Randall RG-100 ES

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall RG-100 ES

Hey,

I just picked one of these up for $159 at Daddy's Junkie. It looks kind of funny stitting on top of my Engls, Ultra-Lead and Boogies, but it sounds decent.

Anyone else out there got one? How do you guys run these things for a heavy (Pantera, Crowbar) tone? What settings and/or distortion/EQ pedals?

Thanks.

Dana
    Merry Christmas! ****************ter was full!

I had a rack-mount RG100HT long ago--great tone!! Yo, if you're gonna do the 'Pantera' thing, run a MXR Graphic EQ box thru the loop, position the slider in a 'V' configuration (emphasizing the lows and hi's) and TA-DA!!! Stand back and play!!!
    "--Mister, if you don't shut up, I'm going to kick 100% of your ASS!!!"
    Judge Reinhold from 'Fast Times At Ridgemont High

GEAR:
    *Epiphone Elitist 57 Les Paul GoldTop
    *Fender LoneStar Strat
    *Jackson DK2M
    *Yamaha SA500B
    *Squier 'Steve Vai Green' Strat
    *Bugera 333XL Half-stack
    *Marshall VS65R
    *Peavey Vypyr15
    *Assorted Boss, Digitech & BBE Pedals

Director of Operations/Quality Control/Recruitment, MAZI BEE MILITIA !! West Coast Chapter and Bassist Division, TOO!!!

Comment

Actually, you shouldnt need anything in the loop. Just an EQ, or OD pedal or similar in front to boost up the gain.

My Century 200II is like instant Pantera, just needs a bit more gain...
      Mesa Triple Recto
      Marshall 2203 Clone
      Axe-FX/POD HD500

Comment

crowbar used a metalzone in front of the randall, i know it sounds stupid, but works amazingly well, you have to boost the hell out of the mids on the pedal, usually half or a little lower on the mid sweep knob, wit the mid level full up. dist a little over half. i'm currently using a boss overdrive pushing the randall gain, and love it. the eq on the amp has always been enough for me to get alot of sounds.http://inmytrunk.net/music/All%20Out%20of%20Fingers.mp3
        this clip was recorded with the overdrive/randall 70-75%, and the metalzone+randall 25-30%
        more fun than a staple gun and a sack of hampsters

carolina metal: myspace.com/diavolo803

GEAR: randall rg100 es's / maxon 808 / isp decimator / tu-2 tuner / ltd horizon 301 w/ emg 85's / sperzels / '88 charvel w/ duncan distortion in the bridge, ibanez 521 reverse w/ emg 85's/ tobacco sunburst les paul standard w/dimarzio evo

for sale :

Comment

Originally posted by mchn13
          crowbar used a metalzone in front of the randall, i know it sounds stupid, but works amazingly well, you have to boost the hell out of the mids on the pedal, usually half or a little lower on the mid sweep knob, wit the mid level full up. dist a little over half. i'm currently using a boss overdrive pushing the randall gain, and love it. the eq on the amp has always been enough for me to get alot of sounds.http://inmytrunk.net/music/All%20Out%20of%20Fingers.mp3
          this clip was recorded with the overdrive/randall 70-75%, and the metalzone+randall 25-30%

Yeah, Kirk uses an RG-100 ES with nothing but a Metal Zone. Here are some posts Krik (he is Wizzo on the board) answered on the Crowbar Board:

Kirk on RG-100 ES settings:

http://www.crowbarmusic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=143&highlight=randall

Kirk on Metal Zone:

http://www.crowbarmusic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69&highlight=randall

http://www.crowbarmusic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=241&highlight=mt2

Comment

thanks, i'll try them this evening, never thought of using the mt-2 as an overdrive.

GEAR: randall rg100 es's / maxon 808 / isp decimator / tu-2 tuner / ltd horizon 301 w/ emg 85's / sperzels / '88 charvel w/ duncan distortion in the bridge, ibanez 521 reverse w/ emg 85's/ tobacco sunburst les paul standard w/dimarzio evo

for sale :

Comment

I generally use an EQ pedal, or a SD-1.

Id like to hear a Sonic Maximiser, or Aphex Guitar Xciter with one..
              Mesa Triple Recto
              Marshall 2203 Clone
              Axe-FX/POD HD500

Comment

i tried all 3 this evening at practice. the metalzone worked well as an overdrive with this amp, i used kirk's settings, as he stated....heavy as dirt. i still liked the sd-1 better, sounded more natural. also i like to use more mids, his are at 4, i liked it better at 6. the only setting i'm still fickle about is the presence, i usually run it about 2 or 3, it can get way too much sizzle. now i need to get a new noise gate......steve

for sale :

Comment

I use more mids, and less treble than when I first got mine also

Less Pantera, more White Zombie
                  Mesa Triple Recto
                  Marshall 2203 Clone
                  Axe-FX/POD HD500

Comment

Shask! Where are you man! I sent you a PM and an email.

Comment

Been playing a lot

Comparing different things and such...
                      Mesa Triple Recto
                      Marshall 2203 Clone
                      Axe-FX/POD HD500

Comment

You can pull out on one of the knobs to increase the distortion bigtime. However, it lowers the overall volume and "punch" from the amp. I think it's the treble knob.

Great amp!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by hardrockguitar
                          You can pull out on one of the knobs to increase the distortion bigtime. However, it lowers the overall volume and "punch" from the amp. I think it's the treble knob.

Great amp!

Chris

Yep, it's the treble knob. Do the rest of your guys that are running an OD in front of the amp pulling the treble knob too?

Comment

Originally posted by Shask
                            Been playing a lot

Comparing different things and such...

Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarted

Yep, it's the treble knob. Do the rest of your guys that are running an OD in front of the amp pulling the treble knob too?

Well, the C200II is different. It has a separete switch, labeled sustain boost, but it sounds like what you guys are describing.

If you pull out the treble knob, it goes to the clean channel

But yes, that switch flipped, and an OD pedal...
                              Mesa Triple Recto
                              Marshall 2203 Clone
                              Axe-FX/POD HD500

Comment

Working...
                              X