Health problems

ChuckSteak

• Members

I know there are a few here that have WAY worse and life threatening diseases, but I'm just wondering if anyone here has had pneumonia that eventually led to pleural effusion?

I was diagnosed with waking pneumonia October 18th. The dr gave me the zpack. After two weeks my symptoms grew worse, so the doc put me on levaquin. Again, two weeks and no improvement. Next up, amox for 10 days. With no improvement and low grade fevers since Nov 19th, two X-rays and a ct scan later, turns out I have a pleural effusion.

I'm still having low grade fevers off and on, but I actually feel really good and where I couldn't walk up the stairs in my house two weeks ago, it's now not a problem.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

UPDATE: After a flurry of tests, it turns out I have an autoimmune disease. Dermatomyositis. It affects the muscles, skin and lungs. It's treatable.

• Members

I've been there dude.

I've been hospitalized with a pulmonary embolism twice. I had pleural effusion with both episodes.
The pain is incredible, you can't lay down because it feels like you are being stabbed in the chest.

They found out years later that mine was caused by a protien C deficiency... caused my blood to clot randomly.
I have to take warfin now to control the clotting, but I haven't had any problems since...
Too bad it wasn't found out earlier tho.

I still suffer from shortness of breath and asthma from the damage to my lungs.

You gotta look after yourself dude. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
I've been there dude.

I've been hospitalized with a pulmonary embolism twice. I had pleural effusion with both episodes.
The pain is incredible, you can't lay down because it feels like you are being stabbed in the chest.

They found out years later that mine was caused by a protien C deficiency... caused my blood to clot randomly.
I have to take warfin now to control the clotting, but I haven't had any problems since...
Too bad it wasn't found out earlier tho.

I still suffer from shortness of breath and asthma from the damage to my lungs.

You gotta look after yourself dude. thumb.gif
Oh man, I'm so glad there is someone else out there on a forum I visit that has dealt with this. Seriously, thanks for responding, it puts my mind at ease. I have zero pain with the pleural effusion and had very light light pain with the pneumonia (1 on scale of 1-10). Just don't have full lung capacity right now. However, my lungs seem to be doing WAY better compared to two weeks ago. Two weeks ago I couldn't make it to the bathroom without feeling like I was going to black out (my bathroom is part of my bedroom). Now I can walk up both flights of stairs in my house without really having any breathing problems.

my CBC count is normal, however their is some blood and protein in my urine. I should hear back from the doc in the next couple of days about the blood cultures and urine cultures.

• Members

Props to you guys for winning pneumonia and PE battles. Pneumonia takes a lot of people. Pulmonary embolisms are conditions that I especially dislike because of their severity, difficulty to dx in the field, and lack of field interventions.

Urinalysis is out of my expertise. I know proteinuria can happen from simple dehydration and a number of benign causes. Not to mention you've run the gauntlet of a good list of broad spectrum antibiotics each with their own side effects. It sounds as though you're doing well and that's the important thing.

• Members

I got hurt in 05 and it took almost a year to get back surgery. I know have permanent nerve damage in my back and left leg that is so intense that I cannot barely even walk sometimes. They took a bunch of stuff out and tried the best they could but this is what I am left with That is the short version. And I take the very minimum of pain killers, Only Codeine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckSteak

View Post

Update: After a flurry of tests, it turns out I have an autoimmune disease. Dermatomyositis. It affects the muscles, skin and lungs. It's treatable.

So with treatment will you get some relief?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
I had the big P once in high school. it srsly sucked. no complications thankfully but DNW evar again. was the worst.
I was a sickly n00b back in the 3rd World, I've had those major illnesses already. While it sucked, I am VERY fortunate that I have never broke a bone in my body, although sciatica is a bitch. frown.gif

Great news Chuck! thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckSteak

View Post

Update: After a flurry of tests, it turns out I have an autoimmune disease. Dermatomyositis. It affects the muscles, skin and lungs. It's treatable.

Mojo dude, but I'm pretty sure with a higher post count, those symptoms will diminish if not go away altogether.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jds22 View Post
So with treatment will you get some relief?
I hope so. My rheumatologist says that it will take 3 to 6 months before my muscle strength returns. The inflamation in my joints and skin issues should go away pretty quickly. Basically with treatment, I should love a long healthy life (minus the side effects of the meds). The meds he's going to put me on is prednizone for a few months and methotextrate (very very light chemo therapy in pill form).

While I'm not too excited about the type of treatment, I am excited to not have a fever two to three times a day, I am excited to be able to use my hands again to play guitar, open water bottles and hold or pick up items. And in the near future I'm excited to have some muscle strength return. I'll be on the treatment my entire life unless the disease goes into remission.

There are some alternative methods, such as changing my diet (which I've already started) and more homeopathic therapies that I'll consider doing along side the drug therapy.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundgardener75 View Post
I was a sickly n00b back in the 3rd World, I've had those major illnesses already. While it sucked, I am VERY fortunate that I have never broke a bone in my body, although sciatica is a bitch. frown.gif

Great news Chuck! thumb.gif
Thanks broseph.

• Members

I had a plumbing disaster back in August of 2010 and was exposed to black mold. About a week later I came down with a viral throat infection that kicked my ass up, down and sideways. It was only on the right side of my throat, but felt like someone was constantly holding a Bernz-A-Matic torch to the back of my throat. I made a couple of trips to the doctor and one trip to the ER. It was easily the worst and most sick I have ever felt. If I could have, I would have given all my money to turn it into strep throat. Nothing would soothe it. Now, I am the kind of guy that won't even take cold medicine. But in the ER, I allowed them to give me morphine in the hopes I'd get some relief. It did nothing. I missed a week of work and when I went back, I was still far from cured(I wasn't contagious). It took about 2 months to feel kind of normal. Then a few more to feel strong and able again. I still, to this day, occasionally feel residual effects.

The worst part was the Crycko-Pharyngeal throat spasm I got for months afterwards. Imagine trying to take a sip of something and having it come spraying out of your mouth because your throat is all of the sudden epileptic. I thought I was going to choke to death a couple of times because of the spasms. Scared the {censored} out of me.

To this day, I feel like that illness changed my body and immune system. I'm healthy as a Ox now, but always feel just a bit off. Although, it did get me to quit smoking.

I hope you make it through ok man. Mojo.

• Members

That sucks man. Hope you're feeling better for Christmas!

Looks like others in this thread have some conditions I would hate to have. I have to live with Duhring's disease and central serous retinopathy both treatable but just a pain in the ass. I've learned to live with it and just got used to it over time.

Educate your self about your condition so you'll understand what to expect and how to conquer it. The better off you'll be.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

i have never expiriance about this deases but hear alot about this. diet is a great way to boost antioxidants and vitamins which increase immune system function and help to prevent pneumonia. Try to eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as possible, particularly dark, leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale and broccol.

Archived