Garnet amp question

Mark Palm

• Members

I recently aquired a 1967 Garnet Pro Head. It sounds great, but it seems a little quieter than I would have expected. It's rated at 60 watts. When I have it cranked to 10 it's pretty loud, but not nearly as loud as other 50-60 watt heads that I own like Ampeg V4, Ampeg V3, Peavey VTM, etc. Anyone else have experience with the Garnet Pro's? Like I said, it's a killer sounding amp, I'm just wondering if it's running as it should be. Thanks.

Mark

• Members

I recently aquired a 1967 Garnet Pro Head. It sounds great, but it seems a little quieter than I would have expected. It's rated at 60 watts. When I have it cranked to 10 it's pretty loud, but not nearly as loud as other 50-60 watt heads that I own like Ampeg V4, Ampeg V3, Peavey VTM, etc. Anyone else have experience with the Garnet Pro's? Like I said, it's a killer sounding amp, I'm just wondering if it's running as it should be. Thanks.

Mark

It probably is running just fine. I had a Garnet Rebel (next smaller model after the Pro) back in the day and they just aren't loud firebreathing amps.

If the tone is fine the amp is probably fine. You might want to put in some fresh power tubes if you haven't already.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I hope you realized that the Master Volume pot likely has a Pull switch on it. If you pull out the MV control you'll get a whole lot more gain! All Garnets with master volumes have this feature but I've never seen it marked on the control face plate.

• Members

Just a thought. I new Gar quite well, and he would not sit still for any amp of his that didn't perform. If that thang isn't louder than your mother-in-law, then there has to be an explanation. What is the speaker inpedance you are running the amp into? I know Gar used 4 ohm output trannys quite alot. If you are running the amp into a 16 ohm cab, then the amp will be looking at 4x the impedance if the o/p tranny is at 4 ohms. That can be an issue. Another thought, how effecient are the speakers? If they are at 87 db as opposed to 101db, that can make alot of difference. For every 6db in speaker effeciency, there is double the loudness of the sound level. That means if the speakers are at 87db, and you compare that to speakers that are 101db effecient, then the amp will sound 4x as load, or 4 times quieter, depemding on which way you compare them.

Hope that helps you!!!

Archived