POD HD500 + What amp? Suggestions!

Snaplit

• Members

If I were to get the POD HD500, what amp would I get with it?

It's VERY important that it plays really well at low volumes, since I live in an apartment, and I prefer to listen to it through the amp speaker than through headphones or computer speakers.

The THR10 would in my opinion be a little redundant considering it's a modelling amp, and I am getting the POD, so what do you people think?

"VERY important that it plays really well at low volumes"
If I felt like playing at 2AM where everyone are asleep, I would like to be able to and still enjoy the sound coming out of the speakers.

Suggestions?

• Members

I use an AMT Tubecake 1.5 at night. It's 1.5 watts. Through a good speaker cab it CAN get louder than your neighbors would want, but it's a very slow, smooth taper on the master so you can play really, REALLY quietly if you want. It's my go-to for quiet playing without firing up the recording setup to use the monitors.

• Members

I'd get something neutral and probably FRFR so what shask said. Even the magnum 44 is coloured, so is the AMT with tube sim characteristics. The pod can turn off power amp sims.

I think the THR10 is unsuitable because even though it will sound great with the pod through the flat or aux in or what it has, it will sound miles better and make you sell the pod unless you are going for high brutal gain!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tech21man View Post
I'd get something neutral and probably FRFR so what shask said. Even the magnum 44 is coloured, so is the AMT with tube sim characteristics. The pod can turn off power amp sims.

I think the THR10 is unsuitable because even though it will sound great with the pod through the flat or aux in or what it has, it will sound miles better and make you sell the pod unless you are going for high brutal gain!
^ Truth ^

The THR10 doesn't do near as much as the POD but........what it does do it does a hell of a lot better.

The THR is one of the best amp modeler out there.

• Members

I think a 12" 800w speaker might be a little overkill when you live in an apartment, thanks anyway smile.gif

I actually don't have the pod yet,
The pod just seems more newb friendly than the THR10, for what reason would i get the pod and what would be good with it?

• Members

Used Velocity or Mosvalve.

This is the cheapest option and sounds great:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=310-308

I've seen some modeling users buying those Seismic cabs and direct mounting these amps in them as well.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=320-334

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=320-301

The amplifiers used in these boards are very common to what is used in powered monitors and many powered speaker driver components. For the larger amps, you would have to add a power supply (referenced with each board type).

I've seen GSP1101's rack mounted into Seismic Audio 2x12 (for stereo) cabs using Fane Soveriegn full range speakers and having these power amps mounted internally. They sound bad ass! It's like having a Zentera, Vetta, or Millennium style modeling amp, but you have any choice of modeler to use.

• Members

I amusing my Fender Mustang III poweramp section. 100 watts and 12" speaker...sounds great at low volumes. Outstanding. And when you need to crank...it'll do that too. Small portable package. In fact using this rig at a gig tonight. Other guy is using Diezel/4x12. icon_lol.gif We have a massive PA system .

I've also used my old twin and crown powerbase 2 and 4x12. I prefer the Mustang, just has the perfect blend of guitar amp and clean. idn_smilie.gif

The biggest hurdle is finding the right output mode, and right cabs. Some of my patches have cabs some don't. Some are preamp models some amp. It's a bit tricky, as you can imagine...but once you got it, sounds great.

At sound check...my rig sounded just as good as the Diezel. In my biased opinion of course. smile.gif

Edit...we're supposed to have a good board recording.....I will keep you updated if we get it.

• Members

Anomaly...I am not sure if snaplit is in the same boat I am...but I don't really like using headphones, even when, like the HD500, it sounds good. My studio is directly below the master bedroom, and usually the thumping keeps the lady at least aware I'm down there jamming, if not awake.

The Mustang has been a godsend. With the CD input, I can practice, and hear the air move, even if lightly. It's not thumpy enough, at low volumes, to do any damage to the upstairs walls. I feel it would be fine for same-level rooms too. Close the door and the baby and/or lady sleep just fine.

It does sound redundant to have both an HD500 and a Mustang III, but they are very different. And for some reason, play nice together. I am very impressed with the sound...well at least for now. icon_lol.gif Sometimes I take just the Mustang III, like ordinary rehearsals, sometimes both, like gigs. Have built-in backup system.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Stevetemp View Post
I amusing my Fender Mustang III poweramp section. 100 watts and 12" speaker...sounds great at low volumes. Outstanding. And when you need to crank...it'll do that too. Small portable package. In fact using this rig at a gig tonight. Other guy is using Diezel/4x12. icon_lol.gif We have a massive PA system .

I've also used my old twin and crown powerbase 2 and 4x12. I prefer the Mustang, just has the perfect blend of guitar amp and clean. idn_smilie.gif

The biggest hurdle is finding the right output mode, and right cabs. Some of my patches have cabs some don't. Some are preamp models some amp. It's a bit tricky, as you can imagine...but once you got it, sounds great.

At sound check...my rig sounded just as good as the Diezel. In my biased opinion of course. smile.gif

Edit...we're supposed to have a good board recording.....I will keep you updated if we get it.
I'd really like to hear that!!!

• Members

Yeah man. I mean, I recently did a gig where we played some metallica sabbath savatage and stuff like that, I had my brunetti mc-2 plus cabs, a friend of mine had his gt-8 hooked to my peavey XXX and ok, my tone when we rehearsed was really enjoyable to me and definetely punched physically better than the gt-8. In the gig, this doesn't always translate to micing and both tonalities blended just fine without drowning one out...Some differences become less defined under drums and voice anyway. End result, if you can play good and have an adequate soundman then this "intriguing" effect comes more often!!! If you find your cuts I'd really like to hear them!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I recently got an orange rockerverb 50 mk2...it's an amazing amp with nothing but a cord and a guitar.., but the bonus was the experiment of hooking the pod hd 500 through it...(plug the output of pod into the fx return)..the pod sounds great with rhythm, etc, direct with headphones,..but for leads it lacks a little something for me...it has a sterile quality, and the notes tend to die off too fast..but,...through the orange, even at super low volume,..the tone just explodes!!..it's not as cool as the amp itself, cranked, mind you,..and it's not perfect..(it gets a standing wave type effect..where one note resonates louder than the rest...but eq can probably correct that)...but I like it...it makes leads feel more alive and sustaining...I feel confident I can get some great recorded lead tones at 2am without the cops getting called!!...it aint cheap by any means,..but I freakin love this amp...if you have the money, and like a sweet distorted tone,..and a unique and beautiful clean tone,..and everything in between..and want a pod hd500 amp for nite time noodling,..don't hesitate...I only wish I had this amp 20 yrs ago...

Archived