Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall vs. Fender vs. Vox

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Ford Mustangs vs. Steak vs. Beer


    Well **************** if I had to choose Ill take beer.

    Comment


    • #17
      Oh come on! I personally think it is the greatest amplifier ever made, and it's usable throughout it's range, but there are sounds that other amplifiers get that I cannot. I cannot get a 5150 tone, nor a JVM tone, nor a Fender type clean. Do I want those? No, I dig the Vox sound and it's one i'm completely happy with. As much as I love it, I can garauntee that it isn't going to be the amplifier for the OP as he's wanting to cover too much ground.


      You have missed the point. I never said it did every sound on the face of the planet. In fact, I specifically stated what you just did beforehand, so I'm not sure why you bothered going in to all of that.

      You said "However, they are not the most versatile things out there." If it can't sound like a 5150, that doesn't automatically make the 5150 more versatile. I don't even see what your argument is. Amps ALWAYS sound like the amp. No amp sounds like itself, and another amp, too. That doesn't make sense.

      What it will do is the widest range of effective sounds I've heard in an amp. Name a more versatile amp. I couldn't.

      Comment


      • #18
        You have missed the point. I never said it did every sound on the face of the planet. In fact, I specifically stated what you just did beforehand, so I'm not sure why you bothered going in to all of that.

        You said "However, they are not the most versatile things out there." If it can't sound like a 5150, that doesn't automatically make the 5150 more versatile. I don't even see what your argument is. Amps ALWAYS sound like the amp. No amp sounds like itself, and another amp, too. That doesn't make sense.

        What it will do is the widest range of effective sounds I've heard in an amp. Name a more versatile amp. I couldn't.


        Please stop using the strawman tactic and making my argument something it isn't. Nowhere do I indicate that a 5150 is more versatile than an AC30, I was simply pointing out a sound that it is incapable of getting. It isn't a do-it-all amplifier, that is my point. While i can cover a lot of styles of music, there are territory that it just cannot reach, and those are mainly really cholesterol fat cleans like a fender and super brutal gain like a 5150.

        The OP is wanting a broad range of tones that I personally think no amplifier is going to do everyone of them well, and the Vox definitely isn't going to cover the stuff in the gainier low-end broootalllz spectrum.

        and of course I agree with you on that ****************, which is why I don't know why you felt the need to dispute anything I stated. I think he'd be more capable of covering more ground with something like a JVM, or a digital modeler, though i'm not a fan of either solutions. I also don't expect all that **************** from a single amplifier, however, like the OP seems to want.

        and like I said, if your definition of versatile is simply an amplifier sounding good through its entire range of volume/eq/settings I'd have to say the same thing is true of Bassman's, JTM45's, and Super Reverbs,etc. Bassman's have excellent cleans, awesome break up when cranked and almost marshall overdrive when turned all the way up. To me, however, that's not the same thing as versatility. I couldn't just go into a bar and have someone suggest I play a Pantera song and get Dime's tone unless i was packing some sort of pedal.

        Just because an amplifier sounds good no matter where you set it, it doesn't mean you can get out there and play any style of music with a convincing tone associated with it.

        If that is, indeed, the point you're defending, I don't think you're going to find too many people who agree with you. If the OP wants to get all over the place he's going to need something other than a single channel deal. He's going to need something that was meant to do-it-all(and I agree, most of the time they sacrifice something). What we are mainly arguing on is the definition of versatility, and I'm not going to bother with that anymore. As a person working towards my Phd. in english rhetoric, i'm quite comfortable with my handle on that sort of stuff.
        Vox Brotherhood
        "Dirty 30" AC30 Crew

        Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
        Fender MIJ Mustang
        Yamaha SGV 800
        Yamaha SC300t
        Fender J. Mascis Jazzmaster
        Fender Jazz bass

        Orange Rocker 30
        Valvetech Hayseed 30
        EH Big Muff, Small Stone, Mini Q-tron, Bass balls

        Comment


        • #19
          Marshall in the third round by TKO.
          Originally Posted by isvoid


          I approve of this thread. Marshallmel ur a ****************ing legend.









          Originally Posted by Sheik_Yerbouti


          If that's your mom, I wanna do my one-stick rendition of "Moby Dick" on her fun bags.









          Originally Posted by Pepi


          This thread makes me want to suck a big fat cock









          Originally Posted by BerkleeBill


          Rick Santorum: a frothy mixture of ****************ing stupid and bat**************** crazy that is sometimes the byproduct of being a Republican.

          Comment


          • #20
            Best amp for what you want is a 70's Jmp marshall 50 watter, been using once since 1983. right set of speakers and it does amazing clean, hit it with a Ts and ya gott great od...or just crank it and use the volume knob for clean n crunch. used them to play from elvis ,U2 to sabbath

            Comment


            • Steve2112
              Steve2112 commented
              Editing a comment

              My quick answer is a Marshall. You do know how many recordings are made with one. They are truly a versatile, recognizable, and USABLE machine. My long answer is a Fender with some pedals. Well...because lots of reocrdings are made with that too. Now that I think about it...Vox has great amps as well. If you are looking fpr Britsh chime and Edge, Vox is the ticket.


              Hah....it's hard to tell you what amp will work for you . Your guitar, your ears...there are just too many factors. There are some things that some people do not consider; portability is a huge concern of mine. I will sacrifice tone if it means I do not lug a stereo 4x12 system around.

               

              It's really hard to dismiss a Marshall amp for tone that people recognize as authentic. Covers a LOT of ground. But you may have to go through some pain to find what suits YOU. I have utmost respect for guys that find THE tone that is PERFECT for what they are doing.


          • #21
            Neither. Get an Egnater module amp with each respective preamp module for those amps, and run it through a Greenback loaded 4x12 with a half open, half closed back.



            Can someone say "versatile"?
            Smooth deals with: duncan, the_bleeding, MrSandMan, 6StrngStrangler, mmmmmchina, gproud, Onehourlater, driverhasabomb, bluehuricane, melx, TheErosion, gschmittling, BrianPhase90, roaring20's, ibentmywookieFender Custom Shop '52 TelecasterGibson 2013 SG StandardFender Deville III 4x10Oh Henry! chocolate barsPedals n' stuffhttp://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com

            Comment


            • #22
              Neither. Get an Egnater module amp with each respective preamp module for those amps, and run it through a Greenback loaded 4x12 with a half open, half closed back.



              Can someone say "versatile"?


              See, now if I was in a cover band and needed to cover a lot of ground, this is the kind of stuff I am talking about. Would I do this in a band where I play original music? No, I'll stick to my Vox, and that's basically what it comes down to.

              If I were playing in a bar cover band and needed authentic tones to play just about everything someone could request, I'd have to go with something like that.

              If I were playing original music and all that mattered was I had a responsive amplifier that would get tons of in between tones and have excellent dynamics, I'd have to go with the Vox.
              Vox Brotherhood
              "Dirty 30" AC30 Crew

              Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster
              Fender MIJ Mustang
              Yamaha SGV 800
              Yamaha SC300t
              Fender J. Mascis Jazzmaster
              Fender Jazz bass

              Orange Rocker 30
              Valvetech Hayseed 30
              EH Big Muff, Small Stone, Mini Q-tron, Bass balls

              Comment


              • #23
                Well **************** if I had to choose Ill take beer.


                I figured the comparison was about equal to what the original poster was asking.

                I'd say fugg it and take all 3 because I'm a greedy bastard. Of course about a year ago I also had a Marshall, Fender(s), and an AC30 (with blues of course )

                Comment


                • #24

                  danuniversal wrote:
                  Marshall vs. Fender vs. Vox

                  Which?

                  I want a vintage sound, heavy metal sound, love song sound, all in one.

                  I want something that splits:
                  The beatles
                  Queen
                  Led Zeppelin
                  Deep Purple
                  Santo & Johnny

                  All in one.

                   

                  The beatles - used AC30s
                  Queen - used AC30s
                  Led Zeppelin - used AC30s
                  Deep Purple - used AC30s
                  Santo & Johnny - not a ****************ing clue.

                   

                  Ok, so the Beatles also used AC50s, 100s, and Fenders.

                  Brian May also used that little amp for little sounds

                  Page mainly used little fenders in the studio and Marshall stacks live

                  Deep Purple also used Marshalls live

                   

                  What works for you is something only you can decide. The amount of gain an amp has isn't as important as how it reacts to your playing and how your playing in turn is affected by what you hear coming out the amp.

                   

                  The only way to know for sure is to try some.

                   

                  But seriously, Fenders are ****************, Voxes are the best, and Marshalls are for generic bro rock. That's my answer.

                  Originally Posted by telephant


                  Tone is really half the argument. We both know ultimately it means nothing. Write a song. Write. A ****************ing. Song.



                  UK based band;
                  http://www.captainhorizon.co.uk

                  Comment


                  • akapuli
                    akapuli commented
                    Editing a comment

                    Your wattage may vary .png" alt=":smileytongue:" title="Smiley Tongue" />

                    If you're aming for low wattage, it worths to own an AC15, a PRRI and a Class 5.

                     


                  • Wyatt
                    Wyatt commented
                    Editing a comment

                    Cirrus wrote:

                    danuniversal wrote:
                    Marshall vs. Fender vs. Vox

                    Which?

                    I want a vintage sound, heavy metal sound, love song sound, all in one.

                    I want something that splits:
                    The beatles
                    Queen
                    Led Zeppelin
                    Deep Purple
                    Santo & Johnny

                    All in one.

                     

                    The beatles - used AC30s
                    Queen - used AC30s
                    Led Zeppelin - used AC30s
                    Deep Purple - used AC30s
                    Santo & Johnny - not a ****************ing clue.

                     


                    This is true.

                    But the Beatles recorded more tracks with a Bassman head than any other amp. Starting with Rubber Soul until pretty much the break-up they all shared McCartney's Blonde Bassman and it was used as a vast amjority of all tracks for the res tof their career (Lennon and Harrison would both eventually buy Bassmans of their own). So, if you want to sound like Love Me Do, definitely go Vox. If you want to sound like Lady Madonna, look into something more Bassman Head-/Marshall JMP-esque. It works for Deep Purple and Led Zep as well. But for Queen (or Tom Petty)...that really is Vox.


                • #25

                  Vox made supposedly the best of both worlds several years ago. AC50 & AC100 'classic' line. One channel was Vox sound & the other was Marshall voiced. Got great reviews but they dropped off the face of the earth(?) Would have loved to try one.

                  Anyone try these?

                   

                  Comment


                  • bdubbs
                    bdubbs commented
                    Editing a comment

                    I have two recomendations. 

                     

                    1. JVM (Maybe JS version) This will get you an awesome clean and multiple levels of crunch, etc. 

                     

                    2. Fender amp with pedals. Fender amp with pedals can do a LOT. 


                  • Cirrus
                    Cirrus commented
                    Editing a comment

                    GREC wrote:

                    Vox made supposedly the best of both worlds several years ago. AC50 & AC100 'classic' line. One channel was Vox sound & the other was Marshall voiced. Got great reviews but they dropped off the face of the earth(?) Would have loved to try one.

                    Anyone try these?

                     



                    Yep, I posted a review of mine here


                • #26
                  a) Marshall Vintage Modern or b) Vox AC50 CP (very underrated amp imho)

                  Both come in a head or 2X12 combo !!!

                  The outsider Orange Thunderverb 50 or Rockerverb 50.

                  I prefer the Thunderverb over the Rockerverb, fwiw.
                  ________________________________

                  Gibson SG Faded (w. SD A2P's)
                  60's Classic Series Tele (w. Bareknuckle Flatt '50s)
                  Ibanez Artcore AG75 (w. TV Jones TV-HT's)
                  Gibson LP Jr. Special (w. Phil X PX-100)
                  Tokai LS92 (w. SD WLH set)
                  Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
                  1966 Bassman / Thunderverb 50 / block letter 5150 / Marshall Class5



                  Good deals with : Pepperduck, TylerDurden24, iualum, hangwire, friction, Dr.Picklebottom, dmbluesguy, Mr JinX , dhouser3 & The Riffer.

                  Comment



                Working...
                X