Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just discovered a historical artifact today.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by jhall
    View Post

My eight year old son was on his bike and wiped out. We live on a dirt road. He picked up this rock that to me looked like a flat triangular shaped stone. It was not sharp and way too dull and large to be a tip of some point. I said it was just a natural stone.

A colleague of my wife is an archeologist who is called on whenever there is a find of Native American and paleo-American artifacts here on Long Island.

She studied the rock and determined that it was a pottery shaping stone and showed where the satining had occoured on the stone over many years of use. The stone was between 1 and 3,000 years old!! My son was givin a state form for ancient American artifacts that he was required to fill out but was able to keep the tool if he wanted. We still have it but he's considering donating it to the local

Native American museum. How cool is that?

What Tribe used to live over on Long Island ? Probably an Algonquin ethnic people.
    Guns don't kill people .... Fathers with beautiful Daughters do !!!!

Comment

You sure it's not a Sanitary Laundry iPhone 5
      MFPOMFS

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪ ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪

Comment

I found an old Civil war uniform in a wall when I was running a snake pulling wiring thru . Was all moldy and filthy.

Comment

My mom and dad were walking on the beach in San Juan Puerto Rico a few years ago, and my dad stumbled onto a really cool arrowhead. He gave it to my daughter, and it is up on her dresser with a narrative from my dad. It has never been looked at by any experts to tell us anything at all about it.
          Fiddles: Gibson Les Paul Classic
          Warmoth homebuilt Strat
          Xaviere XV-550

Amps: Splawn Quick Rod and matching 2x12
          Laney VC-30112

good dealings with/trade references: MRAAJR, SMASHINGTIME, STRATOSLACKER, MASTERBURRFOOT, BLUPLIRST

Comment

• AJ6stringsting
            AJ6stringsting commented
            Editing a comment
            Was it made of obsidian or flint. I bet, an expert can tell you if it's recent or old.The Taino Indian's ( an Arawak ethnic people) used to inhabit Puerto Rico before European's with African slaves arrived there.
            Remember, before the North or South America was invaded, the islands of the Caribbean was the first foot hold of the invasion of the America's. One war leader in the region was named Tahueyee, he led a resistance on that island for 30 years until, like in the case of all Native resistance, disease ravaged his Nation. Later, he fled to Cuba to join his ethnic cousins in their fight for freedom after most of his people were wiped out by the Spanish in the 1493-1513 time period.

• AJ6stringsting
            AJ6stringsting commented
            Editing a comment

almightycrunch wrote:
            My mom and dad were walking on the beach in San Juan Puerto Rico a few years ago, and my dad stumbled onto a really cool arrowhead. He gave it to my daughter, and it is up on her dresser with a narrative from my dad. It has never been looked at by any experts to tell us anything at all about it.

Was it made of obsidian or flint ?

I bet, an expert can tell you if it's recent or old.The Taino Indian's ( an Arawak ethnic people) used to inhabit Puerto Rico before European's with African slaves arrived there.
            Remember, before the North or South America was invaded, the islands of the Caribbean was the first foot hold of the invasion of the America's. One war leader in the region was named Tahueyee, he led a resistance on that island for 20 years until, like in the case of all Native resistance, disease ravaged his Nation. Later, he fled to Cuba to join his ethnic cousins in their fight for freedom after most of his people were wiped out by the Spanish in the 1493-1513 time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddass
          View Post

I found an old Civil war uniform in a wall when I was running a snake pulling wiring thru . Was all moldy and filthy.

Probably like that when he took it off and put it in the wall.

Comment

Working...
          X