Really struggling with this Laney Ironheart. Need help!

Likes Loomis

• Members

OK...try to keep it short here.

Most of you know I have owned this amp for a few months now, and have not been getting along with it at all.

It's just not what I though it was gonna be (Laney's take on a 5150).

Let's skip the part where you all scorn me for impulse buying, and discuss what my options are for turning this mess into something useable for me.

I bought a 5150 the very first year it came out, long ago and loved it. I have also owned a Laney VH100R and loved it too. I bought the Ironheart thinking I was getting a good combination of these 2 amps.

I feel I DID NOT get that, but instead got an ice picky...not so "hi-gain", decent-at-best amp.

Since I'm basically broke, and would have to sell/trade gear to come up with a solution, is there any way I could send the amp to get it modded for better parts and {censored}? I know nothing about amp mods and how it works, so I'm just spit-balling here.

Another option is to sell/trade the amp for one that I want, with pedals on my end to maybe make up the difference.

And finally...and I'm dead friggin' serious here, I even considered putting an ad in c-list to have an experienced amp-tweaker come over and really try to help me dial in a good tone, for like 50 bux or something.

Stupid {censored} is stupid...I already know, so save it.

Just tell me what you think I should do to get something I actually enjoy playing through: (read - 5150 III 50 watt).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm using a whitebox 2x12 with private jacks.

As far as settings go, it would take me a week to post all of them I've tried.

I don't wanna just give up...in case their is a good amp in there hiding somewhere, and I just have not found it yet, but {censored}...I dialed my H&K in, in like 2 hours and that {censored}er ROARS!

• Members

Well what kinds of tones are you after?

What sort of volumes do you play at?

I'm by no means an expert on the Ironheart, but i've been tinkering with them for a year or so and the other guitarist in my band has one so i've spent a little time dialling them in.

• Members

I truly believe that you should know within minutes of plugging into an amp whether or not it's going to work for you...

...like Raf mentioned in another topic last week... when he first plugged into his Mak4, or his 6505 combo... he just knew they were "it".... just like you can plug into other amps and immediately know that they are "not" it...

If you haven't gotten a tone you are in love with by now, you aren't going to get it... and even if you DO... chances are you may not even realize it now because of the pain in the ass tweaking mission you've been on... I've had amps that I fought with forever... and hated the tone from... and gone back and heard live clips of me playing with that amp and it sounded AMAZING... but because I was so pissed off at constantly tweaking the amp I kinda had a mental block that I just couldn't get a good tone from it...

Sucks you are broke, but if you have a chance to get out from under the amp and get something you want with minimal loss I say go for it... don't get it modded, modding is for taking an amp you love and making it better, not an amp you hate and "hoping" it's gonna make it work...

Good luck brother!

• Members

Well what kinds of tones are you after?

What sort of volumes do you play at?

I'm by no means an expert on the Ironheart, but i've been tinkering with them for a year or so and the other guitarist in my band has one so i've spent a little time dialling them in.

Right now I'm a bedroom player, but I bought it with the intention of getting in a band, and having a decent amp already.

I live in a house, so I pretty much play everywhere from halfway loud volume and lower. I rarely crank it, but I can open it up almost midway, and not get flack from the family or neighbors.

• Members

I've found the best tones seem to come from keeping the channel volumes at about 70%.

As with all Laneys, they really come to life at volume, the brightness you hear on your own seems to disappear in a band situation. These amps are also big fans of either the Celestion h30 or greenback, i found it a bit too harsh with v30's.

Whenever i've used one, i've always set up the crunch channel with the bass pulled and set round to 1 o'clock, mids pulled and set to 1 o'clock, treble on 10 o'clock. Dynamics round at 3 o'clock, Tone at 2 o'clock. I'm not a massive gain user so i had the gain set to about 11 o'clock and the boost engaged at 9 o'clock.

• Members

OK...try to keep it short here.

Most of you know I have owned this amp for a few months now, and have not been getting along with it at all.

It's just not what I though it was gonna be (Laney's take on a 5150).

Let's skip the part where you all scorn me for impulse buying, and discuss what my options are for turning this mess into something useable for me.

I bought a 5150 the very first year it came out, long ago and loved it. I have also owned a Laney VH100R and loved it too. I bought the Ironheart thinking I was getting a good combination of these 2 amps.

I feel I DID NOT get that, but instead got an ice picky...not so "hi-gain", decent-at-best amp.

Since I'm basically broke, and would have to sell/trade gear to come up with a solution, is there any way I could send the amp to get it modded for better parts and shit? I know nothing about amp mods and how it works, so I'm just spit-balling here.

Another option is to sell/trade the amp for one that I want, with pedals on my end to maybe make up the difference.

And finally...and I'm dead friggin' serious here, I even considered putting an ad in c-list to have an experienced amp-tweaker come over and really try to help me dial in a good tone, for like 50 bux or something.

Stupid shit is stupid...I already know, so save it.

Just tell me what you think I should do to get something I actually enjoy playing through: (read - 5150 III 50 watt).

Man, there's nothing at all wrong with buying an amp having certain expectations and then being disappointed. I've been there a number of times with certain gear, especially when getting something shipped to me instead of having a chance to try it out. But even trying something out may not be good enough when it comes to getting the amp with the rest of your gear, in a mix, etc....

IMO if you don't like an amp after this long, if you can make a deal then it's time to get something you'll most likely prefer. Good luck! :cool:

• Members

I play the GH not the Iron Heart, but one thing about Laneys is the tone stack is very different and "normal"EQ settings don't really work well. At the moment I am setting my treble at 4 and my mids at 3 and that's NOT a scooped or muffled tone. I would start with your eq set to zero and turn the mids and highs up gradually until you have just enough mids and bite, then set the bass knob. You may find the tones you want with some EQ settings you'd never thought it would work.

Having said that, if you're after the 5150 tone, you can probably sell your amp and buy an used 5150 without any extra money out of pocket.

• Members

I play the GH not the Iron Heart, but one thing about Laneys is the tone stack is very different and "normal"EQ settings don't really work well. At the moment I am setting my treble at 4 and my mids at 3 and that's NOT a scooped or muffled tone. I would start with your eq set to zero and turn the mids and highs up gradually until you have just enough mids and bite, then set the bass knob. You may find the tones you want with some EQ settings you'd never thought it would work.

Having said that, if you're after the 5150 tone, you can probably sell your amp and buy an used 5150 without any extra money out of pocket.

This! Laneys are different when it comes to tweaking. They also need to be loud to open up, that could be a big part of your issue. 5150's aren't a bedroom amp either though they need some volume also.

• Members

A lot of what you don't like about the tone by yourself may be exactly what works in an actual band mix. If you bought this for live use then try it with a band first before you make any decisions. Dialing it in on it's own has very little relevance to what works in a band until you know what it should sound like in a band mix etc. If you're only going to play on your own than sure maybe not the right amp for you.

• Members

Get rid of it. This isn't rocket science. If you've turned the knobs and still hate the tone, it's not worth it to keep beating your head against a wall. Sell it and get something you will like.

This, So this.

Laney's are often bright amps. Great for a band not so good at home.

• Members

This, So this.

Laney's are often bright amps. Great for a band not so good at home.

A Laney with the treble at 0 is not bright, actually it's pretty muffled at that point. You just need to start there and stop once you get the amount of highs you need. It will be a pretty low setting, but that's how they work.

The same happens with Mesa Marks (but on the opposite side) : they're pretty muffled until you find out you have to runs your bass at 0-2. Then they're awesome.

There is a lot of user error when it comes to Laneys. They're not like Marshalls where a 5-5-5 on the EQ is a good starting point. Their tone stack is really different.

Of course, this might just not be that amp for him, that happens with any amp. There is a thread right now with a guy struggling with a 5153, which is regarded by many - myself included - as a great amp. Not every amp will work for every player, but the "ear piercing" thing is user error.

• Members

TS9. Do not use the boost on the amp.

Dynamics high, tone below 5. Keep the Watts knob above 5.

Bass knob pulled, I don't care for the other 2 tone shifts, but that's just me. I run a pretty flat EQ'd soloing tone on the lead channel, and a slightly lowered mid tone on the rhythm/crunch channel.

If you can't find a tone you like, sell it. This amp is not like a 5150, though it is Laney's entry into the modern high gain market.

• Members

buy a blackstar, much nicer amps!

lol...

Actually I was just playing my little HT-5 rig tonight at TV volume thinking what an awesome little amp it really is. I'm running it through a great cab (Boogie Thiele) and some really nice effects gear so it's a rig, not just an amp but it's a stellar little home setup. Much better than something like a Tiny Terror for home jamming.

• Members

lol...

Actually I was just playing my little HT-5 rig tonight at TV volume thinking what an awesome little amp it really is. I'm running it through a great cab (Boogie Thiele) and some really nice effects gear so it's a rig, not just an amp but it's a stellar little home setup. Much better than something like a Tiny Terror for home jamming.

Although i agree with you, I was only trolling as hard as i could.

But the HT-5 is amazing for home use, i ised to play it through a 1960a cab!

Archived