question about a fret that's not seated right

Santuzzo

• Members

Hi,

I just noticed on my new guitar there is a fret buzz on the 7th string when fretted on the 1st fret, so I took a look at the 2nd fret and saw it's not seated into the wood all the way, from the end of the fretboard I can actually see a tiny crack.

Is this something that can be fixed easily by hammering the fret? or will the fret keep popping out over time even if it's hammered back in?

EDIT:
here's some pics:

img0289pe.jpg
img0288lv.jpg
img0287oh.jpg

Thanks,
Lars

• Members

As pepi said you can probably try using a soft headed hammer (urethane/plastic) whatever you may have on hand, and just tape up the wood around the fret, brace the neck somewhat steadily and try to tap it in lightly. Just don't be too forceful you don't want to crack the wood, you might be able to set it in there semi-temporarily. I can't see the crack you speak of but most likely its a result of some sort of stress to the wood, may have been when they installed the fret or maybe the guitar could have slipped and smacked the fret on a table end or something. You could probably try using some sort of superglue if you feel mechanically inclined, I've read in a Stewmac article a good amount of luthiers use super glue to "unlock tone". idn_smilie.gif you'll most likely want to invest in a "pipette" to be more precise though. Is this a new or old guitar? Any warranty?

• Members

As pepi said you can probably try using a soft headed hammer (urethane/plastic) whatever you may have on hand, and just tape up the wood around the fret, brace the neck somewhat steadily and try to tap it in lightly. Just don't be too forceful you don't want to crack the wood, you might be able to set it in there semi-temporarily. I can't see the crack you speak of but most likely its a result of some sort of stress to the wood, may have been when they installed the fret or maybe the guitar could have slipped and smacked the fret on a table end or something. You could probably try using some sort of superglue if you feel mechanically inclined, I've read in a Stewmac article a good amount of luthiers use super glue to "unlock tone". idn_smilie.gif you'll most likely want to invest in a "pipette" to be more precise though. Is this a new or old guitar? Any warranty?

• Members

Thanks.
Yes it's a new guitar, but I was planning to bring the guitar to a tech next week for a pick-up swap anyway, so I will let him repair this for me.
If this is an easy fix, it's not worth sending the guitar back to the dealer/distributor, etc.

But once the fret is tapped back into place, will it stay there? or are chances that it will keep coming back out over time?

• Members

Thanks.
Yes it's a new guitar, but I was planning to bring the guitar to a tech next week for a pick-up swap anyway, so I will let him repair this for me.
If this is an easy fix, it's not worth sending the guitar back to the dealer/distributor, etc.

But once the fret is tapped back into place, will it stay there? or are chances that it will keep coming back out over time?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Santuzzo View Post
Thanks.

Like cougar said, there's no way to tell. If it's a good tech he should be able to do something to get you a semi permanent solution. Like I said there's plenty of stewmac articles covering the benefits of super-glue-ing stock frets. I've never had to glue frets, but I've had issues with snapping a nut and then not having the custom bone nut stay in place. I'm sure if he's a tech who's been around the block for a few years he should know what he's doing and be able to suggest something more competently than I could. thumb.gificon_lol.gif

Good luck bud...keep us posted.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

just a quick Update:

I just got my guitar back from the tech.

The fret is repaired, he filled the tiny gap with superglue so the fret will stay put and then leveled the fret, so there is not buzzing.

So, all is good now! :)

Also: the guitar sounds great with the new PUs!!!

Archived