Yamaha Mystery Amp

richardmac

• Members

When I was in college in the early 80's, I used my friend's guitar amp made by Yamaha and I would KILL to find it and buy it again. But I can't find any mention of it online and I can't remember the model number. But I can remember some details - it was a solid state 50 watt amp with a single 12 inch speaker, and it was brown, and it was sold sometime around 1984 or 85. And one of the knobs pulled out, I think for extra gain.

I've googled the hell out of it but only come across the G100, which is black. This one was brown and it sounded freaking awesome. Can anyone point me in the right direction for trying to figure out what the heck it was?

• Members

I think the JX50 and JX55 were the same amp but the JX55 had a compressor and a parametric eq. The knobs are different, too. I'd probably be happy with either one. I'd probably be happy with the JX35. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on it.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Follow-up... I didn't buy the thing! Actually I bought a Fender Mustang II and I'm pretty happy with it. I also bought AmpliTube 3 which is great for recording purposes. So now I'm trying to get AmpliTube to give me that old 80's rock distortion like my beloved JX55. Old habits die hard.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

It's hard to beat their clean tone.  I have a 1969 Fender Bandmaster Reverb and I like the Yamaha JX55 clean tone better.  It's amazing that a solid state amp can sound so good.  There are a few Vox amps that pull it off too, but the JX55 still sounds better in my opinion.

Archived