JAZZ TONES ON A CRATE VINTAGE CLUB 50 2X12 ???

hailsatan666

• Members

Hey guys, I'm looking at a st. louis crate vintage club 50 2x12 with the stock el84's.

I've heard and seen plenty on youtube about the overdrive channel, but can anyone tell me what the clean channel's like?

*******Can I get a clean, warm jazz tone for my neck humbucker at a decent volume?*******

I'm looking for the best cheap tube combo that I can get some good clean tones out of, and some nice break up if I like it. The 2 channels gives me hope for this one. 

For $200, I'm definitely checking it out tomorrow. 

THANK YOU

• Members

Honestly, any good tube amp with a respectable clean channel can get a good tone from a decent jazz box strung with flats. It's all in what you are looking for. I reckon.

But, those VC 50's were pretty good amps. Definitely worth the $200 to give it a shot if it's in good shape. You'll get 200 back out of it if you choose to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Tons of clean headroom.  You can't go wrong.  And if it's in good shape you should be able to flip it for $300.  I recently picked one up at a pawn shop for $100.  It didn't work but got it home and found the HT fuse blown.  Put in a new one and it was good to go.

This is my second and both had issues with cracked solder joints on the pots and jacks causing volume drop outs that flucuate as it heats.  No biggie if you can wield a soldering iron.

Archived