The Volume Box by Carl's Custom Guitars (Attenuator)

flip333

• Members

I saw this on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLUME-BOX-4-PEAVEY-CLASSIC-30-50-5150-XXX-DELTA-BLUES_W0QQitemZ190116541535QQihZ009QQcategoryZ38073QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It fits in the effects loop and is supposed to attenuate the amp volume so the power tubes saturate.

I thought a real attenuator is inserted between the amp and the speaker.

What do you think? I'm sure it cuts volume like a master volume but it does not look like a real attenuator.

• Members
I saw this on Ebay.

It fits in the effects loop and is supposed to attenuate the amp volume so the power tubes saturate.

I thought a real attenuator is inserted between the amp and the speaker.

What do you think? I'm sure it cuts volume like a master volume but it does not look like a real attenuator.

Kinda misleading by calling it a power soak, etc. But it doesn't say anying about power tubes, as you stated. (unless I missed it)You added that on your own. Why is that? Its not necessarily a useless device. In fact it can be very handy in certain instances. But it obviously ain't an attenuator.

• Members
no long answer needed.

It's a potentiometer wired in between 2 jacks.

I never figured anyone would buy one of these useless peices of crap, yet they've been on Ebay for years, so somebody's buying 'em.

There are situations where this device can be useful.

• Members

HAHA, You bought one...

E-pwned

What a stupid comment. No, I didn't buy one. I did throw one together when I had my Subway Rocket. I was using the amp in a fairly quiet setting and, while I could get nice preamp tones at that volume, it was at a volume point where the master was really touchy. Nearly impossible to get the perfect volume that I wanted. One spot would be not quite loud enough and the slightest movement would make the volume jump too far. Adding another volume control allowed me to be able to put the amp's master volume above that spot and be able to adjust more easily. And these are also useful with some non-master volume amps in order to get a little preamp crunch going at slightly lower volumes. I guess you don't understand these things, eh?

• Members

I didn't make up the power tube reference:

THE VOLUME BOX!!!

This is a VERY cool item, everyone knows that all tube amps sound AMAZING when cranked WAY up so that the tubes are really being pushed, but thats much too loud right? This simple little black box

Its true the ad does not say this device will push your power tubes, but this first statement alludes to what the Volume box will do....:rolleyes:

• Members

Its true the ad does not say this device will push your power tubes, but this first statement alludes to what the Volume box will do....
:rolleyes:

Yes, I understand that. But they were careful to word it so that they aren't actually lying. And as I explained previously, this device can help you push your preamp tubes harder in certain situations w/o adding overall volume. And I think that preamp tubes that are pushed can sound really good too. Do you not agree?

• Members

What a stupid comment. No, I didn't buy one. I did throw one together when I had my Subway Rocket. I was using the amp in a fairly quiet setting and, while I could get nice preamp tones at that volume, it was at a volume point where the master was really touchy. Nearly impossible to get the perfect volume that I wanted. One spot would be not quite loud enough and the slightest movement would make the volume jump too far. Adding another volume control allowed me to be able to put the amp's master volume above that spot and be able to adjust more easily. And these are also useful with some non-master volume amps in order to get a little preamp crunch going at slightly lower volumes. I guess you don't understand these things, eh?

I still say they're useless...

• Members

:eek:
:eek:

Well, ya. That would be very bad to put between your speaker out and your cab. But who would be that careless?

Actually, I might be thinking of something else, there was some "power soak" labeled device that was {censored}ing things up mentioned in the carvin forum a long time ago. I think it was basically the same thing, except advertised as an actual attenuator. I can't remember what it was called...

• Members

Have you used such a device in the loop of a non-master volume amp? Or in an amp with a jumpy master volume?

No, actually, I've never owned an amp with an effects loop but no master volume.

I have played them through small tube combo amps owned by others though and found them to be horrible replacements for a master volume.

Maybe if it was used like you mentioned to help deal with a sensitive master volume it would have a use, but the results were very poor when it comes to achieving what they advertise.

I see they've gone down in price too. I remember when they were going for $25+ on Ebay.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Wont hurt amp. Just like putting an vol pedal in the effects loop. I used to use a boss eq for this job, but I felt it added too much noise.

No, this is not like an active power soak. But the effect will be the same.

An active unit will be better as it will carry more tone.

But for 15 bucks for a living room appication... Why spend hundreds of dollars.

If you were in a recording studio with your marshall stack or something that would be one thing but for living rooms? The haters here are silly if you asked me.

Yeah, I bought one.

Archived