Normal For 40 watt head to have not alot of clean headroom ?

Logieberra

• Members

got a used Traynor Ironhorse head and I find going through an old 1960a well used cab at my rehearsal space the headroom is gone after about 4 on the volume... its sounds good the overdrive I mean but is it normal for it to breakup so low on the volume ... its loud don't get me wrong but just over a quarter of the volume knob ?

seems to do it more with the older marshall cab then my fender 2x12 cab with cannabis rexes

• Members

Logieberra wrote:

its sounds good the overdrive I mean but is it normal for it to breakup so low on the volume ... its loud don't get me wrong but just over a quarter of the volume knob ?

seems to do it more with the older marshall cab then my fender 2x12 cab with cannabis rexes

If the 4x12 has greenbacks they're lower sensitivity speakers that don't have any particular peaks in the midrange or high end that would cut through a mix. Breakup up at a quarter on the volume knob isn't at all unusual with humbuckers. My AC30HW starts to get crunchy from about 10 o'clock, and it's got a very gradual taper on the gain knob. My old AC30CC would be breaking up from 9 o'clock onwards. My Tremoverb started to get edgy from 10 o'clock on the clean channel, and my AC100cph does the same from 9 o'clock. So nothing unusual there!

• Members

With the amp opened up, look and see if the fist 2 preamp tubes have a bypass cap on pins 1 and 6. If they are there you may want to unsolder them and see if that shuts down some of the gain. That may help and if it doesn't, then you can reconnect them. Take the leads off the tube and not from ground. If you remove the leads from ground you may lift the cathode resister aswell, as the cap and resister may be connected together at ground.The the tube will not have ground reference which will cause the tube to not work. It is usually the case with 40 watt amps to break up a little sooner than 100 watters. The 100's have more clean headroom, but then you have to use a pedal for dirt. I prefer 100 watters for the tone aswell.

Hope that helps.

Archived