I just discovered a historical artifact today.

Crunchtime

• Members

I was at my step-son's house today helping him do some insulation work. The house was built in 1921 and sits on a stone wall foundation that is about 3 feet tall or so. We were crawling under the house in the dirt and somehow I found an old thimble. Around the base of the thimble were the words- Sanitary Laundry Phone 5.

I just did a bit on research and found an ad in the local paper business by that name on Nov 2, 1915. The address of the business is two blocks from the house I was working on. The ad listed their phone number as 5! Pretty cool imo. I'm going to run by the county museum and show it to them and see if I can learn more about it.

CSB!

• Members

I once remodeled a house where they used newspaper for insulation that was from the very early 1900's, there were even ads for stuff we use today but they were called something slightly different.

The addition was also being supported by a large rock and a blue slipper, they dont build them like they used to thank god.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by theAntihero View Post
I once remodeled a house where they used newspaper for insulation that was from the very early 1900's, there were even ads for stuff we use today but they were called something slightly different.

The addition was also being supported by a large rock and a blue slipper, they dont build them like they used to thank god.
I think there were some old newspapers in the walls in my house too.

I also bought a copy of George Orwell's 1984 that had a full-page story from 1984 about how close things were technologically to what Orwell had predicted.

• Members

My eight year old son was on his bike and wiped out. We live on a dirt road. He picked up this rock that to me looked like a flat triangular shaped stone. It was not sharp and way too dull and large to be a tip of some point. I said it was just a natural stone.
A colleague of my wife is an archeologist who is called on whenever there is a find of Native American and paleo-American artifacts here on Long Island.
She studied the rock and determined that it was a pottery shaping stone and showed where the satining had occoured on the stone over many years of use. The stone was between 1 and 3,000 years old!! My son was givin a state form for ancient American artifacts that he was required to fill out but was able to keep the tool if he wanted. We still have it but he's considering donating it to the local
Native American museum. How cool is that?

• Members

When I was a kid in L.A., our neighbor did some digging and found a large carved stone bust of man wearing a feathered headdress. The local Chumash and other Natives in the Los Angeles area didn't do carving like the one my neighbor found. Even though the Chumash and other Native tribes in the area were of Uto-Aztecan-Shoshonian ethnicity, it is most likely an Indian from Mexico with very novice skills (compared to his folks back home) gave it a try most likely to impress his Southern California cousins over 500 years ago.
If any of you folks find any Native artifacts, mark the depth of the hole where the artifact or better yet call a local authority, so they could estimate the age by the depth of the find.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jhall View Post
My eight year old son was on his bike and wiped out. We live on a dirt road. He picked up this rock that to me looked like a flat triangular shaped stone. It was not sharp and way too dull and large to be a tip of some point. I said it was just a natural stone.
A colleague of my wife is an archeologist who is called on whenever there is a find of Native American and paleo-American artifacts here on Long Island.
She studied the rock and determined that it was a pottery shaping stone and showed where the satining had occoured on the stone over many years of use. The stone was between 1 and 3,000 years old!! My son was givin a state form for ancient American artifacts that he was required to fill out but was able to keep the tool if he wanted. We still have it but he's considering donating it to the local
Native American museum. How cool is that?

What Tribe used to live over on Long Island ? Probably an Algonquin ethnic people.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Was it made of obsidian or flint. I bet, an expert can tell you if it's recent or old.The Taino Indian's ( an Arawak ethnic people) used to inhabit Puerto Rico before European's with African slaves arrived there.

Remember, before the North or South America was invaded, the islands of the Caribbean was the first foot hold of the invasion of the America's. One war leader in the region was named Tahueyee, he led a resistance on that island for 30 years until, like in the case of all Native resistance, disease ravaged his Nation. Later, he fled to Cuba to join his ethnic cousins in their fight for freedom after most of his people were wiped out by the Spanish in the 1493-1513 time period.

• Members

almightycrunch wrote:

My mom and dad were walking on the beach in San Juan Puerto Rico a few years ago, and my dad stumbled onto a really cool arrowhead. He gave it to my daughter, and it is up on her dresser with a narrative from my dad. It has never been looked at by any experts to tell us anything at all about it.

Was it made of obsidian or flint ?

I bet, an expert can tell you if it's recent or old.The Taino Indian's ( an Arawak ethnic people) used to inhabit Puerto Rico before European's with African slaves arrived there.

Remember, before the North or South America was invaded, the islands of the Caribbean was the first foot hold of the invasion of the America's. One war leader in the region was named Tahueyee, he led a resistance on that island for 20 years until, like in the case of all Native resistance, disease ravaged his Nation. Later, he fled to Cuba to join his ethnic cousins in their fight for freedom after most of his people were wiped out by the Spanish in the 1493-1513 time period.

Archived