that edge of breakup sound to that fat slightly bass flabby brown sound in spades this way!!

Then on to the OCD in front and it'll give you that late '70s through '80s sound.

The amps own crunch and lead channels go through the rest of the modern up to searing face me,ting metal tones!!

I did try my G-3 in the loop for time based stuff but I wasn't too impressed with that.

So ...  so far it seems to be a really good amp.  As an aside the pots look flimsy as hell in this thing but they look easy to replace if you should break them.

Actually after having had 4 or so other Bugera amps and poking around inside of them I can't see where the

criticisms are from as they are really easy to work on and removal of the individual circut boards are stupid easy.

Do you realize your E-cred just died because you said something positive about a Bugera?  Only Ola managed that!  :robotlol:

As the owner of a 333XL 212 (got to compared to my XXX212), the Bugera sounds amazingly great for the $.  Okay, it has EL 34s in it, which I'm not partial to, but that is the only complaint about the amp.  It hasn't failed me once. 

The amp is @ my GF's place so it gets approx 5 - 8 hours a week on it and isn't moved too much so I can't say it is as durable as the XXX (which got a lot of use/movement in its time with me when it was my primary).  In these past 2 years now though, they've both been rehearsal/jam room ornaments with 5-8 hours  a week on them, and nary a complaint beyond the EL34.

Derek

• Members

Viesczy wrote:

jhall wrote:

Do you realize your E-cred just died because you said something positive about a Bugera?  Only Ola managed that!  :robotlol:

As the owner of a 333XL 212 (got to compared to my XXX212), the Bugera sounds amazingly great for the $.  Okay, it has EL 34s in it, which I'm not partial to, but that is the only complaint about the amp.  It hasn't failed me once. 

The amp is @ my GF's place so it gets approx 5 - 8 hours a week on it and isn't moved too much so I can't say it is as durable as the XXX (which got a lot of use/movement in its time with me when it was my primary).  In these past 2 years now though, they've both been rehearsal/jam room ornaments with 5-8 hours  a week on them, and nary a complaint beyond the EL34.

Derek

My E-cred is shot anyways so I have nothing to lose.  I'd be willing to bet this amp will crap out as it IS a Bugera ha ha.  I've got a quad of 6L6s around.     So you prefer them?

• Members

I used to own one of these and I think you're nuts if you think you can get plexi like tones out of the clean channel.

Not saying its a bad amp, it does great modern tones but a plexi it is not.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

• Members

K-Bizzle wrote:

I used to own one of these and I think you're nuts if you think you can get plexi like tones out of the clean channel.

Not saying its a bad amp, it does great modern tones but a plexi it is not.          

That is with a Box of Rock in front of it.  The clean channel doesn't  crunch at all alone.

With the OCD it sounds more like one of those 1970s master volume amps.             

Archived