Suggest a bright output valve/ tube for my purposes - has to balance out the speaker.

solitaire

• Members

Right, so I have a cab with Fane Medusa 150s and it seems to be wanting an output valve that is kind of bright, but not so middy, if that makes sense. For those of you who don't know this speaker it is scooped in the correct meaning of the word: the lows are roughly as loud as the mid peak.

The pre-amp is in line with a Fender Blackface Twin and for distortion I'll be running my Xotic AC Plus. The output section is more in line with an 80s Marshall that accepts pentodes and beam tetrodes and has switchable resonance.

Valves that have caught my eyes are:

Tube Amp Doctor 6L6WGCs - seems bright enough and biased hot I'm sure it compresses nicely though possibly too snappy (?) for my purposes. I'm to use this mainly as a rhythm amp and for power chords.

Gold Lion KT77s - I'm using their KT66s biased hot in my lead amp with great success, but their KT77 offering seems a bit grating from what I can tell, but could be wrong.

Tung Sol EL34Bs - Bright enough and biased on the hot side they could probably run smoother than demos I've heard. Not sure though how well the would fare in that amp as even at reasonable bias levels EL34s seem to wear sooner than I would have hoped. Probably the amp was designed primarily for Sovtek '5881's.

Ideas? I'm open to all suggestions, but my financial restraints keep my from buying all of these and/ or possibly others for a trial.

Cheers!

• Members

solitaire wrote:

Right, so I have a cab with Fane Medusa 150s and it seems to be wanting an output valve that is kind of bright, but not so middy, if that makes sense. For those of you who don't know this speaker it is scooped in the correct meaning of the word: the lows are roughly as loud as the mid peak.

The pre-amp is in line with a Fender Blackface Twin and for distortion I'll be running my Xotic AC Plus. The output section is more in line with an 80s Marshall that accepts pentodes and beam tetrodes and has switchable resonance.

Valves that have caught my eyes are:

Tube Amp Doctor 6L6WGCs - seems bright enough and biased hot I'm sure it compresses nicely though possibly too snappy (?) for my purposes. I'm to use this mainly as a rhythm amp and for power chords.

Gold Lion KT77s - I'm using their KT66s biased hot in my lead amp with great success, but their KT77 offering seems a bit grating from what I can tell, but could be wrong.

Tung Sol EL34Bs - Bright enough and biased on the hot side they could probably run smoother than demos I've heard. Not sure though how well the would fare in that amp as even at reasonable bias levels EL34s seem to wear sooner than I would have hoped. Probably the amp was designed primarily for Sovtek '5881's.

Ideas? I'm open to all suggestions, but my financial restraints keep my from buying all of these and/ or possibly others for a trial.

Cheers!

Hmm... Maybe also consider some E34L's or 6CA7's.

And I hate to admit it but have to say it does appear the amp forum is indeed dead. It may be worth reposting the question at rig-talk.com or one of the other forums linked in some recent threads. Good luck.

• Members

Thanx for posting! Well, I do have a set of 6CA7s and find them a bit too laid back and thus accenting the lows more while being quite gentle in the mids and highs. A touch on the 'hard' side in that they do not really compress much nor provide some bloom or thickness to the separate notes.

I do agree on this forum being pretty much inactive, though. I do have an account over at Gearslutz so I may just post there. TGP can kindly screw themselves, though.

• Members

The SED 6l6 tubes i have are fairly bright,the pre amp tube would voice brighter with a electro harmonix 12ax7 in the v1 position too.
The el34b are not bright but have the best midrange ive ever heard during breakup !
TAD has good strong tubes!

• Members

ijams wrote:

The SED 6l6 tubes i have are fairly bright,the pre amp tube would voice brighter with a electro harmonix 12ax7 in the v1 position too.

The el34b are not bright but have the best midrange ive ever heard during breakup !

TAD has good strong tubes!

Thanx! Yes, I think you're on the money there. For the purpose I'm getting most breakup from pedals.

In case I didn't say but that Sylvania reproduction mentioned in the above post is the Ruby GMSTR, which is more... well 'scooped' in lack of a better description. I'm looking into going with the Winged C Svetlana for my cleans eventually, so will try it out in this position as well. But something tells me The Sylvania style ones may be too extended for this operation.

Would have liked to try that S-logo Lanas out though, as they're said to be very smooth and neutral and therefore supposed to go well with British speakers. But my home being in Europe these seem to be scarce if not impossible to find at all due to that trademark dispute.

I think it's going to be 6L6s though, and not KTs after all. Although 6L6s don't seem to have the depth of character of KTs they are more velvet-y and eases up on potential crunch, which serves a good purpose here, I've found.

Archived