Pignose G40-v

boonestunes

• Members

Want

I had one a while back, great little LOUD amp. Now that my pedals are a little nicer, I think I could really get this to work for me.

Anybody got one?

They are cheap if you come by them. One thing I have heard about them is that the powersupplys aren't the best and end up burning down.

The preamp circuit is very similar to a jcm 800 which means you can go crazy on modding it :)

It'd love to get my hands on one just for that.

• Members

yeah, I looked up some mods last night. I think you can do some experimenting with tubes- 12AT7's instead of 12AX7..... one guy put 6V6's in to cut the wattage.... from the looks of it, it's a pretty easy mod platform.

Seems like the first thing to do is to cut a vent in the top behind the handle and put in a screen to let the heat dissipate. Maybe a fan on the tubes in the back. On my previous one, I installed a new baffle and a 12" speaker. Really cool to have that small of a package with a 12" speaker and 40 watts.

I thought I remembered reading that it was based on the original bassman circuit? I have a great old '62 bassman head that is my favorite amp ever, I just can't risk taking it out anywhere..... maybe this will satisfy my gas, my regret, and help me get a good little amp for my country gig.

• Members
yeah, I looked up some mods last night. I think you can do some experimenting with tubes- 12AT7's instead of 12AX7..... one guy put 6V6's in to cut the wattage.... from the looks of it, it's a pretty easy mod platform.

Seems like the first thing to do is to cut a vent in the top behind the handle and put in a screen to let the heat dissipate. Maybe a fan on the tubes in the back. On my previous one, I installed a new baffle and a 12" speaker. Really cool to have that small of a package with a 12" speaker and 40 watts.

I thought I remembered reading that it was based on the original bassman circuit? I have a great old '62 bassman head that is my favorite amp ever, I just can't risk taking it out anywhere..... maybe this will satisfy my gas, my regret, and help me get a good little amp for my country gig.

did you ever get my last E-mail message?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

In essence the G40V is a 59 Bassman but with the added master volume which in reality makes it an early Marshall JTM but with 6L6... I can dial mine to sound like it too... bloody brilliant little (loud) amp!

I had a 59 LTD and it had a niggling volume fault, so got the Pig to cover for when it went off for repair... BUT - I had them side by side for a while and you know what? The Pig is a better Bassman than the Fender!  SO - sold the 59 LTD - kept the Pig!

bassman stack.jpg

Edge11 wrote:

Want I had one a while back, great little LOUD amp. Now that my pedals are a little nicer, I think I could really get this to work for me. Anybody got one?

They are cheap if you come by them. One thing I have heard about them is that the powersupplys aren't the best and end up burning down. The preamp circuit is very similar to a jcm 800 which means you can go crazy on modding it
:)
It'd love to get my hands on one just for that.

extinguisher

Archived