Randall RG-100 ES

Guitarted

• Members

Hey,

I just picked one of these up for $159 at Daddy's Junkie. It looks kind of funny stitting on top of my Engls, Ultra-Lead and Boogies, but it sounds decent.

Anyone else out there got one? How do you guys run these things for a heavy (Pantera, Crowbar) tone? What settings and/or distortion/EQ pedals?

Thanks.

Dana

• Members

I had a rack-mount RG100HT long ago--great tone!! Yo, if you're gonna do the 'Pantera' thing, run a MXR Graphic EQ box thru the loop, position the slider in a 'V' configuration (emphasizing the lows and hi's) and TA-DA!!! Stand back and play!!!:D

• Members

crowbar used a metalzone in front of the randall, i know it sounds stupid, but works amazingly well, you have to boost the hell out of the mids on the pedal, usually half or a little lower on the mid sweep knob, wit the mid level full up. dist a little over half. i'm currently using a boss overdrive pushing the randall gain, and love it. the eq on the amp has always been enough for me to get alot of sounds.http://inmytrunk.net/music/All%20Out%20of%20Fingers.mp3

this clip was recorded with the overdrive/randall 70-75%, and the metalzone+randall 25-30%

• Members

Originally posted by mchn13

crowbar used a metalzone in front of the randall, i know it sounds stupid, but works amazingly well, you have to boost the hell out of the mids on the pedal, usually half or a little lower on the mid sweep knob, wit the mid level full up. dist a little over half. i'm currently using a boss overdrive pushing the randall gain, and love it. the eq on the amp has always been enough for me to get alot of sounds.

this clip was recorded with the overdrive/randall 70-75%, and the metalzone+randall 25-30%

Yeah, Kirk uses an RG-100 ES with nothing but a Metal Zone. Here are some posts Krik (he is Wizzo on the board) answered on the Crowbar Board:

Kirk on RG-100 ES settings:

http://www.crowbarmusic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=143&highlight=randall

Kirk on Metal Zone:

http://www.crowbarmusic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69&highlight=randall

http://www.crowbarmusic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=241&highlight=mt2

• Members

i tried all 3 this evening at practice. the metalzone worked well as an overdrive with this amp, i used kirk's settings, as he stated....heavy as dirt. i still liked the sd-1 better, sounded more natural. also i like to use more mids, his are at 4, i liked it better at 6. the only setting i'm still fickle about is the presence, i usually run it about 2 or 3, it can get way too much sizzle. now i need to get a new noise gate......steve

• Members

Originally posted by hardrockguitar

You can pull out on one of the knobs to increase the distortion bigtime. However, it lowers the overall volume and "punch" from the amp. I think it's the treble knob.

Great amp!

Chris

Yep, it's the treble knob. Do the rest of your guys that are running an OD in front of the amp pulling the treble knob too?

• Members

Originally posted by Guitarted

Yep, it's the treble knob. Do the rest of your guys that are running an OD in front of the amp pulling the treble knob too?

Well, the C200II is different. It has a separete switch, labeled sustain boost, but it sounds like what you guys are describing.

If you pull out the treble knob, it goes to the clean channel :p

But yes, that switch flipped, and an OD pedal...

• Members

Nah, I'd leave it in. Honestly, I strongly disliked using an OD pedal with my old Randall heads (RG100ht and RG80es). I preferred them with the treble knob in (lower gain mode) and no OD pedal. That wasn't really enough distortion for me, though, but it just sounded better to me this way. I wish it had a tiny wee bit more distortion in that mode.

I thought the higher gain mode (treble knob out) cut too much volume for use with my band. I'd have the master cranked with the treble knob out. It lost some punch too.

Chris

• Members

no, i leave it in, with it out it cuts the volume drastically.with the overdrive, i have more gain, and sustain than i will use

• Members

Originally posted by mchn13

no, i leave it in, with it out it cuts the volume drastically.with the overdrive, i have more gain, and sustain than i will use

It seems these amps don't have a lot of gain unless the treble switch is pulled out. But pulling it out certainly does cut the volume in 1/2.

• Members

It seems these amps don't have a lot of gain unless the treble switch is pulled out. But pulling it out certainly does cut the volume in 1/2.

I'd say they're right around a single channel JCM800 with the switch pushed in. Heck, they even have a similar tone. But yeah, that's around how much distortion they have in my opinion... Almost enough for me, but not quite (with the switch out).

Chris

• Members

I'd say they're right around a single channel JCM800 with the switch pushed in. Heck, they even have a similar tone. But yeah, that's around how much distortion they have in my opinion... Almost enough for me, but not quite (with the switch out).

Chris

My first amp was a single channel JCM 800. The RG-100 ES sounds like what I wanted my JCM 800 to sound like when the treble switch is pulled out. These things seem to have quite a bit more low end than I remember my JCM 800 having.

• Members

Chris

I know you said you didnt like an OD pedal with the Randall, but did you ever try an EQ? set flat?

I do that sometimes instead of an OD, depending on what mood im in.

• Members

yeah it sounds like dist. and clean mixed, pretty cool, lends itself to playing different {censored}. i wish i had the footswitch so i could actually use it. i'm gonna bid on the one on ebay. wish i had the schematics!

Archived