Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Peavey Classic not quite metal enough

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Classic not quite metal enough

I've got an 80s Peavey classic 50 head with a 2-12 celestion v30 cab.  The dirty channel sounds good for classic rock but when I want to crank it up, I get a a loss of gain and an edge that kills the ear.  I've tried a route 808 tubescreamer but it gets too garbled up and out of control before 12 O clock.  I love the sound of the Tubemeister tone and gain but I'm not fortunate enough to afford one.  Is there a preamp or pedal to get this smooth controled tone or shoud I just try to sell and hope for the best?

Yeah, the Classic is really a rock amp. If you want metal your much better off going with a Triple XXX or a 5150/6505.

Also, did you try turning the gain down on the Tube screamer and the volume up?

Comment

• HKSblade2
      HKSblade2 commented
      Editing a comment

6505+

• audiosalvage64
      audiosalvage64 commented
      Editing a comment

I've tried it at lower pre gain settings but then it does not reach the sound I'm looking for.  I  get some perfect sounds from my mustang 1,  but I need the volume to play with my drummer.  Some may say I should just get the bigger mustang v, but I'd like to get my distortion from tubes and I question the reliability of digital amps.

It's a good amp, and the clean channel loves pedals.

If you can find the cash for a good distortion pedal, you should be able to do metal with no problem.

The new Mesa pedals look very promising, and if you add one of those, you'd have a very versatile rig that could last you a long time.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/pedals/throttlebox-pedal.html

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/pedals/throttlebox-pedal.html#gpm1_4

Comment

• ermghoti II
      ermghoti II commented
      Editing a comment

Yup, set the amp clean, like acoustic clean, get your drive from a distortion or preamp pedal.

I've had a couple Classic 50s (4x10 and 2x12 combos) and I had good success using a Visual Sound Jeckyl & Hyde into the clean channel for really heavy stuff. 

<div class="signaturecontainer">G&amp;L USA Legacy (Lace Hot Golds)<br>Gibson Les Paul Studio Tribute 60's (490R &amp; 498T)<br>Marshall Haze 40<br>BBE Ben Wah<br>Yamaha FG730S</div>

Comment

Working...
    X