I keep blowing speakers.

Forrrest

• Members

last year I blew two speakers while running two 4X12's (8XV30s) with a Fender Bassman (Sunn Model T reissue); 300watt head, 8X60watts of speakers.  And then in september I blew two more speakers when running a 4X12 of V30's with an OR120 head; 120watt head, 4X60 watt speakers.  Now i've just blown a Weber FC12 in a 4X12 running it with a DR201; 200 watt head, 4X100watts of speakers.

what am I doing wrong?

yes I play loud.  what kind of speakers do I need so I don't have to keep buying new ones?

• Members

Do what Mog said and check all your wiring. Mayeb even check your amp too. It's not just about watts.

Often blown speakers are the result of too little power being cranked, which cause unwanted amp distrortion (the bad kind). I don't think you have that problem with 300 watts. lol.

If I want to run an amp at it's higher power, beit a 1x12 combo or stack, I use EV 12L. They will scoff at your 300 watts. You might break your back and your ears, but they'll take whatever you can throw.

• Members

Forrrest wrote:

last year I blew two speakers while running two 4X12's (8XV30s) with a Fender Bassman (Sunn Model T reissue); 300watt head, 8X60watts of speakers.  And then in september I blew two more speakers when running a 4X12 of V30's with an OR120 head; 120watt head, 4X60 watt speakers.  Now i've just blown a Weber FC12 in a 4X12 running it with a DR201; 200 watt head, 4X100watts of speakers.

what am I doing wrong?

yes I play loud.  what kind of speakers do I need so I don't have to keep buying new ones?

Heh. Remind me to avoid being in the same zip code as you.

• Members

my guitar is a 7 string tuned to d standard with an extra low a. so we are tuned the same. i doubt i've come close to blowing anything... try some swamp thangs (comparable to the evm so they say... probably just cause they are both bassy but i don't know). they are only 90 bucks each and they are awesome, the swamp thang is rated at 150 watts so you know you wont fry your voice coils with four of them. and it handles lows really well... so people say... i don't push my speakers hard enough to hear them dying so idk. they have a very low xmax compared to pro audio/bass speakers, all guitar speakers do, so if you have to much lows and you play to loud that's it. watts don't mean much when you have enough bass to move your speaker past it's xmax, watch your speakers move and if they move really far get an eq pedal and turn down the frequencies below 100hz quite a bit. and also if you're playing that loud i think that answers your problem. if you can barely hear your drummer... i mean 3 db gain takes twice the power, twice the speaker excursion (i'd think) and gives you a fairly low volume increase. if you are say 9 db louder then you would be being balanced with your drummer your speakers are moving 8 times as far as they normally would. get a 120 watt tube amp head and 4 swamp thangs and you will probably be done blowing speakers. and like i said, not to much lows! you won't blow a 150 watt speaker with a 120 watt head if you keep the lows low enough, but 20 watts of pure 20 hz will probably shoot the cone out of the cab... just my thoughts, i may be wrong here though.

Archived