Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic not quite metal enough

I've got an 80s Peavey classic 50 head with a 2-12 celestion v30 cab.  The dirty channel sounds good for classic rock but when I want to crank it up, I get a a loss of gain and an edge that kills the ear.  I've tried a route 808 tubescreamer but it gets too garbled up and out of control before 12 O clock.  I love the sound of the Tubemeister tone and gain but I'm not fortunate enough to afford one.  Is there a preamp or pedal to get this smooth controled tone or shoud I just try to sell and hope for the best?

Yeah, the Classic is really a rock amp. If you want metal your much better off going with a Triple XXX or a 5150/6505.

Also, did you try turning the gain down on the Tube screamer and the volume up?

Comment

• HKSblade2
      HKSblade2 commented
      Editing a comment

6505+

• audiosalvage64
      audiosalvage64 commented
      Editing a comment

I've tried it at lower pre gain settings but then it does not reach the sound I'm looking for.  I  get some perfect sounds from my mustang 1,  but I need the volume to play with my drummer.  Some may say I should just get the bigger mustang v, but I'd like to get my distortion from tubes and I question the reliability of digital amps.

It's a good amp, and the clean channel loves pedals.

If you can find the cash for a good distortion pedal, you should be able to do metal with no problem.

The new Mesa pedals look very promising, and if you add one of those, you'd have a very versatile rig that could last you a long time.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/pedals/throttlebox-pedal.html

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/pedals/throttlebox-pedal.html#gpm1_4

Comment

• ermghoti II
      ermghoti II commented
      Editing a comment

Yup, set the amp clean, like acoustic clean, get your drive from a distortion or preamp pedal.

I've had a couple Classic 50s (4x10 and 2x12 combos) and I had good success using a Visual Sound Jeckyl & Hyde into the clean channel for really heavy stuff. 

G&L USA Legacy (Lace Hot Golds)Gibson Les Paul Studio Tribute 60's (490R & 498T)Marshall Haze 40BBE Ben WahYamaha FG730S

Comment

Working...
    X