Eminence Delta 12-A's.. Any users?

100 watt

• Members

For guitar? maybe if used more with other speakers. I know a couple guys that have them and like the extended low end in a 412, but as far as mids, they are more like a Swamp Thang (not as present). One guy I know has 4 in a bottom stack and V30's in his top stack. It does sound pretty good and more bassy than the standard bottom he normally had also with V30's. Might accommodate low tuning and 7 string guitars more.

Also look at the wattage. You have to drive those pretty damn hard compared to most guitar speakers.

• Members

For guitar? maybe if used more with other speakers. I know a couple guys that have them and like the extended low end in a 412, but as far as mids, they are more like a Swamp Thang (not as present). One guy I know has 4 in a bottom stack and V30's in his top stack. It does sound pretty good and more bassy than the standard bottom he normally had also with V30's. Might accommodate low tuning and 7 string guitars more.

Also look at the wattage. You have to drive those pretty damn hard compared to most guitar speakers.

Driving them wont be a problem. 100 watt NMV Marshalls & a Randall RG100ES. All of them like high wattage speakers so no biggie. Im not a fan of speaker break up.

They'll be going in a Marshall MF280B, but not in standard 4x12 configuration. Im setting that cab up to where I can run 2 heads with it. (like running two 2x12 cabs). the Delta A's will be mixed with Delta 12LF's (bass amp / PA speakers)

• Members

Makes you wonder how they spec'd it out with a 2.5-5k bump
:lol:
. Deceptive imo because they seem to cut off more drastic at 3.5k.

Yeah. Honestly, I wasnt a fan of them at all. I had them for about a week before I was looking for something else.

• Members

I really like mine in my closed back 1x12. Great for chugging (won't fart out). Honestly reminds me a bit of a more neutral swamp thang. +1 on the not bright, but I wouldn't call them dark either. Neutral and very powerful.

• Members

Just a quick edit, are we talking delta Pro 12a or just 12a? I sprang for the pro as it sounds a lot more like the EV12L. I suggest going for that one, as the models are indeed different. Sorry for chiming in if it's the 12a you're after.

• Members

i use a delta pro 12a. dunno bout the straight up d12a with the press frame.

the dp12a is a freaking amazing speaker, and loves an 806 cab. WAY nicer sounding to my ears than the EVM i replaced, which was scritchy and harsh. the dp12a is like a 400 watt cl80 with a softer top end.

• Members

i use a delta pro 12a. dunno bout the straight up d12a with the press frame.

the dp12a is a freaking amazing speaker, and loves an 806 cab. WAY nicer sounding to my ears than the EVM i replaced, which was scritchy and harsh. the dp12a is like a 400 watt cl80 with a softer top end.

Like a CL80..AWESOME. CL80's / MC90's/c-90's are my fave speakers. The super bright top is my only gripe with them. I have always been able to tweak my eq and presence to make up for it.The DP12A could be my perfect speaker.

• Members

naw-- they're fantastic, and SO well built. i use one in a thiele 112, and as soon as i turned it loose the first time, i knew i was home. it can have STUPID amounts of bottom end, a mild easy mid, and a subdued top end-- but most things in a thiele do. i'd put it up there with fanes and EVs for sure for being a really overbuilt and great UNflappable driver. it's even better when it's mixed with something with a chirpier top-- and that's pretty much how i use it-- because i'm only running 15-20 watts into mine. ran a 100 w JMP into it... didn't care at all, and sounded pretty much the same.

• Members

naw-- they're fantastic, and SO well built. i use one in a thiele 112, and as soon as i turned it loose the first time, i knew i was home. it can have STUPID amounts of bottom end, a mild easy mid, and a subdued top end-- but most things in a thiele do. i'd put it up there with fanes and EVs for sure for being a really overbuilt and great UNflappable driver. it's even better when it's mixed with something with a chirpier top-- and that's pretty much how i use it-- because i'm only running 15-20 watts into mine. ran a 100 w JMP into it... didn't care at all, and sounded pretty much the same.

Spot on. I approve this message.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Yes, Fanes are costy but they're so good it's silly. Those are all I use for dirt.

On the Eminence Delta A it is a sweet speaker that certainly benefits from having its dustcaps replaced. The stock ones are felt, which is known to eat highend - lets remember this speaker was intended as a PA driver with not a thought wasted on instrument amplification - so one in paper or even aluminium for those so inclined is really a must for a broader response.

Never played through an EV but can imagine the Delta as kind of having the depth of an EV but the wood/ less pristine lows and lower mids of a shallow curved cone, like a Lansing style. Also they have a rather rounded and solid (=not that jagged) mid peak that I favour.

These are what I use for Fender cleans and I prefer them to Weber Californias, for instance. Those Calis may have been less headroom, being alnicos, but the Deltas are far smoother and somehow... organic yet very responsive. May sound like a cliche, but I think it's a hard trick to pull off as most speakers tend to be mainly one of the two.

Archived