I guess Marshall finally got pissed at Blackstar...

MatchFive

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by grunge782 View Post
I just find the DSL's to be lacking in character. They aren't bad, but personally I'd rather have a blackstar idn_smilie.gif. Of course if I really had to choose in that price range, I'd pick a Laney over both.

But at least Marshall is trying.
you mean the old ones or new ones? DSL's are fantastic amps

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by grunge782 View Post
I guess the old ones. I had a bandmate who had the 50 watt. Like I said they aren't bad amps, but they always left me wanting to play a jcm800 instead.
I have played both and the DSL is up there with the 800 it's just a slightly different beast.
The DSL the is the only amp I regret selling.

• Members

I don't know if the demo shows the amp or not, but it does sound a bit on the thin side. I don't exactly understand the blackstar comparison, I don't even think they are aimed at the same buyer except perhaps the price.

Anyway, here is some DSL 50. Just 10 watts more made in the UK though:

Those go for really low used.

All the new DSL videos sound congested vs the older ones a bit...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tech21man View Post
I don't know if the demo shows the amp or not, but it does sound a bit on the thin side. I don't exactly understand the blackstar comparison, I don't even think they are aimed at the same buyer except perhaps the price.

Now that sounds great!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tech21man View Post

Hey, that's me in the video! I miss the DSL, but now that I'm recording an hard rock record and possibly back to play live I'm looking around for a DSL half stack...
BTW, that video was boosted with a Bad Monkey

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Neilrocks25 View Post
I live the way people judge an amp on a you tube demo, I will wait untill I try one myself.
I would go for the head though, but I am cheap so I would go for an old second hand one I already know the old
DSL's sound great.
Yeah you are essentially right. Youtube compression plays tricks often! But if there is even just one demo that rocks, that is sometimes enough to get me going, gasing etc. Better than nothing, because sometimes, you can even try the amp yourself and not get a good taste of what it can really do in a short amount of time, or given the volume/room etc!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Neilrocks25 View Post
I live the way people judge an amp on a you tube demo, I will wait untill I try one myself.
I would go for the head though, but I am cheap so I would go for an old second hand one I already know the old
DSL's sound great.
Yeah you are essentially right. Youtube compression plays tricks often! But if there is even just one demo that rocks, that is sometimes enough to get me going, gasing etc. Better than nothing, because sometimes, you can even try the amp yourself and not get a good taste of what it can really do in a short amount of time, or given the volume/room etc!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rockappalla View Post
Hey, that's me in the video! I miss the DSL, but now that I'm recording an hard rock record and possibly back to play live I'm looking around for a DSL half stack...
BTW, that video was boosted with a Bad Monkey
You did them? Man what a tone...I loved your other videos as well, this one I have in my favourites listen to find it easily! I've got to be honest I never got a DSL/TSL sounding as good as this. Was it stock? And that les paul is drool worthy congratulations on the build.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tech21man

View Post

You did them? Man what a tone...I loved your other videos as well, this one I have in my favourites listen to find it easily! I've got to be honest I never got a DSL/TSL sounding as good as this. Was it stock? And that les paul is drool worthy congratulations on the build.

Thanks dude, yes the DSL was stock, that video was Les Paul -> Bad Monkey -> DSL -> Framus cab with V30's and recorded with a condenser mic (cheap behringer)

Archived