Intro to my rig and its reconstruction - Fender, Gibson DiMarzio, Orange, EV

zer0psi

• Members

Consider this chronicle of my endeavour to restructure and therein, perfectly and to the best of my ability, taper my setup to my preferences, tendencies, and desires - aesthetically, tonally, and tangibly.  I am attempting this via judicious and dilligent research, leading to the trade/sale of my existing rig in order to finance/appropriate the new.  I suppose I should start with our initial 'Pre' setup:

-Fender Japan E Series Telecaster Standard, black/white/maple

-Fender Japan Pawn Shop Special Mustang, Candy Apple Red/mint/rosewood

-Peavey 6505 212 60W combo

Already gone is the 6505 a.k.a. 5150.  I loved this amp and had it for a long time.  It was difficult to get rid of as it's gain was so thick and saturated, providing a clear, chunky, evil tone.  Cleans weren't too bad either.  Versatility and mid gain weren't its strong points, though they were never meant to be.  The biggest nail in the coffin was sheerly physical: the weight/size made it far too cumbersome and tiring to move, pushing me towards a segregated head/cabinet setup.

The Telecaster is great - just a SOLID, killer 50's spec Tele with one change - it's a toploader.   With 10's it plays BEAUTIFULLY and sounds awesome.  I have no problems keeping it; however if one of my DREAM Teles comes about, it'll go it's own way to finance the new purchase.  So it goes.

The Mustang Special - I want to love it more than I do.  It's light, comfortable, plays well, is gorgeous, and has a TON of switching options.  That said, the smaller (vs. a 'regular' Mustang) body and short scale kills sustain, even with a string thru Strat hardtail.  This unfortunately outweighs all the assets, especially when combined with the 24" scale's attentuated highs.  Trades here we come!

I still have both, but have added a third - an outsider!  Coming in outta left field is my newest love, the most simple and raw guitar I've owned.  Pure utility and amazing for just that reason - the Gibson SGJ.  While price and looks wise it seems much like a regular SG Special type, it has some key features that really sold me on it:

-MAPLE neck (PERFECT - fat with a flat bottom, resonant, smoothly finished)

-24th fret

-no pickguard (sick)

-black tuner buttons/knobs/pickup covers

-open grain 'rubbed' finishes - LOVE the brown.

I think the maple neck is what makes it amazing.  It definitely contributes to the tone due to resonant mass/size, and the change to maple brings some clarity/top end detail, bridging that elusive Fender/Gibson gap.  It also helps the cleans in my opinion - just a more focused, clearer sound.  Beautiful.

Up for decision time is my next Telecaster - deciding on something nice and (hopefully) MIA.  My #1, that's just DOMINATING my thoughts, is a black on black G.E. Smith - Barden/DiMarzio AreaT pickups, steel wool'ed neck, halfbridge, and all the case candy make it amazingly enticing.  The best part is the neck: a FAT 'U' (my favorite!) w/ 7.25" radius and black banjo-inspired inlays.  Drool.

lso looking at the '72RI Telecaster Custom and variants, as well as the FSR La Cabronita.  REALLY liked the MIM version I tried but not for $800 new - maybe used.  Also played a few AVRI versions that were killer.  The best and what I ultimately want, however, is the 60th Anniversary '75RI Telecaster Custom: DOUBLE BLACK BOUND natural ash body, maple neck w BLACK BLOCK INLAYS, WRHB, and all the other Custom jazz.  It's pricey, but damn it if it isn't my dream.  The LaCab is awesome - the Filtertrons are a killer fit with the Tele.  The neck shape is nothing special to me, and pine bodies are cheap - maybe I'll just go Frankentele for my TV Jones fix?

The SG's purchase throws a bit of a banana peel in the road that is my plan.  The Mustang was supposed to be my Fender SG: shorter scale, rosewood, hardtail, dual humbuckers.  Well, it didn't do that to my liking, but the SG sure as hell has that down.  Since the humbucking mule slot is now filled, I find myself wondering what's next.  I'm leaning towards a Mustang because I've always loved them, and already have a 24.75" and 25.5" I plan on keeping, so why not have all three lengths.

I DO NOT want a '65RI - the slab body is not my preference.  I'm looking to go either 70's US vintage or CIJ/MIJ Kurt Cobain.  I'm looking for the contoured body, rosewood board, Dynamic trem, and hopefully a humbucker @ least in the bridge.  I've found a REALLY sweet naturally relic'ed 1978 in Sunburst and it's killing me.  I want one of these with a DiMarzio ProTrack/SuperDistortion setup and some cool wiring trick.  Between this, the SG, and the Tele - I'm covered.

Now onto the amp:

I thought I wanted a VHT - I had one 5 years ago that was great, but haven't bonded with any of the examples I've tried recently.  So I'm finally breaking down and following my instincts: buying Orange.  The 'easy' choice is an OR15H - $700 new, $600 restock.  Cheap, sounds GREAT, loud/moves air, and readily available.  It's price allows budgeting for a dedicated clean head - awesome.  Also considering used Rocker 30's, as well as an AWESOME, RARE OR50H reissue, with the KILLER HF Drive control.  Want.

I have a few choice in terms of cabs.  Step one is to decide between a 2x12 and 4x12.  The 2x12 is more portable, cheaper, and will get the job done.  The 4x12 will fill more space/sound fuller, at added cost/encumbrance.  On the 2x12 side, I'm looking at a SWEET EVM12L (!) loaded Ear Candy for $400, or a G12T-75'ed Avatar 2x12 for $300.

For 4x12 options, I have a Randall LynchBox with Eminence Super V12's (sick) for $400, an empty Orange PPC412 for $300 (would get filled with SwampThang/Wizard combo), or an Avatar Contemporary G412 with TexasHeats for $300.  Leaning significantly towards the 4x12 realm. Oh, the choices.

When all I said and done, I'll have:

-Fender Telecaster ('72/'75RI Custom, '79RI Thinline, or G.E. Smith)

-Fender Mustang

-Gibson SGJ

-Orange OR15/OR50H

-T.B.A. 4x12

This is where I want to be, and then can move on to design/construction of my pedal board/array.  Good that I can dedicate myself as I have no clude where to start.  Pics will commence as progress is made.  Any advice, insight, comments, etc. all encourage and welcomed.

Thanks!

a/c

Archived