Roland Cube 30X Speaker Swap?

Twebbz

• Members

The problem is that the inbuilt digital models have been 'tuned' to the frequency response of that particular speaker - which is pretty close to a hifi speaker.

I haven't tried this with the 30X, but taking the speaker output wires of the older cube 30 and connecting them directly to my 1x12" Cabinet with a Celestion Vintage 30, made things sound worse all around.

• Members

It is possible that something like a high quality JBL might improve things a little. But, going by people that have tried numerous speakers with/in a Microcube, it quickly becomes a fruitless exercise when you just end up going back to the original speaker.

When the Cubes came out, they were right at the top of their class. Primarily because they used decent speakers and amp circuits to start with.

That is not to say that there isn't room for improvement, but IMO this is one place where saving your money for a bigger/better amp would be a better solution.

• Members

I would say go for it!

I have a Roland Cube 30 (not 30X) and replace original speaker with a Jensen C10Q. It got much more "real" guitar tones and much better overall.

Original speaker was very harsh. I noticed that after instaling this new one.

You could try with other speakers, and see what sounds good to you.

Regards

• 9 months later...
  • Members

I replaced the speaker in my Cube 30X with Jensen Mod 50 and I must say that is quite an improvement. The original speaker was too boomy for my taste and the new speaker is more balanced. BTW I'm using the clean channel all the time so I cannot comment on the speaker capabilities on modeling issues.

I asked for it in another post before changing the speaker because I had a hard time accessing the speaker at first. From the back of the amp - no way! You do it from the front of the amp. You remove the grill (4 screws) and remove the 4 screws that hold the speaker and that's it. No de-soldering, nothing complicated.

• Members

I replaced the speaker in my Cube 30X with Jensen Mod 50 and I must say that is quite an improvement. The original speaker was too boomy for my taste and the new speaker is more balanced. BTW I'm using the clean channel all the time so I cannot comment on the speaker capabilities on modeling issues.

I asked for it in another post before changing the speaker because I had a hard time accessing the speaker at first. From the back of the amp - no way! You do it from the front of the amp. You remove the grill (4 screws) and remove the 4 screws that hold the speaker and that's it. No de-soldering, nothing complicated.

:facepalm::facepalm:

seriously, how does this always happen?

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hello all,

Try playing it with the two 2" port holes plugged first before swapping the speaker.  I think the problem is the port holes cancels and muddies certain frequencies in the spectrum.  Read my story below.

I had the Roland Cube 20XL, and it sounded so good such that when Best Buy had the Cube 30X on sale for $100, I had to buy it.  When I tried the 30X, it didn't sound good at all compared to the 20XL.  I played a few more week, breaking it in, but no luck.  I thought the bass was boomy and the midrange was muddied.  I thought it was the speaker, so after some researching and when musiciansfriend sent me  a 20% off coupon stacked with 10% off accessories coupon, I just had to get the Eminence Patriot Ragin' Cajun 10" speaker.  It has so many rave reviews on it, so I was excited waiting for the darn thing to arrive.  I installed it over the weekend, and I had to solder the wires since I've never like the plug-in clips.  The EPRC speaker has eight screw holes ... no problem, I just drill and put in 4 more wood screws.  Test drove it ... and ... I was disappointed.  It sounded a little better, but still the boomy bass and muddied midrange.  The high is definitely better, and it sounds louder.  I knew it wasn't the speaker, so I inspected and with the grill off, I noticed the two 2" front ports just below the speaker.  Since I have some experience with speaker design, I decided to plug those port hole and gave it a test run.  WOW!!!  The sound is waaayyy better.  The bass is tight and the midrange is clear.  So, it could be my preference of sound, but do try to play with the plugged port holes first before swapping speaker.  

Archived