1948 Pacific Music Supply Company amp - 6SJ7-6L6-5Y3-GT - like Magnatone M-199's

IrishMail

• Members

cabinet1.jpg

cabinet3.jpg

I'm hoping to reconstruct this 3-tube amplifier. The alligator tolex, flat leather handle, and white chicken head knobs give this slant-front cabinet a very nice vibe.

I'm thinking 1948 was the year for several reasons: the 5Y3-GT recifier is stamped 8-48; the alnico magnet on the field coil speaker is stamped 395842, and the 500k tone pot is stamped 134823.

It also has a Triad 6308 power transformer, hefty enough to heat the 6L6. I'm still drawing the schematic and parts layout.

A previous owner snipped nearly all of the Volume and Tone leads, so I appeal to the amp gurus and anyone with a Dickerson, Magnatone, or Valco amp WITH a "Tone" control and the same octal tubes, for advice and assistance.

• Members

i have an old bargain bin tv front from '52 - 5y3, but conventional 12ax7s, 6v6 push-pull and alnico speaker though - which made it a good platform to convert to a 5E3.

you might check schematic heaven & other sites of that ilk for a good circuit to use (if you havent already).

• Members

rear95.jpg

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/IrishMail/Pacific%20Music%20Supply%20M-100-3%20amplifier/rear95.jpg

Oops! Please excuse my ignorance - I shouldn't use words I heard someone say out on the schoolyard, without learning what they mean (wash my mouth with soap!). That's what I believed the spkr to be - so here's a couple addl photos.

The output transformer is on the speaker frame (NOT a field coil, as a friend suggested). The speaker cone is printed "W188-1", fwiw. "395" isn't on Weber's list of EIA manufacturers, either

circuit1.jpg

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/IrishMail/Pacific%20Music%20Supply%20M-100-3%20amplifier/circuit1.jpg

I know I'm wading into deeper water (to attempt to fix this), but it's just a cute box unless it works. Thanks!

• Members

The cabinet design and mounting, down to the cup washers, oval slot head screws, rear panel routing, and chassis slots, is very similar to this Magnatone M-199-3J photo (sorry, I forgot the site I d/l'd it from).

MagnatoneM-199-3Jx.jpg

• Members

The output transformer is on the speaker frame (NOT a field coil, as a friend suggested).

Oh, yeah, I've seen that configuration before, but had forgotten it.

I have a similar amp, pot codes date it to 1952. It's badged with "Loney Music - Canton, Ohio", but I think it's a Valco. It came with Ken-Rad metal-cased tubes.

• Members

I appreciate the generous cash offer, but no, I'd like to try to resurrect it. Here are my incomplete drawings, showing where the tone/vol components were snipped. Similar schematics include Dickerson, Silvertone 1301, and Aircastle 79A, but they're all 6V6 (not 6L6) with Vol but no Tone pot.

M-100-3LAYOUT.png

M-100-3SCHEMATIC.png

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I just found this exact amp in a customers crawlspace three weeks ago. I got it working for $125.00. Money well spent. if interested, I can post pictures. Mine is not nearly as nice looking, but sounds great.

I've been searching for info on it, and from what I can tell, Pacific Music Supply is only the distributor. The actual manufacturer was K&F Amplifiers. The date would be between 1945 and 1947. And the F in K&F is Leo Fender.

Archived