Lookin' for a VH tone with my Roadster

Apoc

• Members

Hello All,

Have any of you been able to dial in a Soldanoish VH tone (like the opening chords from Judgement Day and Poundcake) on a Mesa Boogie Roadster?  

I'm finding that no matter what I do, when I play the Poundcake intro. chords the amp just sounds like a jumbled ball of noise;  there is no definition to the notes whatsoever.  It's as if the amp is overloaded, resulting in an unpleasant sound.

I'm using the Roadster 2x12 combo, stock tubes except for 3 Mesa SPAX7's, a Peavey Wolfgang Standard, and a George L guitar cable.  I'm playing at loud-bedroom volumes.  Definitely loud enough to get the other tones sound great, especially for heavy metal chuggin'.  

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks!

• Members

So I tried out a Mesa Roadster head through a 4x12 cab at a local store today.  I'm 90% sure the issue I was having with the lack of clarity is due to old tubes.  The amp I played today simply had way more sustain, gain, clarity, treble, and FELT like a different (better) beast all together.  And I played at very low volumes so I doubt the difference in cabs had much to do with it.  After I scrape together some cash for a retube, I should be fine.

Archived